PSG seat

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Anthony Minstein

PSG seat

Post by Anthony Minstein »

Quick poll....who prefers a drummers throne and who a PST pack a seat and why?

I've been using a drummers throne for years...but thought I would solicit others opinions.
Carter S10 Professional
JazzKat Solid State Amp
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

PST?
I use a Steeler's Choice. I find it convenient that the seat carries the important stuff, and that the sidekick has strings right there should I break one. I suppose I could throw a throne in a duffel bag along with the current contents of the seat, but that sounds like one more piece to keep track of. And thirty seconds of panic when you break a string as you try to remember where the &%#!?$# you put the duffel bag.
I guess I COULD play in a greatkilt and keep strings in my sporran.
Last edited by Lane Gray on 24 Jun 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Anthony Minstein

Post by Anthony Minstein »

Fumbling fat fingers fouling...

PSG...not PST
Carter S10 Professional
JazzKat Solid State Amp
Frank Montmarquet

Post by Frank Montmarquet »

Neither, I use an On Stage Keyboard seat. Cheap, sturdy and adjustable.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've used a Steel Seat for at least 25 years and would not go back to anything else.

My first seat was one built by Klein Guitar Co, that I bought at St Louis. I built some seats in the 90's and now have a Steeler's Choice Sidekick with back.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

I like an On Stage seat also..Click below
Sold my backrest sidecar which hurt my back loaded with junk.

http://steel-guitar-austin.com/56.html
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

On Stage Keyboard seat... Only because I don't know any better....
Joe Naylor

my 2 cents

Post by Joe Naylor »

Anthony - of course I think steelseat since I build them.

What I hear from customers that have used drum seats or chairs is that the steelseat are built for the correct height. I just had a customer that wanted me to build a seat and did not specify a height. (he did want the minimum to be whatever my standard seat height) This is common so I simply built my standard height seat with adjustable legs. After he used it on 3 or 4 gigs he send me an email stating that he would never adjust the seat because it made him set up straight and was higher than he had been using in the past. (he is 6' tall approx.)

He also commented that he threw away the bag of stuff that he had been carrying around and found that he had too many duplicate tools of all kinds in that bag.

I have also heard the same from guitar players and bass players.

Just a comment that happen recently.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Jim Venverloh

Post by Jim Venverloh »

Hate to break the momentum.......but...I use the top of the line Pearl Drum Throne for a few reasons:

1. The material they use for cushion is the same material they use in expensive wheelchair cushions for quadraplegics. Distributes the weight evenly. No sore butt even after hours playing.

2. The seat has a "cleave" on the backside so there is NO pressure on the Coccyx area.

3. I need some kind of back support. This seat offers totally adjustable back support........any height.......any angle.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Jim V
Joe Naylor

More info

Post by Joe Naylor »

Well Jim have you tried a steelseat. I have adjustable height and back rest angle and use the same foam in military aircraft so it is firm. I have swivels in addition to all that there is storage - with 5 models you can pick how much storage you want or need.

The Lite was designed to fit under an airplane seat and still have plenty of room for a gig. Clear up the the Original with SideKar that has lots of room. As you can see on my web site a guitar player uses on for his effects unit plus he sells CD's right out of his seat.

Drummers have bought steelseats too to have storage for different amounts of stuff too

Just wanting to get out all the facts

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Arne Odegard

Post by Arne Odegard »

I have a Steelseat from Joe that I bought 2 years ago. I bought the lite model with back rest and have flown from California to Norway with it and had no problems bringing it on board with me. The seat is still just as firm and comfortable as when it was new.
Its very well built, looks good, its firm and comfortable. All in all an excellent choice.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

I started with a pack seat, but eventually I switched to a Roc-n-Soc drum throne (this type - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-pe ... c=3WWRWXGB) because I found that it gave me a better range of motion in the legs. I also like being able to swivel a little, as it seems to allow better interaction with other band members. And since I double on banjo & guitar, I can move more easily behind the steel. Quickly adjustable height is nice too.

Drawback - I have to carry another bag for my volume pedal, tuner, cables etc. But I'm used to it now.
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I love love love my steelers choice pack-a seats (i have two) !!
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Lane....if you played in a "Kilt" and kept to true Scottish tradition, you'd be gaining alot of female fans in the audience...perhaps a few male ones too :lol: :lol:

Micky Byrne U.K.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I am afraid I don't have the ba..., no, I don't have the cojo..., no, I don't have the guts to wear it in the regimental style!
Last edited by Lane Gray on 26 Jun 2012 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

I have a steelseat.com seat and I alos have an Outwest pacaseat. Both really good seats. Steelers choice seats are great too from what I hear.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

I gig with a pac-seat and practice with a throne. While some may like the swivel action of the drum thrones I find it a hindrance, but then I always wear a seat belt when I drive for the same reason....
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

I leave all my stuff at Church, so there's no transport probs,switched to a Roc-n-Soc drum throne and am very pleased with it, the back is adjustable, also hight. I keep my picks,and stuff in a small case. The only time I take my steel out is to change strings/maintenance.

Joe, I'm not knocking your product, or anyone else that makes seats, I just tried the throne, and like it better. If I was on the road, or setup/teardown on a regular basis, it would have to be a seat.

JMHO..Bill
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Michael Hummel

Post by Michael Hummel »

I'm playing steel, piano, organ, and 6-string in my current band (sometimes all in the same song!) so I need the swivel ability of a drum throne.

I really wish I could use a proper steel seat. Maybe if we hire a couple more band members to take over the other instruments...
Joe Naylor

Swivel

Post by Joe Naylor »

Swivel available:

With or without Power Strip and much more.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I carry a bag of "possibles" anyway, so I could put my cords, vp and stuff in there, but you gotta dig for things like strings, wrenches etc.

I've seen some drum thrones like the Roc 'n Soc that I can play on just fine. The main thing with a psg seat for me is to have everything readily available, preset for the correct height....and also to even out the weight of my rack or amp in the other hand.

Swivel wouldn't help me much unless it also rolls back at the same time. Still too close to the steel for guitar, slide etc. for me. Also orientation to the rest of the band is a consideration.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Holy Cow, Joe Naylor, that power strip is genius. That looks very nice.
Joe Naylor

Thanks for the note

Post by Joe Naylor »

Thanks that power strip has a surge pertector as well as the on/off switch and is custom made for me and is US (NEMA) + CE approved.

I have adjustable height, adjustable Back Rest angle, and many other options.

Please see the New Productions Section since I just announced an effects unit on legs for steel players. Photos on there too.

thanks for the note

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

The cool thing that I see about Joe's Swivel feature is if you want/need the power outlet on the front,back, or either side, just put it where it's the most convenient and swing the seat around...Cool Joe.

BF
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Norbert Dengler

joe nailor

Post by Norbert Dengler »

makes a great seat for a very acceptable price!
stealseat com.
i`m very happy with mine! :)