Polish

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Dixon

Polish

Post by David Dixon »

Does anyone have a favorite chrome polish for end plates etc....

Butch
77 Emmons Push Pull, Emmons Legrande II Nashville 400 (Mod), Nashville 400 (Fox Mod) Walker Stereo Steel, TC Effects, BJS Bar
Ray Anderson

Post by Ray Anderson »

I use Mothers' or Maguires wheel polish. The more you rub the prettier it gets. Hope this helps. :wink:
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Yours are chromed? Cool.
Mine are all aluminum And I also use Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish.

$5 at Walmart, doesn't need much elbow grease.
In about 10 minutes, there will be somebody to suggest a 30 dollar product that requires none.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

I think I read that Mullen Guits. have chrome plated end plates. RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

One of my friends has all aluminum on his Zum polished AND CHROMED. Said it was a $500 option
Last edited by Lane Gray on 2 Jul 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Okay Lane! Okay!
Here's an important point I've left out of previous posts on this totally worn out subject! CONDITION! If you guitar has been cared for, and polished fairly often, any cheap product will probably work. If you're restoring a guitar that hasn't been polished in decades, and the aluminum is oxidized and looks more like lead or pewter, forget Maguiare's, NevrDull, etc. You're wasting your time, effort, and elbow grease. That's when you need the California Custom products. And,,, if the parts are scratched, swhirlmarked, etc, nothing will restore them to new-looking condition like a good machine buffing. Then you can use anything regularly to make them look nice. We don't know the condition of the OP's guitar.

And if the OP's plates are really chromed, CC products work great, and remove rust too. I feel like a 1920's John Deere salesman!
"But farmer Bob, you can plow twenty acres with a tractor in the time it takes you to plow one with your mules."
"Yeah, but my mules do the job."
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Actually, John, I expect to get around to the CC products on the legs of the MSA. They have some rust spots taking out the chrome.
I've got nothing against them; I happened to have had some Mother's left behind by a previous gf.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I thought this thread and the other polish thread recently run should be named "How many ways can you spell Meguiar's?" :lol: :lol: ;-)

Actually, for years I thought the name was pronounced to rhyme with Jag-u-ar. :oops:

I tend to agree with John. If your aluminum is pitted, rough, badly oxidized, has deep scratches etc., it needs to go to a professional finisher to be sanded and buffed. No polish made will net you the results you're seeking.

Polish is a cleaning, shining agent. Any good, non-abrasive polish will restore shine to a smooth, well maintained finish. I'm just using what I happen to have on hand.

FWIW, I'm working on a guitar right now. I have Happich, Mothers, some stuff that came from Jagwire I believe called JSC alum polish, something named Scratch-Out, and another Mother's product, etc.

This guitar is 30 yrs. old. The alum. is in good shape. I'm using a 3 step method.

1: Happich Semi-Chrome for a base cleaning and shine.

2: Mother's Mag Polish for a nice gleam.

3: Rain Dance, regular old automotive carnauba wax applied with a soft cloth and buffed with another cloth.
I was amazed at the shine after the auto wax.

Whatever you use to polish your aluminum, try a good automotive polish as a last step and I think you'll be pleased. The Scratch Out stuff works pretty well as a final step also.
Allen Kentfield

Post by Allen Kentfield »

Sorry, I read it wrong. I thought there was going to be some great polka tab! :D
Bob Mainwaring

Post by Bob Mainwaring »

Hi David,
Like I've mentioned in quite a few threads regarding aluminum or chrome to be polished, the only great thing I've used over a period of a good many years is Solvol Autosol which comes in a black and gold coloured toothpaste sized tube.
It will also polish brass and copper.
You'll be "hooked" on it once you've used it believe me :D

All Z.B.est.

Bob Mainwaring.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Bob I agree.Autosol is a great polish. Although I should try the California stuff since so many are touting it, Autosol is a favourite.
To me, aluminum has a life of its own. Sometimes it cooperates, other times it won't take on a shine.
Autosol has saved the day many times.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

it may have been a coincidence but, my newest steel was kept covered at home with a big name brand cover with a soft foam like interior.. the end plates just clouded over.
I tried all the usual products, the wadding, the pastes , nothing worked very well..
I went to the local big rig store a Peterbilt dealer and got the Cali Custom neutralizer and the purple polish.. it's a year later, the cover is in a closet somewhere.. and the end plates look like mirrors.
It took only minutes to bring the shine back.
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

Simichrome available at many bike and/or cycle shops works very well. Apply it with a cotton ball or a piece of an old cotton T-shirt. Use it sparingly....it goes a long way.
PRR
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Lane Gray wrote:Actually, John, I expect to get around to the CC products on the legs of the MSA. They have some rust spots taking out the chrome.
I've got nothing against them; I happened to have had some Mother's left behind by a previous gf.
She didn't leave that Mothers for your guitar,she was hoping you'd polish up your act :lol: :lol: :lol: (kiddin' Lane)
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Here's a couple of lousy pics from my ancient camera. But if you look close at the first pic, you can see the rust. 2/3 minutes later the rust is gone, with virtually no rubbing at all. Coulda done the whole leg in that time.

Rust completely gone.

CC Deoxidizer and Purple Polish