Herby Wallace

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Brandon Patterson

Funeral info & guestbook for Herby

Post by Brandon Patterson »

Here is a link to the funeral home's website for Herby Wallace.

http://www.heritagefh.com/

You can sign the guestbook online if you can't make it to the service.

-Brandon
Thanks,
Brandon
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

i'm glad i got to see Herby play in Dallas this year - i guess it may have been his last performace and luckily, i recorded it. unfortunately, with so much going on at the show, i didnt get to talk to him and made a note to spend some time with him at next years show - he held such a wealth of steel knowledge.
Everytime i would see him, Bunny was at his side, so i send my prayers to her.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Landon Roberson

Post by Landon Roberson »

Very sad news. Praying for the family.
My Rig: GFI Ultra SD-10, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Roland 80XL amp.
David Farlow

Post by David Farlow »

So very sorry to hear about Herby. My thoughts and prayers for the family in this time of loss. God Bless.

David Farlow
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I have been the hospital when I read about the passing of Herby. What a great loss this is. Herby was such an humble and kind man. He as joined many other steel players who have gone on to that grand reunion in heaven.
Wayne D. Clark

Post by Wayne D. Clark »

I did not know of Herby Wallace, until yesterday when I receieved an email telling of his death.But this evening as I write this I have come to know him via the Tributes, and the Memories posted here. Thank you for enterducing me to Your Friend via your postings. Maybe a Post on YOUTUBE of his playing would be nice for those of us who have not had the pleasure of hearing Herby play!
Bud Isaacs

Post by Bud Isaacs »

Herby was a great musician and friend, so sorry to see him go. We will all miss him. Our thoughts and Prayers for his family. Bud and Geri
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Wayne D. Clark wrote:I did not know of Herby Wallace, until yesterday when I receieved an email telling of his death.But this evening as I write this I have come to know him via the Tributes, and the Memories posted here. Thank you for enterducing me to Your Friend via your postings. Maybe a Post on YOUTUBE of his playing would be nice for those of us who have not had the pleasure of hearing Herby play!
Wayne
There are a number of clips of Herbie previously posted on YouTube.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
steve takacs

Norway 1984 seminar Herby and Scotty

Post by steve takacs »

I was fortunate to have had the pleasure of attending a three day seminar put on by Scotty and Herby in Norway 1984. What fun that was and what a highlight of my pedal steel experience.

All the things said here about Herby were evident then. He was knowledgeable, kind, an accomplished musician, had a dry wit, but no Mount Everest ego. The two of them were a great pair. Learned and laughed the whole three days.

The photo was gotten off the Intenet, but I have not been able to give credit to the photographer or person who put it on his site. Herby was on the far right and I behind him in a black T-shirt and jeans. Behind me in the back, in a white shirt, was my good friend, Kjell Gudmestad, who helped me get started on pedal steel. There are quite a few others some of you guys might recognize.

Thanks, to those Scandinavians who organized this event and others like it for several years running. Steve t
Mike Headrick

Post by Mike Headrick »

Herby's funeral was a very appropriate and befitting celebration of life for one of the greatest who will ever live. Doug Jernigan was the right man for conducting the funeral. He did a marvelous job.

The last speaker really hit the ball out of the park when he said something like "It's ironic that two men with the name Wallace would pass out of this life so close to the same time. One was a great man of standing and accomplishments who was famous throughout the world, and his name was a household word. The other was the host of 60 Minutes."
Last edited by Mike Headrick on 11 Apr 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Mike, thanks for the report. Herby has been on my mind all day.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Ten days ago I had an unusual dream. I was at a church and heard a steel guitar being played and very well. I looked to see who was playing and it was a lady I had known for years who passed on two years ago. I remember thinking in the dream I did not remember her playing the steel. I looked to see what kind of guitar she was playing and it had the initials HWP on the right end of the guitar. Herby passed on a few days later. Just having that dream and Herby passing just makes me wonder about such dreams. Very unusual to say the least.
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Mike Headrick wrote:The last speaker really hit the ball out of the park when he said something like "It's ironic that two men with the name Wallace would pass out of this life so close to the same time. One was a great man of standing and accomplishments who was famous throughout the world, and his name was a household word. The other was the host of 60 Minutes."
See, now I take that as nothing but offensive to Mike Wallace and his grieving family and friends. There's no need to put him down in order to raise Herby up....uncalled for.
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

Another sad day...
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Post by Michael T. Hermsmeyer »

