Volume pedal recomendation for Carter starter

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kevin Lichtsinn

Volume pedal recomendation for Carter starter

Post by Kevin Lichtsinn »

I have a Carter starter (cost me $350) and I was wondering what you others would recommend for a volume pedal for it. I have Boss pedal and it works, but it is unusable because I don't have room for my legs!! Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the help. I am having a blast with it!!!!
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Lot of guys use & recommend the Hilton VP,I myself have a Goodrich H10K that I converted to a passive pot pedal.The little circuit brd. that was in it went belly up so I just bypassed it,works great,some even use an Ernie Ball VP,I wouldn't recommend it because of the height.I'm sure some of the other players will recommend something they use or like.
Jim Curtain

Post by Jim Curtain »

I am using a Morley Optical with my Carter Starter, very pleased with the results.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

There's a Goodrich low profile
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

For a Carter Starter, I would maybe recommend one from an Edsel. :roll:
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Erv, be nice. Think of the Carter Starter as a gateway drug. ;-)
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Me bad :whoa:
Ryan Knudson

Post by Ryan Knudson »

Kevin,

I sent you a PM.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

get a good used Goodrich 120 Kevin
http://www.steelguitar.net/volpedal11.html
the low profil model (120L) is for the long legged/tall steelers
they do pop up in the for sale sektion
otherwise, get a hold of Jerry Roller on my behalf
he'll set you up
rollermusic"AT"cox.net>
Tim Herbert

Post by Tim Herbert »

Kevin, you got a good price on the Starter (and believe me, a lot of us got started on that guitar), so if you plan to stay with the PSG I'd suggest investing wisely in a good volume pedal - you won't regret it, and it will save a lot of frustration. Goodrich, Hilton, and (for the financially less-challenged) Telonics are popular models, for very good reasons. Here are some links so you can compare (although if you can actually test drive them, that's by far the best option - the "feel" is important):

http://www.tonetronix.com/c/Goodrich-Vo ... edals.html
(I don't think Goodrich has a company website of their own)

http://www.hiltonelectronics.com/

http://www.telonics.com/index.php

Hope this helps!
Tim Herbert - Wisconsin
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to pay more for a volume pedal than the guitar. :whoa:
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Prolly true .....but if he decides to upgrade the guitar a decent VP is already there & he need not purchase one,however if that is going to be his one & only guitar then I would have to agree,not worth investing a lot in a VP if you're only gonna plunk around home with no intention of upgrading.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I basically agree with Erv's last post, but if you just need a little bit of extra clearance for your legs, a low-profile Goodrich 120 (L-120) might work. Used examples can sometimes be had reasonably. You also might be able to lift the back legs up a bit. Together, they may get you enough clearance.

But have you thought about raising the instrument? I think Carter did originally have some mechanism to lift them. Perhaps the current distributor of whatever is left of Carter's inventory (is that not Al Brisco in Canada?) might have some ideas.

Speaking personally, I'm too tall to use any normal-height guitar. A combination of raising the back legs with an L-120 didn't cut the mustard. Therefore, I use a lift kit on any pedal steel I play. Look up "lift kit" on the forum, there are lots of threads on these. Again, a normal lift kit may not work on a CS - I've never had one, so you may have to improvise.
Kevin Lichtsinn

Thanks to all for the help! I do appreciate everyones' opinions. Now all I have to do is decide....

Erv, I can't find an Edsel dealer. I guess that option is out. :lol: he he he he :lol: Actually, Erv has helped me out a bit earlier. :)

Someday folks, I will upgrade when I feel my playing is worthy of it and when I have enough cash in my cookie jar. Right now I do have cash for a decent pedal.......and I do plan ahead...so...
Kevin Lichtsinn

Dave Mudgett wrote:I basically agree with Erv's last post, but if you just need a little bit of extra clearance for your legs, a low-profile Goodrich 120 (L-120) might work. Used examples can sometimes be had reasonably. You also might be able to lift the back legs up a bit. Together, they may get you enough clearance.

But have you thought about raising the instrument? I think Carter did originally have some mechanism to lift them. Perhaps the current distributor of whatever is left of Carter's inventory (is that not Al Brisco in Canada?) might have some ideas.

Speaking personally, I'm too tall to use any normal-height guitar. A combination of raising the back legs with an L-120 didn't cut the mustard. Therefore, I use a lift kit on any pedal steel I play. Look up "lift kit" on the forum, there are lots of threads on these. Again, a normal lift kit may not work on a CS - I've never had one, so you may have to improvise.
I will check out the lift kit thing. If my Carter was any lower I would get my long legged self under it. I already raised the back as much as I can!
Kevin Lichtsinn

I should have said, that "I can barely get my legs under my Carter as it is"
Kevin Lichtsinn

Lane Gray wrote:Erv, be nice. Think of the Carter Starter as a gateway drug. ;-)
I thought playing guitar was some kind of disease....now I find out that I could be addicted to a guitar drug!! Reso, lap, pedals, AHG!! :)
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Kevin,
Since you've given up on an Edsel pedal, look around for an Ernie Ball pedal. They made some with the jacks coming out the side instead of in front. They work out quite well. :D
Pete Ethridge

Post by Pete Ethridge »

which ever pedel you get make sure you buy 2 new cords with it,that way you know what you got
i use a ZUM SINGLE ON a double frame, no effects,and a nashville 400 that is it
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

The adjusting screws on a CS are 1/2-13 thd.,so to get more lift go to a hardware store & get a length of 1/2-13 threaded stock & make some longer screws,you can also get the rubber ends for that too.
Kevin Lichtsinn

Thanks everybody!!
Rick Contino

Post by Rick Contino »

Also, you can start by just raising the back two legs. This will give you more leg room without having to mess with the pedal rods.
Shobud "The Professional" D-10, National "New Yorker," Gwin Custom Tube Amp thru 15" SICA neo speaker.
Kevin Lichtsinn

I will try these suggestions. Thanks!
Kevin Lichtsinn

Goodrich it is going to be!!
Lewis Goldsmith

Post by Lewis Goldsmith »

!$350?! You STOLE that thing! I had one for about a year and a half, not a bad starter guitar, got me off the ground and into a new Fessy. Paid $600 for mine, it stayed in tune VERY well and played good too. I sold mine last year on ebay and couldn't believe my eyes when it sold for $1095! They must be collectors items now or something!