Current Rondos

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Rossen

Current Rondos

Post by Jim Rossen »

Any thoughts about the currently configured Rondo lap steels for a beginner?
See below.
Thanks

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4230.html
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I own one of these as well as one of the first generation Rondo lap steels. They're still a great value.
Rondo dropped the bridge cover, which really just got in the way of changing the strings. They no longer come with a hard shell case (although the case is available separately).
There is NO finish on the model shown in the link - it's bare wood. The pickup is good, much better than the original Tele-style pickup they were using before. If you want to experiment, it's easy to replace with other humbucker-style pickups.
They're still using a Les Paul style bridge, probably because it's what's readily available to them. The tuners are flimsy but haven't given me any problems so far, and hold the tuning properly.
I think they're hard to beat for a starter lap steel. Probably the only other one I'd recommend under $200 is the Rogue Jersey Lightning.
Last edited by Brad Bechtel on 25 Apr 2012 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Jon A. Ross

Post by Jon A. Ross »

My highly biased opinion is get an old Supro, Harmony, Silvertone, et cetera. The guitar you show is dirt cheap, but looks it, too. If you are aesthetically inclined like me, you will appreciate the "vibe" (sorry, couldn't think of a better word!) of an older instrument. You should be able to find a cool, old lap guitar by doubling, or a bit more, the price on the SX. You will not lose a dime on the resale of a nice old instrument, and the sound of an old Supro or P-13 pickup cannot be duplicated by any new instrument. Admittedly, this is the opinion of a card-carrying "Old Guitar Snob".
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Joe, I agree that the vintage lap steels sound better and have more "mojo" than a new Rondo lap steel. Please find me as many Supros as you can for $110 each - I'll buy whatever you find. :)

Vintage lap steels have increased in perceived value far beyond the price you can get for one of these new lap steels. I'm glad someone is making inexpensive starter instruments still.
Brad’s Page of Steel
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

yeah...nothing says 'high quality' like old peeling mots wallpaper!!
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

The Rondo lap steel is an awesome value. If you decide to resell it you won't lose much if any money! You are a lot more limited by your playing ability than the model of lap steel you buy. I ran my un-modded Rondo through a Princeton Reverb and a Steel King with great tone. I paid $700 for a used 8 string Excel Jerry Byrd lap that is not any more usable in the studio or on the stage than the Rondo is.

Greg
Jim Mitchell

Post by Jim Mitchell »

I agree thr Rondo is a good starter

My first steel guitar was a Harlin Brothers Kord 4 pedal s string
Still play it not as good a Mr James

I did get a rondo with case for $99.00 back in the day

I built My first lap steel cost me $150.00 in materials
The wood was given to me free

My guess it is all in the pick up and the right amp to get great sounds
and the player
I don't think it is in the wood
My first born

I think there is a lap steel in this Cherry log some day
I am trying to play a Harlin Brothers 1956 Multi Kord 6 String 4 Pedal Steel Guitar
and a RONDO lap
Retired from Boeing Helicopters in Ridley Park Pa.
we build the CH47
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Jim Mitchell wrote:I think there is a lap steel in this Cherry log some day
Knot! :mrgreen:
I'm sure there's tone already waiting to come out of that aged piece. Lordy knows what someone like Tom Pettingill could carve out of it.
Jim Mitchell

Post by Jim Mitchell »

Ron Whitfield wrote:
Jim Mitchell wrote:I think I'm sure there's tone already waiting to come out of that aged piece. Lordy knows what someone like Tom Pettingill could carve out of it.
Does Tom live close to me

Say Wilmington Delaware

I will give him some wood

I am trying to play a Harlin Brothers 1956 Multi Kord 6 String 4 Pedal Steel Guitar
and a RONDO lap
we build the CH47
Jon A. Ross

Post by Jon A. Ross »

For alla you who like your Rondo steels, fine. For alla you who think a "vinnidge" lap steel costs a zillion bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0827064506

Harmony guitar nuts will pay more than this for just the pickup!

