Let's talk about a 12 string tuning

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

AJ Azure

Let's talk about a 12 string tuning

Post by AJ Azure »

F#,B,E,G,A,D,E,G,B,D,E,C#(between the high B and D so sort of like an out of sequence E9 tuning on pedal steel)

That F# is below the low E on regular guitar so yeah looow range instrument. This will be for progressive rock / metal.

OK! Hate it, love it, puzzled by it? Fail to see my reasons?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Am I correct in assuming the strings go from low to high?
1. C#
2. E
3. D
4. B
5. G
6. E
7. D
8. A
9. G
10. E
11. B
12. F#

Not a good strumming tuning :) but looks like a lot of chordal possibilities there.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Yep low to high. That all depends on what and what for you're strumming :) I've got power chords there as well as other inner parts. With that range strumming the whole 12 strings is a big sound that I wouldn't use as often as a 6 string tuning.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I have an MSA D-12 on order. One neck will be setup to bOb Lee's 8 string E6 tuning with 2 strings higher and 2 strings lower and the other neck will be a 12 string C6.

I'll have 24 strings and loaded for bear.... :)

Lenny
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

This tuning is going to go on a custom designed wearable lap steel so double necks nuh uh! It will also not be like every other wearable lap steel that forces you to treat it like a tray the cigarette girls used to wear lol little sneak peak. It's being designed by someone who used to make custom wheelchairs and disability aids. Revolutionary and groundbreaking are understatements and it's even going be done affordable. I am temporarily putting it on hold while I deal with the expense of addressing some new mobility issues but pics and info when I have them :)
Robbie Daniels

Post by Robbie Daniels »

I have a custom made S12 that I love to play. I have a C6 configuration tuning as follows, listed top to bottom.
1. D
2. B
3. G
4. E
5. C
6. A
7. G
8. E
9. C
10.A
11.F
12.C

Pretty basic, but I like the results it gets.
Carter D12, MSA S12, 12 String Custom Made Non-Pedal, Evans FET 500LV, Evans SE200, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Steel King
Steve Benson

Hey AJ!

Post by Steve Benson »

Hey man I gave you a call. Slants must take some doing! Give me a shout back.
Steve
Carter-Magnum S10. Georgeboards S-8 Stealth. Chandler Lap. Peavey Powerslide. Bunch of mandolins. Sitar. Oud. All that and a bag of chips.
Robbie Daniels

Post by Robbie Daniels »

I use a 24" scale and don't have too many slants that I use. Most slants are half slants that require only 2 frets in the slant configuration. More single string whereas with my pedal steel I use more chords. I realy never gave it much thought until you asked. hanks for asking.
Carter D12, MSA S12, 12 String Custom Made Non-Pedal, Evans FET 500LV, Evans SE200, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Steel King
Steve Ahola

Re: Let's talk about a 12 string tuning

Post by Steve Ahola »

AJ Azure wrote:That F# is below the low E on regular guitar so yeah looow range instrument. This will be for progressive rock/metal.
I've had trouble getting a good sound from very low notes on my lap steels. I could not imagine tuning them as low as that F#. Bass guitars have a longer neck than regular guitars so perhaps lap steels need a longer scale to handle very low notes. (Maybe the type of wood might have something to do with how low a note will sound right on a lap steel.)

Have you checked with MSA about the tuning you want to use? I think that they would have a good idea of how low you could go.

Steve Ahola

P.S. As for slants if I can get two strings to harmonize I'm happy. (My 3 string slants usually sound pretty sick.) I think that you can usually find two notes that capture the flavor of a particular chord. I guess I use slants mainly to harmonize single note lines on two strings. Like playing 6ths and using slants to get the harmony right.
Robbie Daniels

Post by Robbie Daniels »

Steve, I totally agree with your theory on slants, specifically on neck scales longer than 22.5"
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

we're going with a 26 inch scale (similar to my Ibanez saber with Ibanez brand flloyd rose converted to steel) and the guy who'll be doing it regularly works with touch style instruments so he's got a lot more experience going that low than any steel company would since it's an uncommon tuning. He said F# at 25.5 or 26 inches is as low as we could go with out going longer scale but, it's fine. NI floppiness. Slants are no problem on my Ibanez. I never slant at the first fret and everywhere else I've never had an issue.
I tend to use low tuning guitar strings rather than steel ones for my electric. Currently using Ernie Ball strings, the same set the low tuned shredders use, Works well.
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Robbie, doesn't Mr. Anderson use a low D on his 12th string? What made you decide to go with the C?
Amor vincit omnia
Robbie Daniels

Post by Robbie Daniels »

I am more familiar with just using the C instead of D. I tried the D, but the C gives me more minors and major seventh's that fit my style of playing. Maybe I need a 13th string. :lol: