Note for Beginners

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chuck Hayes

Note for Beginners

Post by Chuck Hayes »

I too am a beginner with only a few weeks under my belt. I read here on the forum that one of the best things to do is sit down with a seasoned player and have him give you some pointers, I had the chance to do that today for a couple hours and was an awesome experience!! The books, videos and tabs are great, but nothing can beat a 1 on 1 lesson from a seasoned player!
Last edited by Chuck Hayes on 13 Mar 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stage One, Session 400, Enie Ball Jr, 1978 Tele, Fender 65 Reissue Deluxe Reverb, Wampler and Carl Martin pedals
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

What kinda seasoning?
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Ransom, my teacher was a wise old Sage. Kind of a Salty old guy. He Peppered his lessons with a healthy helping of spicy tid-bits. He was so far ahead of me, I knew I'd never Ketchup.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Dang it. Now I'm hungry.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

Chuck,There is always a smart ass in the crowd.Keep learning. Elbo
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Chuck Hayes

Post by Chuck Hayes »

I work at a car dealership and play in a bar every weekend so I'm used to smart asses, these guys aren't slow me down any. Believe me I can be a smart ass too!!
Stage One, Session 400, Enie Ball Jr, 1978 Tele, Fender 65 Reissue Deluxe Reverb, Wampler and Carl Martin pedals
Dennis Lee

Chuck

Post by Dennis Lee »

IF YOU'RE PLAYING IN A BAR ALREADY, YOU'RE A PRO! JUST KIDDING, SEAT TIME IS THE KEY TO LEARNING, JUST LIKE FLYING AN AIRPLANE, IT'S TIME IN THE SEAT. CHECK OUT MIKE ARCHER'S DVD'S. THEY ARE TOPS FOR ANY LEVEL OF LEARNING AND A GREAT VALUE. I CAN REFER BACK TO THEM FOR SONGS, LICKS, ETC.
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Whenever I talk to beginners or people thinking about taking it up, I tell them this: if you do nothing else, watch John Fabian's video on steel demystified for 6-string player, even if you don't play guitar. I tell them to watch the video before they even sit down behind a steel, and they will already be off in the right direction. I cannot say enough about how absolutely key that video is.

http://www.steelguitar.com/vids/6string.wmv