So sez the old-guitar snob.
Jim Mitchell

Post by Jim Mitchell »

Musician's Friend has a lap steel guitar with legs and a bag

$99.00
You can't build one for thst price

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-tra ... nd-gig-bag
and a RONDO lap
we build the CH47
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

The Rogue EA-3 is a very short scale instrument (20" vs. the more standard 22.5"). It just feels a lot cheaper than either its brother the Jersey Lightning and the Rondo. You get what you pay for.
Brad’s Page of Steel
Jim Mitchell

Post by Jim Mitchell »

I agree it is cheap

But if you are just trying it for the first time

Less than $200.00 should do it

I paid $500.00 for my 1950 Kord with 4 pedals
did not have a clue how to play it or set it up
I must thank Danny James for his help

I can play the Rondo now just ok
and I know what the pedals will do on the Kord

Now a Guitar you have to buy a good one or you will quit on the first lesson sore fingers frets to high

My brother in laws wife got him that one on TV
you know the guy dressed in black
1/4 fret distance I could have got him one better at the pawn shop and set the frets

I play a Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Feel like about 1/16 distance
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1407419690 ... s&var=sbar
and a RONDO lap
we build the CH47
Steve Perry

Post by Steve Perry »

I've got two of the Rondos and am pretty happy with the sound I get out of them. Both are bone stock and get that old Hillbilly Country tone that I want. For the price, I don't think you can beat them for a starter and to use later on as you get more experienced. Here's a video on the band I'm in with my Son that will give you an idea of the tone. It ain't a Stringmaster, but it ain't bad! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5zf7jHDoOE

Oh yeah....excuse the playing! :D
Joseph Meditz

New Ash Rondo

Post by Joseph Meditz »

I bought this to experiment on. However, when I opened the box I was pleasantly surprised to find a very nice guitar made of a good beefy chunk of Ash. The American flag says American Swamp Ash. And on a small transparent sticker above it it says Made in China.

This is far from being like other stuff from China where every corner that can be cut is cut. Here, even the gig bag is of good quality with SX embroidered in large letters. The only negative thing is that this guitar is unfinished, albeit very well sanded. It can be completely disassembled and sprayed which is what I intend to do. String spacing is 7/16" at the pickup. I've only played it for a few minutes. Sound is satisfying. In summary, this is an attractive, quality instrument at a very low price. Total cost was $128.29.

Joe

Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

Dina, for $109 I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I didn't already have two Rondo's with mohogany bodies that I bought a few years ago. I really love the looks of the ash and I bet the P90 pickup will sound nice.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

Rondo owners -- does the bridge have a radius, or have they filed the string slots to flatten it out?
Frank Welsh

Post by Frank Welsh »

Peter, the bridge itself is flat...no need for a radius.

I have the sunburst version and it is a very nice guitar.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

Thanks, Frank!
Russell Baker

Post by Russell Baker »

I must be the only guy on the universe that got a bad Rondo Lap Steel. I bought a Tele copy from Rondo and I was happy with it. The Lap Steel I got was incredibly noisy! and I have had many guitars with single coil pick ups. The only way I could reduce the noise was to turn the tone control all the to the bass side of it. I tried using different cords and different amps and it didn't change anything. I returned the Laps Steel and bought a Peavey Power Slide which I never plan on using with the strap!
R.E. Baker
There's lots more of me where I come from!
Darrell Birtcher

Post by Darrell Birtcher »

I recently bought the SX in "mahogany" with the strat stye pickup. Wish I'd known the Ash model with P90 was coming back. It has to be better. The pickup sounded dull and weak but an Alumatone P90 I found for cheap at a pawnshop fit in there nicely and sounds fantastic. The mahogany doesn't look like any mahogany I've seen before. It appears to be more like sapele maybe. Anyway, it's so soft that the bridge won't hold steady and it wouldn't stay in tune.
I drilled all the way through the body and cut a couple of long coupling nuts to fit the width of the body, rounded the hex edges a bit on the belt sander and bought new chrome bolts and washers to mount the bridge with, as well as secure the coupling nuts from the bottom.
It looks very good actually and I enjoy the upright tuners and ease of stringing with the open headstock.
Was it worth it? I don't know. I bought it just to have something cheap to experiment with different tunings and to leave laying around to practice on, so it serves it's purpose for me. I actually went back to the pawnshop and bought their last Alumatone, and the two pickups together gives a rather Stringmaster-ish tone.