Herby Wallace

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ernest Tuttle

Herby

Post by Ernest Tuttle »

Sorry to hear of his passing. He will be greatly missed. I have known Herbie for many years and we
will miss him at the Saluda Convention.

Ernest Tuttle
Kenny Martin

Post by Kenny Martin »

My heart is broke for sure! I played my set right after Herby's last year in Saluda. He apologized to the crowd and said he played so bad!
Before my set I told Herby over the mic that most of us the couldn't carry his steel case!
We became good friends and in a private email he thanked me for the kind words but I know and everybody else did, that he is a true icon and awesome friend to all of us!

I will miss him so bad!
Rest in peace my friend and the good Lord now has another awesome steel player in the band we all would love to hear!.........Kenny
Doug Childress

Post by Doug Childress »

It is hard to find any words that adequately convey the incredible sense of loss felt with the passing of Herby. I first met him at a little music store in Nederland, Texas where he was doing a short show to help promote steel guitar. That was also the first time that he and Roy Rosetta played together. From there they formed a long friendship. I saw Herby at almost every ISGC since 1982 and later at the Dallas shows. What a great talent and person. May God's peace be with the soul of Herby and with his loving family.
Don Ricketson

Post by Don Ricketson »

Rest in peace my Brother.
Jerry Humphries

Post by Jerry Humphries »

My condolences go to the family and may God grant you comfort during this difficult time. Herbie is playing for the Master now.
Dave Alfstad

Post by Dave Alfstad »

My heart is so heavy today with the news of Herby's passing! There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but because of Herby's impact on me I wouldn't feel right without posting a short word in memorandum.

Herby has always been an inspiration to me throughout the process of learning to play steel guitar. Especially early on, I listened to "Taking A Break Herby Wallace Style" and "The Chatanooga Choo-Choo" so many times I've just about worn them out. His sets at the ISGC were among those that I looked forward to most, and he was always one of the nicest, most helpful guys to talk to. There will never be anyone like Herby Wallace, and today I am mourning the loss of this great musician. My thoughts and condolences to Bunny and the rest of his family.

Dave Alfstad
Last edited by Dave Alfstad on 6 Apr 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Preston

'' God bless and comfort the family ''

Post by Gary Preston »

:( Surely we have lost one of the best steel players and great friend in Mr. Herby Wallace . I loved Herby as he played most of my Gospel Steel Guitar Jubilees . We had some good talks about steel guitar . One of the kindest people you would ever want to know . My prayers is that God will be close to the family and comfort them in these trying times . God bless you Bunny . G.P.
Fred Malone

Post by Fred Malone »

Another day of sorrow. My condolences go out to Bunny and the family.May God comfort each and everyone of the family in this time of sorrow.R.I.P. Herby. Fred
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

I hope a picture (1st taken Mar. 9/'12; 2nd taken Mar. 11/'11 @TSGA Jams) is worth a thousand words as all I can say is "RIP, Herby." Sincerely, Jim Harrison.
Image Image
Buck Grantham

Herby

Post by Buck Grantham »

Herby and Bonny are good friends and have been for many years. He will be sorely missed. We are praying for the family. Love ,Buck & Mitzi
Music to light up your life
J PARKER

Herby

Post by J PARKER »

R I P Herby my friend. I will be in prayer for the family. Its so sad another legend gone.
Jeremiah Hanley

Post by Jeremiah Hanley »

We join with all of you dear friends in praying for Herby's wife and family! May the Lord comfort their
hearts!
Jerry and Venda
BOBBY JACKS

Post by BOBBY JACKS »

The Second Song I ever learned to play was Herby's way of I Love You Because, Because of Him I still play it HIS Way Today RIP My Friend I Will Remember !!
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

