New Player Intro and Questions

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

M J Scott

New Player Intro and Questions

Post by M J Scott »

I have been lurking around on here for a little while and thought I would post an introduction. I found it odd there wasn't already and "intro" thread (at least I didn't come up with one in a search). I am an old broken down guitar and mandolin player with some joint issues in my left - fretting and and am transitioning into slide playing. I have a Redline resonator on order and recently bought an inexpensive Rondo SX lap steel. I now am finding a new challenge as the alternating bass and using the index and middle fingers to pick the top three strings (generally) doesn't translate perfectly. I am also amazed by the number of different tunings for various genres of music too.

My question is-I am planning to get a headphone amp for starters for the lap steel. Are they worth it and if so what is the recommended one for let's say less than $100? I have purchased a book for the dobro, and am going to a bluegrass camp (they are allowing me to bring both the mando and the dobro to the camp which is unusual, but other than Brad's Page of Steel, what are some other good learning resources either on line or not, for the lap steel?

Thanks, Mike
Thomas Temple

Welcome

Post by Thomas Temple »

MJ,

First off welcome to the forum. And you are in the right place for an intro as this Steel w/o pedals section covers the gambit of dobro, as well as lap steels and I'm sure you will find a wealth of info here just as I have. As for on line or off learning aids I would suggest that you use the most common tuning C6th for your lap as that has the most resources. A good "free" one is http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/LapTab.html all sorts of scales, runs, as well as a few songs with tab and audio as well. Once you get more comfortable with the lap I would highly recommend Doug Beaumier's 25 songs for C6th Lap Steel (vol 1 & 2). A great collection of several styles written both in note form as well as tab. Good luck and once again welcome.

Tom
Wayne D. Clark

Post by Wayne D. Clark »

Welcome M.J. Ditto what Tom said.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

headphone amp - I've heard people speak favorably of this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... dphone-amp

Can plug your mp3 player into and jam along. Vox has different models that have different types of gain/distortion styles.
M J Scott

Post by M J Scott »

Thanks for the responses. I was lost until I listened to the audio of the tab-then it made perfect sense. The Vox is on order! I appreciate the help. I am loving tone of these things!

Mike