Mickey, Can You Fix this? 2 Finished!!..WOW

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Steve....I charge about 350.00 for a full teardown, cleaning and reassembly..
Changers get sonic cleaned and soaked in Muriatic Acid..Everything is set back to factory spec!..D12s, 450.00...SD10 about 300.00...Just depends on how bad a shape the guitar is in...
2 Finished Awesome PRE RPs...this red one sounds GReAT with the PF2 and E66...and now she plays like a dream too!!!

Last edited by Mickey Adams on 22 Apr 2012 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
steve takacs

Thanks, Micky

Post by steve takacs »

Thanks Micky, that is a very reasonable price and I'm sure the work is superb. as evidenced by the Mullen above. stevet
Scott Wooten

Thanks Mick

Post by Scott Wooten »

Looks good Mickey.......can't wait to see it up close!! Thanks for the hard work..I know it was a bit of a challenge.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Paul Fosters old guitar.....uh I mean...NEW GUITAR!

Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Douglas Bone

Post by Douglas Bone »

Very Beautymous work Mickey!
D10 Sho-Bud,D10 Mullen Pre RP, Session 500, N12
Dan Moslander

Post by Dan Moslander »

Hey, Mickey........

Was any of that 'crud' on the red one alive??????
The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God" Psa. 14:1

don't have a gear list...I'm broke
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

I was out of petri dishes!....Im sure SOMETHING would have grown on it though!!
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Re: Mickey, Can You Fix this? 2 Finished!!..WOW

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

Mickey Adams wrote:Ahhh...Craigslist...home of great deals ... And this one is staying with ME!
You guys that know Gary Hogue's guitar that belongs to Jim Lindsey looks JUST like this one..And it turns out..It was built for Jim, and he must have sold it to buy Gary Hogue's when he passed away...NOW ITS MINE!!!...Original 705's in the back and 708's up front..Getting a TOTAL overhaul, tapped changers, re-polished....and sounds absolutely fabulous!!!...
You're absolutely right, Mickey. In 1995, when Gary called me up and asked if I still wanted his first Mullen, that 1986 model, I only had two steels at the time ... my 1990 Mullen and Gary's old first Emmons guitar, that 1976 push-pull that I bought from him in 1991. They're both pictured below ...

At that time, the original Mullen pickups were in it and I had Emmons fret boards on it. It was a hard choice which one to sell in order to get Gary's 1986 Mullen ... in the end, as much as it broke my heart to let it go, I chose to keep the old Emmons and sell my 1990 Mullen, so I took it to Steve Lamb out at White Settlement TX and sold it to him (for a real nice tidy sum as I recall!).

We went to Nashville (Ty's band) that same week and I bought Gary's 1986 Mullen.

Here's a photo of the 1990 Mullen and the 1986 Mullen for a comparison ...

The 1990 was originally supposed to be an exact twin of Gary's guitar (with the exception that Gary's guitar had 7 knee levers and mine had 9 knee levers). One other slight difference occurred, though.

There was some sort of trucker strike going on when Del was building my guitar and Del was out of the trim inlay that you see on Gary's guitar and he couldn't get anymore of that trim at the time, so the 1990 guitar ended up with a different inlay.

In a good way I envy you, Mickey. :) I can't count the number of times that I've kicked myself in the south end for letting that guitar go. It plays like a million dollars and was just superb in every aspect. I'm really glad that you love it and that it's in your keeping.

Mickey took me with him to a gig and played that guitar and I just melted all night at the sound of that guitar with those 705s in it ... and Mickey played it very well I might add! Here's a photo of Mickey at that guitar ...

I do believe he was enjoying it! You know, we have a name for that kind of grin in Texas ... :D

If you'd like to hear this guitar, at least with the original pickups that were in it, here's a few tracks ...

Just Look At Us ... recorded live on a little hand held recorder placed under my pack seat. We'd just learned the song and this was our band playing it for the first time on stage. The steel is a little out front on this due to the placement of the recorder.

http://soundcloud.com/excalibur-steel/look-at-us-2#

Here's a couple more from a straight board mix. We were doing a show in California and the sound man made me a tape of the show. All is mixed well on these ...

That's The Way Love Goes
http://soundcloud.com/excalibur-steel/t ... -love-goes

Don't Tell Mama (I Was Drinking)
http://soundcloud.com/excalibur-steel/dont-tell-mama

Happy picking on that guitar, Mickey! It's my hope that you love it and enjoy it as much as I did. :D
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)