Stringmaster cases

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jon A. Ross

Stringmaster cases

Post by Jon A. Ross »

In shopping for a case for my unhoused T-8 it seems there are two different size cases? The fifties tweed version has the legs stored in the lid, making the width dimension less than the sixties (brown and black tolex) version, which has the legs stored in the bottom half of the case, behind the guitar. Can anyone confirm this observation. I reckon the case with leg storage in the lid might have a little more to the depth dimension, though. With either one having the surface area of an aircraft-carrier flight-deck, a coupla inches smaller width would be an appreciable advantage; maybe? Or maybe it's "six-dozen of one, half of the other"?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You have two chances of finding an original case for your Stringmaster: slim and none!
Your best bet would be to have Kevin Hatton build you one of his tweed covered cases.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Erv Niehaus wrote:... Your best bet would be to have Kevin Hatton build you one of his tweed covered cases.
Agreed, Kevin builds a first class case and is a pleasure to deal with too. http://hattoncases.net/
Jon A. Ross

Post by Jon A. Ross »

Hmm, they do not look much like a Fender case, being deeper and having very sharp, square corners. Not many things uglier than the currently available "new" tweed covering (well, okay, gray indoor-outdoor carpet IS uglier!). I believe I will pass on these, but thanks y'all!
David Robey

Post by David Robey »

G&G will build you a new case with original style
covering and liner. They gave me a price of $250+ship
on a case for a '62 Deluxe 6 last January. However,
something came up and I didn't order it.

You will have to supply dimensions. For a T8 I'm thinking the price might reach the $400 mark.

http://www.ggqualitycase.com/products.html
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

The real deal case can be had if you watch eBay... several T8 cases have come and gone in the last 6 mos.

I wouldn't be too picky about era, leg holder, etc... if you find one at all under $250 you'll be lucky.

And I agree that a square-cornered case just won't cut it... I'd rather have a custom padded gig bag made up.

Remember that... when buying a Stringmaster, deduct $300 for no case.
Jon A. Ross

Post by Jon A. Ross »

Of course, no disrespect intended toward the above-mentioned case builder. I'm sure the quality and workmanship is top-notch; just not what I am after.

I am not too worried about finding an original-style case. When I target a particular desire, my dogged determination and resourcefulness usually gets me what I am after!
Tom Wolverton

...or, you could go with this...

Post by Tom Wolverton »

A nice light weight alternative would be a Danny Bentley case made from fiberboard (like a drum case). Pretty darn tough, too.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Jon A. Ross

Post by Jon A. Ross »

How 'bout this one for under 150 bucks? It'll need some latch repair, but nothing too major. My T-8 has a home now! I'm happy.

Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Yeah... I had mercy and didn't bid you up. Enjoy!
Jon A. Ross

Post by Jon A. Ross »

Yeah...thanks.
Jon A. Ross

Post by Jon A. Ross »

Good thing I did not need a set o' laigs; 263 bucks! GASP!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0830228782