"Let's run it into the ground" Ron Lashley told this story several times of back in the early days when he and Herby would be hanging out together that Herby would want to go and get the bigest milkshakes they could find. Herby would say to Ron "let's run it into the ground". I think of this quote very often anytime I am wanting to over endulge. Maybe he and Ron are back together running it into the ground. When I purchased my first guitar from Ron I bought the Emmons EM-E9 course that was produced by Herby. In fact, I just had it out last week refreshing myself of the material. I think I have just about the entire collection of HWP courses and recordings. Not sure of what I would have done in the beginnings of trying to learn the instrument without these instructional aides. I owe more to Herby than I had previously realized. Rest in peace and may the family find comfort in the arms of God.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

We have all lost a great friend. Our prayers go out for Bunny and the family. I heard Herby play over 30 years ago and I couldn't believe how fast and accurate someone could play. I'll miss his friendship and our long talks, especially over dinner at Chucks in Norwalk. RIP Herby.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Really sad news, a fixture at all the shows that he was able to attend,always there to help. We'll all miss him...RIP Herby

Prayers going up for the family. Bill
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Mitzi Grantham sent me this picture taken at the Dallas show in March, 2012.

I was introducing Herby and giving him a hard time about "apologizing" about his playing. BECAUSE, he never needed to.

We were great friends and he always kidded me about being 15 days older than him.

Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

I add my feelings of shock and disbelief at this terrible news to those which have been so eloquently expressed on the forum. To all Herbie's family and his many, many friends I send my sincerest condolences.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Another great member of our steel guitar family has gone on. Several years ago, I bought a complete Mosvalve/Tubeworks rack system from Herby. I always enjoyed his willingness to "chat" steel guitar and explain any questions I had, as customer service came 1st with Herby! Your steel family will miss you Herby. Prayers for your family.
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

In a recent post Herby had commented on the fact that steel was not being used much in the shows in his area these days and when auditioning they always ask if you play another instrument. Well I am sure that God will not be asking that question and he will be welcomed into the great band above. He will have an opportunity to see old friends like Speedy again.
You will be missed here Herby.
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

Very sad news. I always looked for Herby at the Steel shows and enjoyed his playing. It will not be the same. My thoughts and prayers to the Wallace family.
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Herby always had a friendly word to those who wanted to talk steel guitar. Condolences to his family. In his prime, a player who was as good as anybody.
Last edited by Ken Byng on 7 Apr 2012 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Greg Wisecup

Post by Greg Wisecup »

This instrumental made a big hit with me. Herby needed to apologize for nothing. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PHd4Yj8w_k
Derby SD-10 4&5 Black!(duh)/
Derby D-10/Steelers Choice/
Goodrich 120/ 2- Katana Boss 100's
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Kevin Robbins

Herby Wallace Passing

Post by Kevin Robbins »

On behalf of the MASGA, I'd like to say how much Herby will be missed. He was a great player as well as a great person. He will always be a huge asset to the PSG community.

Herby always play,"Ten Thousand Years" during his performance. His Ten Thousand Years has just begun. Herby rest in peace and our blessings go out to Bunny, the family and all who had the priviledge to be a part of his life on earth.
MASGA, Mullen G2, Hilton, Evans, Webb, Walker
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Lisa Wood, Terry Wood, Zane Wood, Herby and Bunny Wallace at the 5th Annual Marshfield, MO Steel Guitar Show

Herby Wallace our special guest at the 5th Marshfield Woody Steel Guitar Show

Herby Wallace is a Giant in my book. He came as our Special Steel Guest at our 5th Annual Steel Guitar Show. Herby did a super job playing for us! As mentioned he had struggled with playing and dexterity after the stroke he had suffered in 2006, but he was a fighter and never gave up. He apologized about his performance for us and I told him that he did a great job for us and he did. Like I have shared with others at times, Herby could play circles around most of us even when we play our best on a good day.

Herby and I visited and stayed in touch and we had planned to get him back to our show. He always had lots of funny stories and it was a delight to visit with him. Also we had two other steel player friends and heroes in common, alias Speedy West and Julian Tharpe.

Herby was a Great guy, friend, story-teller, teacher, recording artist, musician and a Master of The Steel Guitar!

Prayers are offered for his wife, children, family and many friends!

Terry Wood
Marshfield/Woody's Steel Guitar Shows
Last edited by Terry Wood on 7 Apr 2012 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.