A unique How D'Ya Do

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Whitfield

A unique How D'Ya Do

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Scroll down to the player to hear Benny Kalama lead his group thru the tune, and figure out the steel player. It's probably Jules, on B11?
Is anybody familiar with 'My Island'?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEN-BENNY-KALAM ... 256e12da74
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Hey RON... I'm betting on JULES ... Great find !
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

Yeah, nice...kinda the perky, tongue-in-cheek version...can't call the steeler but it does fit with what I've heard from Jules Ah See.
Dave Mayes

Post by Dave Mayes »

I did a little googling and yeah, it's Jules on "How'd Ya Do". This might be the version released on the Webley Edwards LP "Waikiki". "My Island" is on the very first Webley Edwards 12" LP (title doesn't ring a bell). Don't have these LP's handy, so I can't tell you any more than that.
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

I've been wondering if it could be the WAIKIKI LP version, too! Back in the good ole vinyl LP days, they would transfer 45's to LP's & vice versa. Or, they could be 2 different re-recorded versions. I just got the WAIKIKI LP not too long ago--I'd been searching for it for years. When I got it I was amazed that it had Jules playing HOW D'YA DO on it. Most excellent album, by the way!
Norman Markowitz

Post by Norman Markowitz »

Butch is correct. I just listened to the version on the Hawai'i Calls, Presented by Webley Edwards LP "Waikiki" Capitol T772 and it's the same version. The only performer cited on the back cover is Haunani Kahalewai, and "the entire group" under the direction of Al Kealoha Perry. It says that this album marks the singing debut of Haunani. As Butch has also said, it is a most excellent album.
Last edited by Norman Markowitz on 15 Mar 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Interesting..., not unique at all! I just hadn't heard it, or have forgotten hearing it. Good work guys.
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

Ron, forgot to mention that it is the B11. Played along with it last night-it's definitely the B11!
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Thanx, Butch!
Bill Wynne

Post by Bill Wynne »

A little late to the party (as usual), I can reconfirm that this is the "Waikiki!" LP and that it is Jules playing. This is the second Hawaii Calls/Webley Edwards long player. David Keli'i was no longer with the cast at that point (1957), and it predates the cast when Edwards began carrying two steel players (first Jules and Barney, later Barney and Danny Stewart).

There is an excellent LP by Jules with Benny Kalama that I have never seen mentioned on this forum and which is long out of print. "Hawaiian Enchantment" was on the Decca label, and it marks one of the rare occasions that we don't have to guess who the steeler is because the front cover clearly states, "Benny Kalama and His Orchestra featuring Jules Ah See." That is the good news. The bad news is that it is intended as a lush, romantic album - hence, all ballads.

Am I the only one who has heard this?

I felt a big collective "duh!" at the realization that Jules recorded "How D'Ya Do" in B11. But he was not like other players. "Sand" was also written in B11, but Jules recorded it in C6.
Dave Mayes

Post by Dave Mayes »

I have a Decca label Benny Kalama LP titled "Echoes of Hawaii" that features Jules. There's one called "Hawaiian Enchantment"?
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Hell, if I didn't have duh, I wouldn't have anything at all!

That Echoes LP is a winner, but I don't have it. I have it the 80 Shakes LP, too bad there's not more output by Benny as leader. His solo '90s CD is great as well, pretty sure Byrd is on that one.
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

I also have the "Echoes of Hawaii" LP. Bought it when I was 12 or 13--didn't really know what I was doing at that time--just liked the SOUND of Hawaiian music & steel guitar! Little did I know at the time, it would become one of my most cherished treasures of Jules!

Bill, not sure if I understand what you mean about Jules recording Sand in ONLY C6? Basil had an outstanding, extensive, in-depth article--with tab--a sort-of "HOW TO", step-by-step explanation of how Jules played Sand on the HAWAIIAN SHORES album. Jules used 2 tunings on Sand--B11 & CMaj9(variation of C6). I followed the info that Basil gave & to my ear, it sounds just like the record. I couldn't find that article out on the internet--I could post it here on the forum, but I would want to get permission from Basil, first. Actually, Basil needs to comment on this anyway--maybe he'll post it.
Bill Wynne

Post by Bill Wynne »

Butch Pytko wrote:I also have the "Echoes of Hawaii" LP. Bought it when I was 12 or 13--didn't really know what I was doing at that time--just liked the SOUND of Hawaiian music & steel guitar! Little did I know at the time, it would become one of my most cherished treasures of Jules!

Bill, not sure if I understand what you mean about Jules recording Sand in ONLY C6?
I don't believe I wrote "ONLY C6." I just wrote "in C6." I think I have about every recording of "Sand" ever laid down, the version Basil wrote about by Jules is the only version I can find in C6.
Bill Wynne

Post by Bill Wynne »

Dave Mayes wrote:I have a Decca label Benny Kalama LP titled "Echoes of Hawaii" that features Jules. There's one called "Hawaiian Enchantment"?
Nope. I lied. Which is what happens when old farts like me rely on their memories.

The album I was referring to is indeed "Echoes of Hawaii." The other title I pulled out of my rear was by arranger Charles Bud Dant.