For guitarists with injuries or disabilities

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Chris Griffin

For guitarists with injuries or disabilities

Post by Chris Griffin »

WARNING: PURISTS TURN AWAY BEFORE YOU'RE OFFENDED!
I'm presenting this info in the hope it may help someone coping with difficulties, I know there are some out there.
I came to steel guitar because injuries forced me to. Sorry purists! I have tried many open tunings, converted several guitars to lap steel by fitting nut extensions. A major problem has been my inability to slant the bar, also pain caused by damping unwanted noise.
So....I dug out my old nylon string guitar (look out purists) applied a nut extension, tuned to open D minor 7, & started playing jazz & blues.
The nylon is much more forgiving than steel strings, unwanted noise can be ignored. I really like the mellow tone of nylon for jazz.
I spread out open chords arpeggio style & can play jazz with very few chord changes. "Satin Doll" can be played with 4 chords & 6 changes.
If any purists are still here, I use a Shubb GS1 steel. If I'm not a steeler, what am I? Who makes the rules?
I hope this may make someone's journey a little easier, it's taken me 6 years to get here. I'm just a bedroom player, not in the same league as many here. I play simply for my own enjoyment. Have fun! That's what it's all about!
John Dahms

Post by John Dahms »

It is not how you do it,
it's what you do.
Time flies like an eagle
Fruit flies like a banana.
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

It's worth mentioning I use a thick flatpick to get the right tone. I use a Jim Dunlop 3mm "Big Stubby." Thin picks just won't do it on nylon. I guess a Wes Montgomery type thumb would be fine. Probably just as well Jerry Byrd can't read this stuff. No purists are lurking here anyway...... :aside:
Ron Whitfield

This hard core purist say's...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

...it's great that you do what you do, viva da kine!
You're a steel player who does many things contrary to the given best ways to do them.
It's your guitar, your life, your way.
Rules are made to be broken.
Who cares what others say?
What did you have for breakfast? Did you use the correct spoon?
We're watching you, watching us, watching them, watching you. So watch it!
And have fun gettin' it on!
Dana Blodgett

for guitarists with injuries

Post by Dana Blodgett »

...If I could've I would've had "Loco Moco" for breaktust but instead I had Two cinnamon rolls!
Seriously,I like different,off the beaten path,unusually different stuff!
Ron is right, who cares- keep on doin' it- rules were definately made to be broken.
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Just goes to show that if the music is in you, it will find a way out. If it puts a smile on your face, then your doing it right Image
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

Isn't the internet great! Without sites like this forum, Brad's Page of Steel, & lots of other info available on the net, I wouldn't be playing guitar right now. I would've had to give it away, unable to find a way around my difficulties. I've been able to learn so much about open tunings, became a bit of a "mad scientist" with tunings, as John Ely puts it.
I was sick of playing only blues on open G, was not getting excited by playing country on C6 (life's too short to play sad songs), then saw Mike Neer playing "Satin Doll" on steel on this forum, & I was hooked on playing jazz.
I had sold my Strat & amp, packed up my SX lap steel & stand, & was contemplating buying a keyboard setup (groan) when I read on another site a thread about playing jazz on nylon, & how it doesn't have the same sustain as steel strings.
That was just what I needed. So I dusted off the old nylon string guitar (which I was fixing to give away) & am enjoying playing jazz & blues on it.
I owe a lot to the "purists" on this forum. I don't really mean to knock them, I was just expecting to be flamed by some because Jerry Byrd didn't play nylon with a flatpick. If someone else is struggling with injury they may be able to keep playing by going nylon, that's all.
Regards & many thanks to one & all on this great forum, purists included. :D
Kekoa Blanchet

Post by Kekoa Blanchet »

Chris,

I'm working with a musician in a similar situation -- he's trying out steel guitar after an injury, but has difficulties with slants and muting We could benefit from your experience.

Could you give us more info on your tuning? What are the notes, specifically? Do you use string gauges different from a standard guitar? What are its advantages over C6 that makes it more suitable for jazz and blues? Do you have any arrangements, or even just examples of useful licks, that we could try out?

