Do most stage players use a Strobo Flip? How do you attach?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Benjamin Wolfram

Do most stage players use a Strobo Flip? How do you attach?

Post by Benjamin Wolfram »

Just wanting to get a tuner for my steel, one that will be easy enough to use while on stage so I don't have to be looking across at my guitar board. Do most people use a Strobo Flip and if so, how do you guys attach it to your instrument so it's easy to use and doesn't look too terrible?

Pics anyone?

Cheers :mrgreen:
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Mine shipped with a nice leg clamp!

h
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Billy McCombs

Post by Billy McCombs »

78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I don't clip mine on or leave it connected. I tune, set it back in the side compartment of my seat in case its needed. When we take a break, I usually check the tuning.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

If I am playing a guitar that doesnt stay in tune for long I usually keep my strobo connected all the time
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

What Jack said!!
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Mine just sits on the top of my sidekick rack, I'll usually check and tweak between sets or between every few takes in the studio. There it is on the left...

Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Ben, as already stated - the stroboflip comes with a leg clamp as part of the kit so just strap that on one of the legs and it's right there in full view all the time !
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jerry Van Hoose

Post by Jerry Van Hoose »

I usually have my Stroboflip attached about half of the way down the right rear leg, hardly noticeable except to me. The only reason I have the Stroboflip attached is because I have recurring & remitting MS and wouldn't want to drop & possibly damage it :whoa: . On a separate note.....Mark, beautiful Williams!
Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

Leg Clamp. Works perfectly.
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

Here is a tip, If connect your tunner with a planet wave switch button end cord ,you can take your guitar in an out of the tunner circuit easy. I also use one on my steel for no noise releases.
Scott Wooten

Strobo Flip

Post by Scott Wooten »

I talked with Nick at Steel Guitar Nashville on Friday...he told me that the Strobo Flip isn't being produced anymore. Peterson is apparently coming out with a new model? Not sure if this is accurate, but wanted to pass it along.
Dick Sexton

Strobo Atachment Idea...

Post by Dick Sexton »

I found this clamp on a GPS mount I had laying around. Works perfectly. Notice the rubber safety spring. Haha! Very quick to attach and take off. I'm old, but usually in a hurry.

Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

Scott, I think you are right about coming out with a new model. I just bought the last Peterson the Guitar Center had where I lived. They were discounting the units at $159.00 and retail was $199.00.

I was lucky to get the last one. It came with the leg mount, power supply, and a acoustic guitar pick-up to attach to the tuner. It had a instruction manual too.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Spoke to Sue at Dallas, a new model is being designed at moment, the main chip for the old one is no longer available from their suppliers.Believe new one will fit onto leg clamp, although it might look more more like the current floor model.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Bill Howard

Amazing

Post by Bill Howard »

I find it humorous that because one person buys a certain product everyone wants to own one.
I have used a Sabine ST 1500 tuner for almost 25 years,I had a Korg Chromatic the one everyone raved about in the 80's....in my opinion it is one of the WORST tuners I EVER saw. You had to tune one string to this another to that then chime this and lower that yak yak yak... My Sabine I light up green with it and my guitar is in PERFECT tune,and I have nearly perfect pitch,I can identify chords by hearing them.I have lit up green on many a tuner when installing strings jusy by ear.
Now Sabine makes a Pedal Steel tuner yet not one word ever been written about it,I guess its new price of about 50 dollars just doesnt excite buyers they would rather spend 2 or 3 hundred on a tuner because it a a .99 cent clamp for the leg:).
I used a "FLIP tuner" at a Jam when I had left mine at home and NO THANKS...My Guitar was out of tune something awful... OH I guess if Paul franklin or Buddy Emmons gets a sabine they will be in style...
lol...
Malcolm McMaster

No Bill, most of us use it because it works really well, otherwise I personally would not use it.Yes it does have a convenient leg clamp, but even if it didn't I would still use it.If you are happy with your current tuner that is great,everybody has different tastes and what suits one does not suit another, as long as each of us is happy with the product we use then we all be happy bunnies.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Terry Sneed

strobo flip

Post by Terry Sneed »

Malcolm, I don't reckon they said what the new tuner will cost did they? IMO - the Strobo flip is the best tuner for steel or 6 string that's ever been made, and I hate they are discontinuing it. I'd love to have the rack mount strob tuner from Peterson, but just over my head price wise.
I think I'm goin to try and find a used one so I'll have a spare. Do you know the website where some forum members are buying B stock Strobo flips? Thanks
terry
Malcolm McMaster

Terry, all Sue could tell me was that design would probably be along lines of the present floor model, but would be clamp mountable, she could give no details on when it would be available, or cost.Hopefully since it will be similar to floor model then price should not be all that different.She said they had considered just getting another supplier for main chip but this would have involved many other changes to unit, so they were taking the opportunity to just start from scratch and design a completely new and hopefully improved unit.As I previously said if it is as good and their fantastic customer service continues(if I had a company I would just love to have someone like Sue to be my sales/tech rep)then I think they are on a winner.Sorry Terry don't know web site for B stock, try contacting Sue at Peterson she may know.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I use a Sonic Research ST-200. True bypass. .02 cent accuracy. Programmable. True stroboscopic display. Made in U.S.A. I use a double male adapter into my guitar and into the tuner, out of the tuner to my pedal. So, it sets at guitar height and easily visable. www.turbo-tuner.com. Sells for about $140.00. Best tuner I ever owned.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.