Something Tut Said

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Russell

Post by John Russell »

Hey guys, Herb tore it up last night at Jovitas and he was playing brand "F" steel guitar. Also, I had the cheese mole enchilada by which all others are judged.

Once we resolve this controversy maybe we can take on issues like peace in the Middle East, world hunger and the Barton Creek salamander.

Or how's this: have an open debate at Scottys convention with delegates from guitars "E," "Z," "F," and anybody else who wants to join in. Maybe we could get Bill O'Reilly to moderate.

--JR
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Jody: The thought occured to me that if Herb had been on the staff of Fretts, there's just no telling what could have happened. It might be a rival to Time/Warner or maybe even Fender would have bought CBS instead of the other way around.

I'll repeat myself: This is some fine writing by everyone and I am certainly enjoying it.

Regards, Paul Image Image Image
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Paul
Herb would have had a "late night" show all to himself..is Herb any relation to Herb Shriner? Nah,,,,,probably a look alike,.yeah
I can imagine Herb with CBS,,he's the type,,
My posts are shorter than his,,Im doing a new
image,,,ya like it?? Image BTW....who's tut?? do I know this guy?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 09 August 2002 at 06:50 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

JODY; When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought, Oh no !! They had pedal steel guitars back in the pyramids of Egypt !! Neva Hoppen, GI !! Go to b0b.com in the links at the top of the opening page and look us Earnest Bovine's 12 string tuning under Tunings. There's a picture of EB in there in Walk Like An Egyptian attire and he's has tone 2 D bone with a Sho-Bud guitar tuned to all E's and B's. I have never seen this arrangement on any of the other name brands of guitars but cannot deny there may have been others like it.

Regards, Paul Image Image Image
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Matt said, "I can't count the times I was sitting on the can reading my Musicians Friend catalog.."

And I thought I was the only one that did that! Image

Alright. Let's have a show of hands. Who keeps their Musicians Friend and American Music Supply catalogs in the bathroom?

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Lee Baucum on 10 August 2002 at 05:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

HERB STEINER FOR PRESIDENT! Image
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

I second that Emotion !! Image Image Image Image
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

This must be one of the longest threads here in recent history!-Jody C-Tut Taylor is one of the senior masters among Dobro players and he also is one of the partners and builders of Rich&Taylor Instruments which I now believe is called "Crafter's of Tennessee" they make all kinds of acoustic instruments including Dobros-Tut is also a long time collector of vintage Dobros and among his collection was the ultimate "Holy Grail" of all vintage Dobros-The California made Model 206 Image
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Well,here's MY 0.2¢.

THERE AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS "GOOD KETCHUP"!!
(OR "CATSUP") IT'S <u>ALL</u> LOUSY!!
I <u>HATE</u> KET-SLOP!! (so there,whaddya think 'bout that??)

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
www.ntsga.com </pre></font>

Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

What do you know about good food,? all you ever do is throw those frozen pieces of shingle you call Pizza'a in the Micro Wave & pray..
Wanna good pizza,,,,come here,,I'll put ya up for as long

as you like,,and feed you & maybe show you a few chord changes,,,no charge,,I have respect for my elders. You are welcome anytime,,you'r feelin lonely anytime your'e feelin blue,,c'mon up, wise guy. Its true that all the great players dont come from Nashville,,,many come from new England. Image

Knock em out in St.Louis my friend,,,you got the "right stuff" dont forget your shorts.

I like Ketchup...you got a problem with that?

Paul,,,,thanks for the info on tut,,I have been out of it for a while.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 10 August 2002 at 07:22 AM.]</p></FONT>
Matt Steindl

Post by Matt Steindl »

Yes, the Musicians Freind catalog is the ultimate read when in a time of need! Im sure we arent the only ones who keep em in the bathroom!

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

And if the roll runs out, there's always Musician's Friend to be put to good use.
Gil Berry

Post by Gil Berry »

Trouble with any thread "mine is better than yours" is that it's all subjective. Sure, we all know the P/P sound and it puts us into orbit - but - ANY really good player can do the same for me no matter what he's pickin'. I think the only comparison we can make in psg's is how well they are made! Yea, I know I'm a hardware nut, still elimination of friction points, and noisy mechanics by spending extra $ in the manufacturing of the guitars is what trips my trigger. I'll never sound like BE no matter which steel I play, but I KNOW I sound better (at least I think I do!) when I'm playing on a well-made, smooth action, stays-in-tune, nice-to-look-at, quiet mechanics psg. I've owned some that did most of the above, never owned one that does it all. That's why I keep looking for oilite bushings, bearings, clean threading, good fit and finish, etc. I'll let the tone be whatever it is as long as I can get full spectrum sound, good sustain, and NO DEAD SPOTS!!
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I wouldn't touch this subject with a 30' pole, so; don't even consider asking! Your in the interest of the steel guitar; "Big John"
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Yes Chas, That is a great catalog, you are killin' me , that was funny!!
Bobbe
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Am laughing my Butt off, and i dont have much. The best guitar??? that`s easy one ,,,MINE IS THE BEST it`s a Benoit, hand crafted in Mauriceville Texas, You dont believe me , Aak Andy, Howard Larry

just kidding R .L. Jones
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Am laughing my Butt off, and i dont have much. The best guitar??? that`s easy one ,,,MINE IS THE BEST it`s a Benoit, hand crafted in Mauriceville Texas, You dont believe me , Aak Andy, Howard Larry

just kidding R .L. Jones
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

RL
Andy Volk?? Howard WHO???? Image
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Ask Curly, Larry and Moe!
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Please !! I can't stand any Moe !! Image Image Image
Kenny Foy

Post by Kenny Foy »

Genrtlemen, I have just listened to MR REGGIE DUNCAN'S video clip for the ump teen dozenth time and even tho I'm learnin to play on a SHO-BUD, that is the sound and tone I want to be able to play. I did see it was an Emmons, but I don't care if he was playin a singer sewin machine thru a 1948 transistor radio, it is one of the greatest sounds I have ever heard. It sent chills thru me. And I know there is hundreds of you out there that can produce the same sound. Y even Mr.Seymore made some of the greatest I've ever heard at the PALACE a couple of months ago. Bobbe I think you were playin that Sunburst SHO-BUD that nite. So to me it seems that the majority of the tone, sound and sustain is the player. So that is my 2 sense worth and I'm stickin to it.TA DA KENNY RAY
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

I was just wondering how things are going with Dale Watson. Someone email me and let me know.
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

See this page in Events and Announcements: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum4/HTML/003034.html