steel jam in Virginia,MD or DC area

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Gary Hamblin

Post by Gary Hamblin »

If anyone knows of a steel jam in Virginia close to Richmond ,or MARYLAND,DC area please post it. thanks GARY
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

let me know.. if you find one .. I'll come on down
Joseph V. Sapp

Post by Joseph V. Sapp »

That would make three of us.

Joe
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

joe, lets call Paul
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

yes!!
I couldn't make the last one I was invited to because of my gig schedule.. but now , expecting to be fired tonight.. I seem to have a more open schedule, between engagements , on hiatus as they say .. 8)
Billy Woo

Pedal Steel Jam in VA, DC, MD - Billy & Wanda Coopers ?

Post by Billy Woo »

This thread caught my eye because I'm originally from DC but I was thinking maybe if pedal steel players (or somebody) might approach Billy Coopers store to see if an event can be held there, this should accomplish a few things not too mention to promote sales of steel guitars at the store but hopefully a pedal steel event now I'm not an expert on this but I know if you locals can get a few name players to commit to the Jam event then you all would 'Off to the races' perhaps try using a Biab format with screen projector and have someone help organize the event. Anyway some food for thought and yes I miss DC, I used to live in N.E. about 2 miles from the Crossroads in Bladensburg, MD where Roy Buchanan used to play.. Anyway Good luck to all.
Michael R Duffey

Post by Michael R Duffey »

Add me to the list, please. Would definitely do this.

By the way, the Capital Country Showcase and Dance will be held at the American Legion Post 8 in downtown DC, on Sat. March 31. I'm sitting in with opening band.
Craig Harmon

Post by Craig Harmon »

I am in Richmond, and it seems like there are virtually no steel guitar players in the whole town! I used to drive up and take a lesson when I could from Buddy Charleton (may he rest in peace) because I did not know of a teacher here. If anybody knows of psg happenings in this area, I'd love to hear/participate.
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Craig, Sid Hudson is in or near Richmond! Well known as a monster guitarist,He's also amazing on his Emmons P/P...JS
Craig Harmon

Post by Craig Harmon »

Thanks, John. I'd love to connect with him, hear him if he is playing out and get his ideas about an instructor. Do you know who he plays with? I have not heard his name. I am a partner in a recording studio here and I know a lot of the rock guys in town. But unfortunately, good country music has pretty much eluded me here.
Glen E. Lanning

Post by Glen E. Lanning »

Sid Hudson is scheduled to play at our next jam in Kannapolis, NC (Near Charlotte). Come on Down.

www.masga.org
Past Secretary/President, MASGA
Mullen U12 (2004)
ShoBud Professional (1970)D10 8/4
Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112
Jay Jessup

Re: Pedal Steel Jam in VA, DC, MD - Billy & Wanda Cooper

Post by Jay Jessup »

Billy Woo wrote: the Crossroads in Bladensburg, MD where Roy Buchanan used to play...
And Pete Finney, and me and and Jim Hall and pretty sure Bruce Bouton may have played a few gigs there and can't imagine Tommy Hannum didn't play there once in a while!! My ears still ring from trying to fill that big room up from the stage with my twin (now Gary's) in one ear and the Tele players in the other!!

Craig,
It's hard to imagine Richmond is such a dead place for steel these days as there was so much going on there in the mid-70s. Bruce Bouton and I both got our start there taking lessons from Teddy Lloyd at Ray Garret's Metro music on Hull Street. Teddy is still alive but I don't think he plays anymore. I am pretty sure Don Fullmer still plays and could be a good link to other players in the area, don't think he is online so not sure how you find him. I believe Sid lives near Petersburg, always was a killer guitar player and shouldn't be too hard to find if you ask enough people. See if you can find another killer guitar player Bruce Nichols, I am sure he could tell you where to find Sid and maybe some steel activity---tell him I said HI!!
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

Billy Woo wrote: the Crossroads in Bladensburg, MD where Roy Buchanan used to play...
And Pete Finney, and me and and Jim Hall and pretty sure Bruce Bouton may have played a few gigs there and can't imagine Tommy Hannum didn't play there once in a while!! My ears still ring from trying to fill that big room up from the stage with my twin (now Gary's) in one ear and the Tele players in the other!!

Craig,
It's hard to imagine Richmond is such a dead place for steel these days as there was so much going on there in the mid-70s. Bruce Bouton and I both got our start there taking lessons from Teddy Lloyd at Ray Garret's Metro music on Hull Street. Teddy is still alive but I don't think he plays anymore. I am pretty sure Don Fullmer still plays and could be a good link to other players in the area, don't think he is online so not sure how you find him. I believe Sid lives near Petersburg, always was a killer guitar player and shouldn't be too hard to find if you ask enough people. See if you can find another killer guitar player Bruce Nichols, I am sure he could tell you where to find Sid and maybe some steel activity---tell him I said HI!!
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

Craig,
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

Craig,