Cobra Coil strings.... opinions?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Boyd

Cobra Coil strings.... opinions?

Post by Chris Boyd »

This question may have been asked before...(?) What is your opinion of cobra coil strings?? Thanks guys...
Ray McCarthy

Post by Ray McCarthy »

I've been using them for a few years now and I can't find any reason to switch. To me, they sound better than anything I've tried, they stay in tune and never seem to need changing. I do change them from time to time but I always feel like I've just thrown away perfectly good strings.
Also, I like dealing with Bobbe's store.
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Thank you Ray...
Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

Cobra Coils are top shelf strings. I like them a little better than Jaqwires personally. For me they last longer and have great tone. They are brighter than nickle strings and closer to stainless steel in tone to my ear. I was planning to get another set just to compare them to Live Steel strings which I have on my guitar now and I can tell you they are very very good indeed. Quite possibly my new favorite.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

I have been using Cobra Coils for a few years and have never Yet broken one,Like Ray says I feel that I am changing them too soon,great tone.
Billy
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

I just ordered a couple sets of live steel E9's too, and a couple cobra coils to compare...thought it was time to check out something new... thank you all for your kind responses...
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i found Cobra Coils to be excellent strings Chris
Roger Evilsizor

Cobra Coil string

Post by Roger Evilsizor »

I've been using Cobra Coil strings for over 4 years now and have YET to ever break a string. Great tone and sustain, and they last FOREVER. Best strings I've ever used. I highly recommend !!!
Zumsteel SD-10, Session 500, Session 400, Nashville 112, Profex II, Pod HD, Hilton pedal, Hilton Digital Sustain
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I have a set that I'll sell for $10 shipped.
Brad Johnson

cobra coil strings

Post by Brad Johnson »

I've been using cobra coil strings from steel guitar nashville for a couple of years now on my Derby. They have great sustain and stay in tune very well. I have not had a breakage problem with them at all. :D
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i've got cobras on mine right now and they seem to keep my bar off the fretboard as well as any!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Chris, you crack me up!
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I like them. To my ears, the wound strings are a bit brighter sounding than nickel, but not as bright sounding as stainless.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

I've been using them for a few years now, and I definitely like the tone and sustain. But most of all, I like how long they last! Very durable.
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Thank you all!
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I was given a set of Cobras about five or six years ago and put them on my Emmons Legrand I had at the time. The set that I got felt like I had spaghetti for strings. Felt very loose and sloppy. I took them off that night. May have been just me or my guitar, don't know. I haven't tried them since but seems like a lot of people like them.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

I think they're great strings. I used them for many years and they keep their brightness a long time, don't break, and have a nice tonal balance between thin and thick strings.
Best regards,
Mike
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

There is none better!!
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

+1 here... I tried them on a guitar I used to have that tended to break strings.. just changing to CC's really helped that a lot so I kept using them... I think they sound great...

Did I hear a huge difference between them and Jagwires... not really truthfully but the CC's last, sound fine, and rarely break.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

i have been using them for about 10 years ...I change the E neck about every 24 hours of playing time.. I haven't broken a string at a gig in years.
I like the sound of new strings and /Cobras sound good.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I tried a few sets on my Emmons and my Dekley, neither of which break strings very often. On both guitars one or two Cobra Coils broke within one or two gigs.

To me they seem a little more brittle than other strings, which is probably why they sound brighter, but could also explain why they broke easier.

With so many other people liking them, I hope mine was a one-time problem with a bad batch.
Jim Smith
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-