Seeking Info on vintage Howard amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joey Ace

Seeking Info on vintage Howard amp

Post by Joey Ace »

I received this request, via email (posted with permission) :
Hi, I noticed you are a moderator on the pedal site and I am trying to find out some info on an amp I have.

It is a Howard tube amp, probably from the Texas days when Tom “Howard” Mccormick was building guitars and amps there. It doesn’t look like his Pheonix era amp that I have seen a picture of.

There is literally 0 info on his amp work out there and I noticed that a couple of posters actually worked for Tom in Texas.

Would it be out of line to have someone post the info on the forum for me? I just want to confirm the era of the amp and if anyone knows anything about it, re: power output.

It is probably something that your folks might like to see.

Since I am not a player I feel kind of strange signing up and paying just for a few questions, but I will if you think it would be helpful.

Thanks
Cary Whitlock

Mt Pleasant, Tx

I replied I would post the question, and received the following info, with pix.
Here is the Howard tube amp I have. I have gathered a decent amount of information on who Tom Howard Mccormick was, beginning in his Phoenix days connected with Duane Eddy and his double neck guitar and mention of his amps and then some good information on your site about his later Texas days in the Pedal Steel world. The amps are mentioned but rarely shown and I haven’t found any info on outputs, circuit types, sound or any other technical facts aside from the fact that his tube amps are few and far between.

What I know about this amp:

The tubes are 4 7189A’s a Raytheon 7199 and 4 12ax7’s. The amp has 2 output transformers wired in series with one set of speaker outputs. I would appreciate any info anyone has on this amp.

I would guess by the modern look that this would have been from his Grand Prairie Tx shop in the late 60’s or early 70’s? Anybody ever seen this one before? I found it in Sulphur Springs Tx if that helps.

Thanks

I'd be surprised if the crew here is stumped by the query.
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Joey,

Can you send a picture of amp you have?

I used to have some info on the Howard amps in my old files, and will look.

Thanx,
Jim
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

It's not my amp. Read the post. Pictures are above.
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

O.K. that is without a doubt the wackiest amp I have ever seen. Very cool but wacky.
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Ifound all of the Howard amp brochures I have, and nowhere is any power output listed. Tom was an inventor and specially built all of his products as needed (guitars and amps)so no two are going to be exactly alike. The amp shown above is a modified "LC Model" whihc was a very compact amp with a single 15" jensen speaker. The above amp is a 2-12 version, that was a special build. The LC Model was introduced in 1972.

I did play through a Howard amp with one of his pedal steels in my house many years ago, and it sounded great, but I doubt that it was more than about 40W RMS. I will try to take a pic of the flyer and post it later, if interested.

Thanx,
Jim
Dean Neeley

Howard Amp

Post by Dean Neeley »

In 1964 i stop by The Longhorn Ball Room in Dallas,Tx
an my friend Bobby Garrett was playing his old
Sho-Bud an he had a big Howard Amp an it sound great

Dean Neeley