Yamaha THR10 for lap steel!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

George, is that the Sarno Black Box?
Good to hear of yet another happy user, and your pedal set up has me looking forward to trying such things.
Where on Maui did you buy your's?
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Hey George....just curious, but how is the THR10 at taking pedals?
b0b

Post by b0b »

Ron Whitfield wrote:Digital distortion has it's place...
Yes, in the trash bin next to the b@njos. >:-)
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Anyone else experiencing the battery shut off issue that I am?

Try this ... On battery power. Crank up the gain, master volume and the guitar volume. Play your steel loud, attack the strings aggressively.

Does your THR 10 shut down, turn off completely? Mine does. This is my second THR 10 and both exhibited this issue.

This will not happen on AC power.
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

A UkeTone Recording Artist

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Hawaiian Steel Guitar/Ukulele Website
George McCann

Post by George McCann »

Hey Ron,
Sorry have to put the THR10 to sleep before I can answer any questions....
I got it at the Island General store better know as Amazon.com. As you know it is hard to find anything locally and if you do find quality musical stuff you have to leave your first born son as a down payment or take out a loan to afford anything. The amazon dealer wouldn't ship to the Islands so sent it to my sister in the bay area and she shipped it over on Monday afternoon.

Steven,
Yes, the Sarno black box. It is the only stomp box I use on pedal steel so haven't tried any other pedals with my PS. But the Keeley compressor and the Blackstone overdrive worked great with acoustic and electric (T-5 & 335 style)guitars. I'll try out a couple of lap steels later today with pedals.
As I've aged I've wondered why my mental powers haven't expanded like my waist line.
Rain SD-10, Fessy U-12,Harlow Dobro, Eastman 912 mandolin, Zhu Fiddle, guitars, gizmos and buu-kuu Amps
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

b0b wrote:Yes, in the trash bin next to the b@njos. >:-)
That's one of my favorite shopping meccas, Distorted Banjos Are Us!

Yes, Gerald, that seems common. google for some comments and maybe recommendations.

George, I was surprised that Oahu actually has had them, and found at $300 no less, shocking.
At least you got yours, and find it worthy.
George McCann

Post by George McCann »

Ron,
Which outlet on Oahu had them?
Having a problem with the software. They are asking for a licensing number and can't seem to locate it.
where do you find this item?
thanks,
As I've aged I've wondered why my mental powers haven't expanded like my waist line.
Rain SD-10, Fessy U-12,Harlow Dobro, Eastman 912 mandolin, Zhu Fiddle, guitars, gizmos and buu-kuu Amps
George McCann

Post by George McCann »

They are asking for a Soft-eLicenser number.
Where is that located?
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Easy Music in Pearl City, but if you can't get your info from them or someone here I'll ask around about the # and see what I get. I wouldn't know where to look on mine or the paperwork. BTW, is your computer 64bit? That's what is needed for the software to work, supposedly.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I forget how that eLicense thing worked. I think it was all for the Cubase software, which you don't really need anyway. I had to jump through a bunch of hoops before I realized it.

Sorry I'm not more help. Getting the software to work on my Mac was a strange puzzle. I needed to download a driver program, I think, and the THR Editor program. Cubase AI6 is the main program on the DVD but it's a waste of time as you don't really need it at all.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
George McCann

Post by George McCann »

thanks bOb, so far can't load the THR editor up on my home computers or my work version 7 64 bit computer.
We'll figure something out.
Steve Ahola

Post by Steve Ahola »

I see that MF is selling the THR5 for $100 less than the THR10. Strange enough they both have the same speakers and output power- the difference is in the features and the controls as well as the size. The THR5 has only a single tone control (instead of 3 with the THR10) and there is no user memory to store your settings. A single output level control rather than one for your guitar and one for the USB/Aux input. So I think that the THR10 is worth the extra money.

Steve Ahola