Show us your MSA please.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Love those single-12s, Dave in Florida, Jim E., and Gary!

And thanks for the N 112 knob protector Jim! Received it last week.

Chris
Bobby D. Jones

Show us your MSA please

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I bought this guitar in 1999 used it is a white wood grain formica. It is a like 1 1/2 body S10, it has 4 and 4 set up. I added the pad, cut the bar hole and added a metal clip that holds the tuner case. The pad is attached with 3 strips of Industrial Velcro so non holes was put in the body.
Bob Haglock

My MSA's, I'm the original owner of the 1974 S-10.

Post by Bob Haglock »

Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

TTT
Alfred Ewell

Post by Alfred Ewell »

This S20 was designed by Julian Tharpe. It is an engineering marvel - and plays very loudly without amplification. Eleven pedals and four knee levers. Very fun and much at your disposal at any given instant!
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

I don't have pix of my '75 White Tidewood D-12 9 & 5. I sold it in '91 to a player in SoCal and wish I still had it. C6 on the front and #9 in back. I miss it.
Jeff Keyton

Post by Jeff Keyton »

delete
Last edited by Jeff Keyton on 2 Aug 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Here's my Uni.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

1974 D-10 Classic 8x5

Dallas Cheked

Post by Dallas Cheked »

Gary Skelton wrote:I just want to share a couple of really good looking and sounding MSA guitars.
www.garyskelton.com
I had a Vintage XL in emerald green. I kind of wish I still had it, but my bad back would protest with a vengeance! One of the best sounding MSA's ever built in the 70's.
EMCI D-10 Steel 8+6, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Twin Reverb, Stelling Staghorn Banjo,Vintage Premier Banjo, Dobro D-60 and F60S Squarenecks, Fender Stratocaster, Boss RV-5, DD2,GE7, Goodrich SteelDriver II.
Mark Fasbender

Post by Mark Fasbender »

Last edited by Mark Fasbender on 13 Aug 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

Although I haven't played MSA for a long time, I started out my first ten years on steel faithfully playing MSA guitars and really loved them. I've had three MSA guitars and, when working with Jim Boen, built a guitar that was (for all practical purposes) a clone of an MSA from the mid 1970s.

I couldn't resist joining in and adding photos of them.

My first guitar was a little MSA Red Baron (a 1975 model). Bought it in March 1976 when I started playing steel ...

In August of 1976 I bought my first double neck, a 1976 MSA Classic with 8 & 4 ...

My next MSA was a 1977 MSA Classic XL that was 10 strings on E9th and 12 on C6th ... it had 10 floor pedals and 7 knee levers (I soon added 3 more knee levers to make it 10 & 10, but eventually returned it to 10 & 7). This was the guitar brand new ...

When I went to work for Jim Boen, just as he was about to sell the name "Pedalmaster", one of the first things I did was to convert my MSA Classic XL to metal necks ...

Shortly afterward, I built my first steel with Jim Boen and, despite the metal necks and triple raise, triple lower mechanism (and the new name which is another story for another time), the guitar was basically in every other respect a mid-70s type MSA Classic for all practical purposes:

Although I haven't played MSA in years, I always look back on my guitars with fond memories and wish I still had them. :)
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Dallas Cheked

Post by Dallas Cheked »

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Bill Ford wrote:Hey Mike, Is this the one?

Yup. That's the one. What's its story? When was it made? Was it before Bud Carter came on board?
The undercarriage on these reminds me of a ZB. How was the pedal action on these first-gen MSA's?
EMCI D-10 Steel 8+6, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Twin Reverb, Stelling Staghorn Banjo,Vintage Premier Banjo, Dobro D-60 and F60S Squarenecks, Fender Stratocaster, Boss RV-5, DD2,GE7, Goodrich SteelDriver II.
Dallas Cheked

Post by Dallas Cheked »

Chris Johnson wrote:My beautiful 80's walnut SD-12 "The Universal". The guitar that all others are compared to in my book. The deepest biggest tone of any guitar I've played. This one fills the room up. It would be awesome if we could post the serial #'s of these great guitars also. I'll start "1C-6965"

If I would carry around a double neck body with one neck strung, it would be one of these.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Dallas Cheked,
It's been so long that I've forgotten. Must have been OK, I played it for a long time, made a lot of $$$$, kept it for about 30 years, sold it for what I give for it. Sorta wish I still had it.

Bill
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Lonnie Bennett

Post by Lonnie Bennett »

Have had this a while. It keeps me working and out of trouble.

Big Ben
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

This is mine!
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

That's right purty, Niels.
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Thanks, It is probably going to drive me nuts, but I am enjoying the trip. It actually has been touched up since that picture, it is awesome under stage lights. Highly recommend color and finish.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

If I refinish mine, which lacks the striping, will go to that color on the body, but probably a glossy black neck.
Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson »

Thanks for the complement Dallas. She sounds beter than she looks. Heavier too :lol:
Chuck Martin

Post by Chuck Martin »

Here's my 1981 Vintage XL.
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Purdy Chuck,
I usually don't like green but this one is superb,
Eric Sutton

Post by Eric Sutton »

Early 74.? Classic D12. SN 2C2518. Needs a good cleaning and lube job.
Tony Tims

Classic SS D-10 8+8

Post by Tony Tims »

This Classic SS, serial number 2C7096, left the factory in late '82 or early '83. It was one of the last three SS double 10 guitars ever made. It has two Lawrence 710 pickups installed.

Thanks to Darvin Willhoite for maintaining such a beautiful guitar. It is in near mint condition for being 30 years old.

Thanks to David Wright for setting it up for me and Reece for making such great guitars.

I've got a lot of learning to do with all those levers and pedals!
'83 MSA Classic SS D-10 8+8, Peavey Session 400 & NV 112, BJS Bars, Pod XT, Steel Seat by Joe Naylor, Goodrich L120.