Mack Watkins[The Kendalls]

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ted Emmons

Mack Watkins[The Kendalls]

Post by Ted Emmons »

We lost our dear friend Mack Watkins that was married to Jeannie Kendall and a great lead guitar player. He passed at about 11 p m Sunday night He will be at the Roller-Christensen funeral home in Harrison Arkansas. When I find out more of the details about the funeral I will post them.Keep Jeannie and her family in your prayers. Mac is in a better place. Ted Emmons
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I've been looking here every day for news. I was always glad not to see anything. But, I am also relieved that he is no longer going to suffer. Now Jeannie can start to heal. My thoughts go out out to her, the families and all of the friends.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

RIP Mack. Prayers for Jeanie and the rest of the Family.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Ted Emmons

Post by Ted Emmons »

Vistation will be at New Hope Baptist Church on Hwy 14 in Omaha Arkansas at 1 pm followed by the funeral at 2 pm on Thursday March 29. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers Ted Emmons
Jeremiah Hanley

Post by Jeremiah Hanley »

Jeannie, We're praying for you! May the Lord be near and give you strength! He loves you so much!
Jerry and Venda
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Ted asked if I had a few pictures of Mack to post. I'm sad as we all are but so thankful for the memories to hold on to. Mack and Jeannie were a blessing to our Steel Guitar Association and we certainly will miss Mack and his visits and talent.

Jeannie with Ted Emmons on vocals at our 8/16/09 Kenny Brant Memorial Service

Same event with Mack on Lead and Steve Melchi on Steel.

Our 09 Christmas Party Two super pickers - Mack & Dino Strunk

Mack putting Dino's James Burton through it's paces

Mack

Mack and Jeannie at our last show in February this year

Mack & Jeannie and "The Movin'Train Band" Steve Melchi on Steel, Ted Emmons on Bass & Vocals and Derek Walker on drums

What a wonderful blessing to have them there and be the highlight of the day and leave us with some fresh and wonderful memories of Mack.
Ted Emmons

Post by Ted Emmons »

Bill thank you so much for those photos. Mac loved coming and playing those steel guitar shows and jams with us. I know he's in heaven now pickin with Royce Kendall and Del Reeves and all the great country singers and pickers he worked with down here
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

This is sad news. Mack and I worked together on Del Reeves' band in 1973. He was a great guy.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Dino Strunk

Post by Dino Strunk »

I really am at a loss for words right now. It really has been a rough couple of weeks for me, as well as for so many others, with the loss of both Mack and Dave Owens. Both were such great musicians but even more important, such great friends to all of us. But I also know that they are both doing what they love to do right now....they are playing in God's great band in heaven. RIP Mack and Dave. Lord willing, I'll see you both again in the great jam session in the sky. :cry:
Dino Strunk
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

This is indeed a shock. I loved listening to Mack play at the steel shows in Harrison, Arkansas. My deepest condolences go out to Jeannie and their families. RIP Mr. Mack.

Arkansas Red-Ozark Troubadour
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
ESnow

Mack

Post by ESnow »

I sure hated to hear this, especially since I hadn't seen Mack in 10 years. We played a lot of gigs together in the '90's. Sometimes I would get a call for a weekend job, get to the gig and see Mack setting up, that always made my day, or he would call and say lets pick with so and so I always enjoyed working with him. I know he will be missed by many, RIP my friend.
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

I offer sincere condolences and prayers for Jeannie and family.
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

Our thoughts and prayers for Jeannie and all the family. We enjoyed seeing Her at Branson in February. Larry Baker and Jean DeVore
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

Dino is right it has been a tough couple of weeks.... Our prayers of support and comfort go out to the Family and friends of Mack...I met Mack a hundred years ago when I came to Branson looking for a job. Never got a job but I met some great people including Mack....RIP
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

Dino is right it has been a tough couple of weeks.... Our prayers of support and comfort go out to the Family and friends of Mack...I met Mack a hundred years ago when I came to Branson looking for a job. Never got a job but I met some great people including Mack....RIP
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Eddie Lane

Post by Eddie Lane »

I always liked for Mack to sit in on the Branson jams. He was a great guitar player and a great guy.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Jeannie.
Ted Emmons

Post by Ted Emmons »

I want to thank everyone who came to Mack's funeral yesterday. I know Jeannie appreciated seeing how much Mack was loved and respected in the country music community not only as a good musician but as a Christian gentleman that never met a stranger. Barbara Fairchild sang and was awe inspiring with her songs and message of encouragemnt. I know it's going to be tough on Jeannie and her Mom for awhile so please keep them in your prayers God Bless Ted Emmons
Lisa Ray

Mack

Post by Lisa Ray »

What a beautiful service it was yesterday for our friend Mack Watkins. From the pictures, the music, and the many folks who came to pay their respects, Mack was very loved and will be very missed.
Winston Street

Post by Winston Street »

Ted it was nice meeting you and so many other of Macks friends at the Church. I agree with you, Barbara Fairchild did an exceptional job singing and uplifting everyone.

I tried to upload the Powerpoing that we put together with Jeannie but couldn't get it to upload. Maybe someone else can tell me how, or I can send it to them and they can upload it.

I'm back in Mississippi now but I hope to come back up within the next couple of weeks and spend some time with you guys. I recieved a phone call from Marilyn and Cliff tonight and they told me that someone has stolen all of the flowers off of Macks and another persons grave there in the church graveyard. We caught some doing that around here but I don't think they'll be doing it anymore. Jeannie doesn't know it yet.

Have a nice weekend and coming week,
Winston
Charlie Vaughn

Post by Charlie Vaughn »

Mac Watkins and I were very good friends. We worked together in Atlanta, GA at a club called country green with George Owens. The bass player was Bill Benton, who also died the same week as Mac. Both were good musicians and dear friends. RIP guys I will miss you.