NEW!! 25 MORE Songs for Lap Steel Guitar, C6 - Book & CD

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Barlo

Post by Andy Barlo »

Doug,
Got your CD's and booklet today and I started practicing right away. On CD#1 I have been having trouble with the CD skipping and going silent in spots from No.18 on down. When I played it on another CD player I could not get the last four songs to load. Just wondering if anyone else had the same toruble. CD#2 plays fine. Also, on Apache, could you tell me how you play the fast runs starting at measure 24? Could you illustrate that measure and show the fingering. It just feels awkard when I try to plaay it. Thanks
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Andy, I'll send you another CD #1. I've had one other problem with a CD skipping, so I made some changes and hopefully corrected the problem. If anyone has a bad CD send me an email and I'll send you a new CD.

As far as Apache, the best way to play that song is with a flatpick. That's really the only way to play that fast picking part. If it's a problem, just omit that part, and play the melody there instead. Thanks.
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 20 May 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Barlo

Post by Andy Barlo »

Thanks, Doug. I had a feeling that you may have used a flatpick because everything I tried didn't work.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks to all who have purchased the new book/CD!
James Nottage

Thanks, Doug!

Post by James Nottage »

My copy arrived very quickly and I thank you for your effort. Your materials are terrific and this is a great addition.

James
Clinesmith S-8; Pettingill P6; Rick-Style Vintage 47 Amp
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks James, I'm glad you like it!
Walter Seaman

Post by Walter Seaman »

Just ordered my copy of the new book. I got the old one a few weeks ago and have learned a TON from it.

It is super useful to have the tracks with Doug playing to listen carefully too. It has been helping me (I hope) avoid playing a bit too sharp on some notes and chords, which I noticed I had been doing.

I think the 'fret marks' on my 1959 Supro lap neck don't seem to be positioned where the optimal chord/note frequencies should be, but I've been trying to rely on those marks for bar placements. Hearing Doug's playing has helped me take some of the fret marks with 'a grain of salt' as they say.

Thanks Doug!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Walter, thank you for purchasing my new book/CD, I shipped it today. I'm glad you like the first one. When I wrote these books I was thinking of them as song books, not 'method books' that teach 'how to play'. But many players have told me that they've learned a lot about chord positions, two note harmonies (3rds and 6ths), slants, and more... by playing the arrangements in the book. And you say they've helped you with intonation... and that's great! I'm happy to hear it. Thanks again! 8)
Eddie Jaudouin

Post by Eddie Jaudouin »

Hi Doug,

Got your second book/cd. Thank you very much for your great job !

Cheers,

Eddie "PYS" :D
Walter Seaman

Post by Walter Seaman »

Doug your books are just fantastic! I have learned so much from them and so much on proper bar placement from the cds. I also tried out the C6 string gauges and types you use and found those to be a big improvement over the GHS C6's I used to use. The GHS strings had a 26 plain for the G and it always sounded rather dull or at least not bright to my ears. The 24 wound is much brighter and better-sounding and I like the feel of the other lighter string sizes you posted.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a pedal steel at some point and if I do your books on that will the be first ones I'd get!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Walter, I'm glad you like my lap steel books. It's great to hear that they're helping you to learn. Keep pickin' and enjoy your steel guitar!
Thomas Temple

Putting a smile on my face

Post by Thomas Temple »

Doug,

Just once more wanted you to know how much I appreciate your efforts with these books. As a new player learning from scratch I can't help but get a great big grin on my face everytime I learn another song from your book. The latest was Blue Eyes Cryin in the Rain. One of my favorite songs and was tickled to see it in the 2nd book as well as San Antoinio Rose which is next on my to learn list.

Tom Temple
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Tom, I'm glad you're enjoying the new book! 8)