Suggestions for Repacement Pickup for Sierra 8-String Lap

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Limbach

Suggestions for Repacement Pickup for Sierra 8-String Lap

Post by John Limbach »

I love my Sierra. That said, the George L S10-1 doesn't do it for my ear. I'd like something more Oahu than Nashville sounding. Primarily for Hawaiian music.

I'd appreciate suggestions from you knowledgeable guys out there. Maybe something of Rick A's would do the trick?
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Maybe something of Rick A's would do the trick?
I'd certainly bet it would :D
Former Member

Post by Former Member »

The "coilsurround" PU Rick Aiello put in my JB frypan is the perfect call!! VERY clean and clear high and low notes, very lush with no distortion, uniform volume across all 8 strings, no unwanted noise...There's a pic of it in Ricks coilsurround thread. I mailed him the guitar and he did everything. he makes them custom to each guitar and string#'s
Robert Sands

Post by Robert Sands »

Try a Jerry Wallace TrueTone pickup. I just had Jerry make me one for my 8 string Super Slide. I had a George L in it also and didn't care for the tone. Not that it was a bad sound but it wasn't what I wanted to hear. The TrueTone has more of that single coil edge and chime. More vintage. Not too noisy either which I was concerned about because I was going from that humbucker to a single coil. But it's not bad at all. He makes a great pickup and he's a nice guy to deal with.
Rick Winfield

Tt

Post by Rick Winfield »

I offer another vote for the Wallace True Tone pup.
I've got one on my 12 string, wound to about 19.5, and it sounds great, (to me)
Rick
Doug Burling

Post by Doug Burling »

I know the following videos are pedal steel vrs lap steel, but you can hear the difference between the George L and the Wallace True Tone. The first video is the Wallace and the second is the George L. I think I've got this right from what it says at the bottom of the first video about the "#3"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY-vnQyS ... re=channel

To me, the George L sounds brighter. What do you think. Also, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to change to the Wallace True Tone on Sierra. I have a Sierra 8 string with the George L and like the way it sounds. But after watching the two videos above, I like the Wallace True Tone over the George L.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

You might want to check out Jason Lollar's pups too.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mercha ... ar-pickups
John Limbach

Post by John Limbach »

Thanks for all the comments.

After considering them all and doing a lot of reseach, I've decided to go with Rick's "Coilsurround" unit.

Now I'm like a kid waiting for Santa!

Will post some pix when I install it so you can get a better idea of how it goes into the Sierra.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

I am sorry about posting this so late, but I have a S-8 Sierra with a Jerry Wallace TrueTone pickup and it has a very good tone and sounds very Hawaiian.

The video of the pedal steel playing with the TrueTone pickup is not a good representation of the sound of the Truetone on the Sierra.
Doug Burling

Post by Doug Burling »

Don Kona Woods wrote:I am sorry about posting this so late, but I have a S-8 Sierra with a Jerry Wallace TrueTone pickup and it has a very good tone and sounds very Hawaiian.

The video of the pedal steel playing with the TrueTone pickup is not a good representation of the sound of the Truetone on the Sierra.
Do you have any recordings of your Sierra with the TrueTone?
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Wait till you see this one ... :whoa:

:mrgreen:
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Doug Burling wrote:I know the following videos are pedal steel vrs lap steel, but you can hear the difference between the George L and the Wallace True Tone. The first video is the Wallace and the second is the George L. I think I've got this right from what it says at the bottom of the first video about the "#3"

the recording quality of these two youtube videos is not consistant enough to even remotely draw a conclusion. the tru tone audio is markedly better than the george l video.
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

I have the Wallace TrueTone in mine, and like it better than the George L...not as dark, more "clear" in the bass end, and more versatile IMO-- well balanced between "vintage" and "modern" sounds. Not pricey, either.

Having heard Dave Giegerich (who always sounded fantastic) play the Sierra with the George L and the Wallace TT, among other pickups-- I'd have to say the best sound he got through that steel was with an Aiello "Potbelly".
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

The Lollar Horseshoe, AlumiTone, and Aiello's new monster would be my top 3 options.