I'm glad to hear that you've found something that works for you. No flames from this direction -- what you're doing is great!
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

Hi Kekoa, Nice to hear of your interest. I use standard strings, tuned low to high...D A C F A C or 1 5 b7 b3 5 b7. I don't play the 6th string, jazz sounds better without the root note. The note on the 6th string denotes the chord, 3rd fret is F chord, 5th fret is G chord, & so on.
I simply arpeggiate the chord, play it up & down & around on the top 5 strings.
Try "Summertime"...
(A) Summertime & the living is easy
(D) Fish are jumping & the cotton is high
(G) Your daddy's rich & your mamma's good looking
(C) So hush little baby, don't you (G) cry
You don't slant the bar at all like you do on C6. I'd love to know how it goes. I have more simple arrangements I will post here soon. Wish you & your friend well. (edit 29th March...I have since tightened my tuning up to E B D G B D. Same intervals,same strings, just gives a better tone. This moves all the chords up a whole tone)
Last edited by Chris Griffin on 28 Mar 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

Kekoa, Try "Autumn Leaves"...
(G) The falling leaves drift by my window
The falling leaves of red & gold
(D) I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sunburned hands I used to hold
(B) Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
(D) But I miss you most of all my darling
(A) When autumn leaves start to fall
I try to play it the way Chet Atkins did (Youtube), with a bit of swing, otherwise it can sound a bit tired & old, kinda like me.
There's nothing professional here, I'm not claiming to be anything different than an amatuer, but I think the songs sound OK the way I play them.
Regards, Chris
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Chris, we all do whatever it takes to make the music we need to make. I wouldn't consider myself a purist by any stretch of the imagination, but I've always respected and taken what I needed from them. Sometimes I had to learn the hard way that they may have been right, but I was kind of rebellious in the beginning.

As far as coping with difficult physical issues in playing, I'm always in awe. I can think of a few folks who have really made an impression on me, one being Tom Doughty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ePw-57wgDs

If the music has to come out of you, you have to figure a way to get it out. Far be it for me or anyone else to criticize. Let the love of music guide your way.
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

Hi Mike, Very nice to hear from you, you've been a great inspiration to me. Tom Doughty can sure play a pretty song. Thanks for the encouragement.
It's difficult to come on a forum like this with so many talented guitarists & put my stuff out there, particularly when it's so far off the well-worn track. However I have read occasional posts by folks struggling with some of the physical stuff & thought my findings might be useful. Seems a shame to keep six years of research to myself if others can take some of it & use it. Kindest regards to you.
Chris
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

Hi Kekoa, Try "Money Can't Buy Me Love"...
(E) I'll buy you a diamond ring my friend
If it makes you feel all right
(A) I'll get you anything my friend
(E) If it makes you feel all right
(B) I don't care too (A) much for money
(E) Money can't buy me love

bridge...
(E) Can't buy me love. Everybody tells me so
Can't buy me love (B) No, no, no, no

I find my songs always sound best by finishing on the b3rd note, the 3rd string. Probably some technical reason for that which someone here could explain, I just know it sounds best. Another trick, which you most likely already know, is to finish the last verse by going up an octave. So instead of finishing on, say, F on the 3rd fret, take it up to the next F on the 15th fret. Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted.
Hope it goes well, Chris
Last edited by Chris Griffin on 11 Mar 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kekoa Blanchet

Post by Kekoa Blanchet »

Wow, thanks for such an extensive response, Chris. I won't be able to get together with my friend for a couple of weeks, but I'll be bringing this stuff with me when I do.

And you're not "preaching to the converted" at all. Any hints and tips, no matter how obvious they may seem, will help us work toward enjoying the instrument. Thanks again.
Kekoa Blanchet

Post by Kekoa Blanchet »

Chris, I sent you a private message. Please check your Inbox.
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

Kekoa, if'n I pressed the right buttons you should have 2 answers in your inbox. Let me know if you don't get them. All this tech stuff gets a bit out of control. :eek: Chris
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

A modification I made to my classical guitar was to turn the tuning pegs over by switching them from side to side so they can be operated from above while the guitar sits on my lap. You should see people's eyes open wide when they see it! There I go breaking the rules again... :\
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Chris, that's a common move with some of the old acoustic steels, such as the Nationals. I had the tuning pegs reversed on one of my old tricones. It was cool and made a lot of sense.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Troy Brenningmyer on the Reso-Nation forum has just created a new site for musicians with disabilites: www.AdaptiveMusician.com

Here's troy:

I'm very excited about a new website I've started, that I hope will really help a lot of people!!!

I started a brand new website called www.AdaptiveMusician.com. It's a FREE Forum, Blog/informative site for musicians overcoming physical adversity who have found creative out-the-ordinary ways of continue playing music despite their physical impairment.