Ive just been numb for the past week wondering what to say!!! Herby was so good to me when I lived in Pigeon Forge! Working my first gigs at Dollywood back in 1992. One of those shows was called "The Monday Night Special" I played fiddle, acoustic guitar and banjo right next to Herby on steel!!! Talk about the best seat in the house!!! It was hard to focus on my own playing as I was just awestruck at the speed and clarity of his playing!!! Aside from that, he was one of the most helpful, friendly people I ever met!!! We even lived on the same street for a while! I was over at his shop at least once a week!!! I wouldnt know anything about C6 if it wasnt for him!!! He sold me my first doubleneck! My 92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande!!! He said he gigged with a few times before I took it home, so it's even more special now!!! He also played it on stage in St Louis during the night of the talent search in 94 (i think)when Rob Parker got sick and wanted to hear "Way To Survive"! I was due up but I let Herby play my guitar for Rob that night!!! Rob survived of course for many more years! What a treat it was for me to hear my guitar being played by Herby that night!!! I still got to play my set and had a wonderful night!
What else can I say!!! Herby was always there with a solution to anything I needed! We had a lot of meals together at different times! Got to know Bunnie, Herby III and the girls!!! It was funny cause when we were putting the vertical knee lever on my LeGrande, he wouldnt drill it cause he didnt want to mess it up! Made me do it cause it was "My" guitar now, LOL!!! We got her done, LOL!!!
I'm playing the upcoming steel show in Mt Vernon next weekend, and now I'm torn as to which guitar to play, lol!!! My 73 Hal Rugg Emmons, or my 92 Herby Wallace LeGrande!!! Either way, I will be playing Herby's version of Sleepwalk!!!
RIP my friend and mentor!!! Peace to your family and friends!!!
Currently retired from performing music in Branson, MO
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE, Bray Resonator Guitar,'95 DOBRO F60S, '85 Dobro 60DS, '95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1948 National Grand Console D-8, 1951 Supro Clipper S-6. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

www.onemancountryshow.com

www.facebook.com/utilityman2000
Larry Self

Post by Larry Self »

I agree with you Mike. I dont think Herby knew or would believe how many people loved him.I am blessed to have had him as a friend. I would like to ask everyone to remember the Wallace family in your prayers. it's gonna be tough for awhile. good bye dear friend. R.I.P. Herby Wallace. Larry Self
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Post by Michael T. Hermsmeyer »

Hahaha!!! I remember asking Herby and fellow Dollywood alumni Larry Stewart, after seeing one of my shows, what they thought of my playing... Herby replied, "Real Average!" LOL!!! Thanks for the great memories my friend!!!

Currently cleaning and restringing my LeGrande. Put the TrueTone pickup back in. I never was a big fan of the original 108s. Baby's gonna sing now!!! LOL!!!
Currently retired from performing music in Branson, MO
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE, Bray Resonator Guitar,'95 DOBRO F60S, '85 Dobro 60DS, '95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1948 National Grand Console D-8, 1951 Supro Clipper S-6. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

www.onemancountryshow.com

www.facebook.com/utilityman2000
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

It's really sad to see Herby leave us. I remember going to steel guitar conventions and being amazed at the way he played. He was a class act.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

Man what a shocker. I am so sorry to hear this sad news. He was my hero.
<i>My playing sounds more like it did before than it does now</i>
Spencer Scott

Post by Spencer Scott »

Having watch him play in Dallas this year it seams very unreal that he has left us. He was one of a kind.
Spence.
Last edited by Spencer Scott on 13 Apr 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer Scott

Post by Spencer Scott »

Having watch him play in Dallas this year it seams very unreal that he has left us. He was one of a kind.
Spence.
Bob Bartoli

Herby Wallace

Post by Bob Bartoli »

My deepest sympathy for the Wallace family, may Herby rest in peace...
Jim Saunders

Herby Wallace

Post by Jim Saunders »

I got to know Herby at the steel shows, both Dallas and St. Louis. He was always hard at work at his booth, but always willing to just visit. I am by no means a known steel player, just an average guy who loves to try to play it. Anyway, I loved the tune, "Old Cape Cod" and Herby wrote a great tab for it, which I learned to play. I asked Herby, at his booth if he would play it on his set. He didn't and later apologized. But, I saw him a year later in Dallas and he called me over to his booth and said he would try to work in "Old Cape Cod" I said, my God, how did you remember that! It was the mark of how nice a man he was. RIP, Herby, we will miss you.
Mullen, G2, D10, Peavey Nashville 112, Roland Cube 80XL, DD3, Goodrich L10 VP.
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

I first met and got to know Herby when he played the first steel show that I organized here in Fulton MS. I had, of course, heard his playing at steel shows, on television, recordings, etc... before this and knew what a monster player he was, but I was even more impressed when I met him in person. He was not only an incredible musician, but was such a really nice, down to earth person. We became friends when he came to Fulton, and I was saddened when I heard of his passing.

I remember at the Fulton show, that Herby kept worrying that a stroke that he had previously had kept him from playing at his full potential. If it did affect him, only Herby would have known, because his speed, intonation, tone and everything else was spot on perfect. I can't imagine anyone being able to do better than he did that day.
George Allour

RIP Herbie Wallace

Post by George Allour »

Rest in peace Br. Herbie. May the perpetual light shine upon you
I know you have probably already met the Supreme Archetect,
so-mode-it be

George Allour
580 Key, Allen Pk. Mi