I have gotten tons of phone calls from people who have switched to playing the Dobro because of something that has happened to them physically that has not allowed them use of their fingers, or hands, or arms, etc. and they simply needed to find an instrument that they could still play. The Dobro or Lap Steel is perfect for them, and I wanted www.AdaptiveMusician.com to be a FREE resource for them. An Online Community For Musicians Overcoming Physical Adversity. A place to communicate with other like minded musicians that are going through or have went through something similar to them, and can give them support, information, inspiration, and resources to find ways to adapt their technique or instrument to still be able to make great music!

If you have a chance swing by and join the site, and if you have something you want to say, head over to the Forum and tell your story or add something that can help others. The site is really really new, and I'm sure I'll be updating and fixing things all along the way, but without the content provided by YOU, the users, the site really won't grow. So feel free to add to it, and inspire others!!!
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

John Dahms, Ron Whitfield, Dana Blodgett, Tom Pettingill, Kekoa Blanchet, Mike Neer & Andy Volk, thank you all for the understanding reception to my post. I know steel is a subject close to people's hearts around these parts. I understand the history of the instrument is important. I know too that some struggle with the physical aspects of playing. Andy, I will certainly be looking at that new site, thanks for alerting us to it its existence. All's well in the land of lap steel!!!
Chris
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

Kekoa, just re-reading your question above, minor 7th tuning is better for jazz & blues because jazz is suited to, & often played in 7th chords. C6 is a country tuning, seems to me. And bar slanting is required to get some chords. Mike Neer plays jazz on C6 with a C# instead of a low C, but then your friend would also have to do some bar slanting.
Talk soon, Chris
Last edited by Chris Griffin on 12 Mar 2012 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jana Lockaby

Post by Jana Lockaby »

I lost my sight approx 12 years ago due to a hereditary eye disease. I didn't even know reso existed. About six years ago, I attended a bluegrass festival. I was looking for something to keep me out of trouble, occupy and challenge my mind. I had dulcimer in mind. Thinking it would be the easiest to learn. This guy sat me down, and put a reso in my lap, and a bar in my hand. Long story short...they told me a blind person couldn't play reso. One person told me I could. He was right. Now, it's reso, lap steel, and pedal steel.

It has been a challenge, but just tell me I can't do something, and then get out of my way. I may never play like Jerry Douglas, Buddy Emmons, or Jerry Byrd, but who cares. What losing my sight taught me was that it isn't the goal so much as the journey to reaching the goal that counts. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Good luck to you, and anyone who would flame you, has no idea what it's like to lose the ability you once had. Thanks for sharing your story.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Flame you? No way! Chris and Jana you are an inspiration to many. If the music is inside and has to get out people will find a way. Herb Remington taught a blind person to play by putting nail on the side of the fretboard at each fretboard position that the man could feel. Steel players are largely very supportive. To prove this, just check the forum archives. You'll find kind, helpful comments posted and encouragement for beginners from all-time greats like Paul Franklin, Jerry Byrd and Buddy Emmons.
Chris Griffin

Post by Chris Griffin »

Hello Jana, Well you sure came through some difficulties. Your story is amazing, congratulations!!! You should certainly be proud of your achievements. I didn't realize what I was opening up when I began this page.

Andy, Thanks for your kind words. Everybody has been great. I started the page with more than a bit of Aussie sarcasm. I just wanted to get in first!
I remember watching an old movie years ago about a pianist who lost his right arm & somebody wrote music for him to be played with his left arm. I seem to recall it was a true story. Of course, he was never a great pianist any more, but he could play music, that matters a great deal.
Chris.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

A few years back ... I lost sight in one eye and a few months later ... Lost fine motor control in my right arm and right leg ... completely numb.

I kept trying to build stuff ... Till I just about sanded my finger off one day ..

So I closed up shop .

I was quite depressed ... Not being able to play or work on steels / pickups.

Via my wife's encouragement .... I gave it another go and went to HSGA's 2010 Joliet convention .

Friday evening just before dinner (Syl's) ... I had another attack ... I called home, loaded up on prednisone and went on Saturday morning. I think I did OK ... Never saw the video.

I gave up again ...

Grew hot peppers as a distraction ...

A few months ago, decided to try building pickups again ... Developing an idea I had for awhile.

These medical issues are non-reversible ... So it was either give up on something that has been a huge part of my life for over 20 years ... Or find a way to work around it ...

Some days/weeks/months are good ... Then it all goes "south" fast.

I've decided to do whatever I can ... while I can ... Anyway I can ... :\

So cheers to anyone who can hurdle obstacles thrown in your path ... Cause it sure ain't easy getting back up over and over again ... :|