Ronnie Miller/New CD

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Macy

Ronnie Miller/New CD

Post by John Macy »

I have had the pleasure of being friends with Ronnie Miller since we first met in mid -1976, right after I moved to Colorado. We hit it right off, and some of my favorite times were setting up on the side of the stage at the Club Corners when I was off the road and playing twin steels with Ronnie (and trust me, I walked away with way more than he ever did in the lick stealing department). Needless to say, we have been good friends for a long time...

Anyway, I was super excited to receive an advance copy of Ronnie’s new CD in the mail this week. Ronnie and I have talked often about making solo records and he always said that if he ever did one, he would do it right. Well, folks, he did it right. From the choice of songs to the musicians, he did it right. The main band on the record, of course, is the Pridesmen, from the Charlie Pride Show that Ronnie has been a part of for the last 20 years. They are all first rate players, and also the fact that they have played together for so long make the tracks tight as can be. He augmented the band with a few outside players, such as Kenny Vaughan (from Marty Stuart’s band) on guitar on Sawed Off Shotgun. The song list ranges from Charlie Pride and Conway Twitty medleys to The Doobie Brothers and Blood, Sweat and Tears! When Ronnie decided he needed a few vocal fills in between all the killer playing, he tapped a pretty deep well. Featured vocalists include Vince Gill, Charlie Pride, Daryl Singletary and Laney Hicks—what a lineup! On top of all this, it sounds killer, too. Ronnie tracked most of it in Dallas, and did overdubs and mixing with Greg Cole in Nashville, so it sounds as great as the playing.

Now I have been making records for a living for the past 30 or so years, and I get pretty picky. But as I told Ronnie, I would not change a thing on this record. It has a great classic country sound and feel, and I would highly recommend this record to be a part of your record collection. So check it out and buy it!
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

I hope Ronnie remembers to bring some to Dallas next week
Billy
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

Hi John,
This has been a good year for Colordao musicians, especially with Kenny Vaughn and Ronnie doing some solo projects. Looking forward to seeing and hearing Ronnie in Dallas.
Chuck
Terry Downs

Post by Terry Downs »

John,
It's nice of you to post this. You credentials mean a lot.

The CDs are planned to be available on Wednesday March 7th, 2012 on http://ronniemillermusic.com. They will also be available at the Dallas show in the GFI Room and the Dick Meis booth.

Also, there is a late breaking schedule change for Ronnie's appearance on Saturday March 10th. We will be performing at noon. The programs have a previously arranged time of 12:40PM for Ronnie's show, which is now incorrect.

Folks that are interested in this project can check out MP3 samples at: http://ronniemillermusic.com
Terry Downs
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

I just listened to clips of Ronnie Miller's new CD on his website, and was very impressed with everything I heard. Ronnie's unique touch, style, tone and musicianship is clearly and distinctly displayed throughout.

Exceptionally well done Ronnie, and I also congratulate you on your choice of backup musicians and singers, as well as arrangements and song selections.

I will be buying your CD at the Dallas show this coming week. I also look forward to hearing you play on Saturday, and I appreciate your loaning me your backup musicians Ron Jones, Derek Spagner, and Reggie Reufer for my part of the show.

Lastly, and most importantly, Teresa and I appreciate you and Ginger as our dear friends.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Ronnie sent me a promo copy of the CD and I listened to it Saturday night.

Wow. :)

Folks, there's some great playing on Ronnie's new CD. Traditional steel instrumentals and also some new, inventive instrumental arrangements of tunes that are usually vocals but now feature the steel singing the song and the singers doing the turnarounds!

And you won't believe some of the vocalists that RM has recruited for his album! :)

This CD will be a fine addition to anybody's steel guitar library; great work from a great picker!
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Chuck Cusimano

Post by Chuck Cusimano »

Ronnie Miller's New CD will more than likely be everybody's favorite for a long, long time. I too, was privelidged (SP?)to get to sample it. OUTSTANDING!!!!
I sure hope he has some with him in Dallas. I need to get a few for Friends. Best of luck to Ronnie Miller!!!
They call it FILL 'cause it goes in the holes. Don't cover up the singer.
Jerry Fessenden

Ronnie

Post by Jerry Fessenden »

I also , got the advance CD , I must be living right ! Really nice album ,,more work than any cd that I have heard from other steel projects ... Great tunes and players ..Ronnie sure plays well .. I have 3 singers in mind for vocals,,but, my fiddle player is as good as his !!! JF
Terry Downs

Post by Terry Downs »

The Brothers Legends & Friends CD will be available at the Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree at Dick Meis’s booth, the GFI room this weekend March 9th thru the 11th. It will also be available on the products page http://ronniemillermusic.com/products/ of Ronnie's website.
Terry Downs
Ronnie Miller

new album

Post by Ronnie Miller »

John, thanks for taking the time to start this thread.and thanks for the nice words, coming from someone that spends all of there life in the studio, those words are evan more appreciated. I am a large John Macy fan also, and cherish our many years of friendship, and time spent hangin.
can I borrow one of your grammy's for pictures?? LOL.
After a long time and a few large publishing hurdles we finally have the album finished and ready to sell.
We will have it this weekend at TSGA, also on the website as Terry said.
Thank you so much all my friends and fellow Steelers for your frienship and the kind words Chuck, Herb, Fessy, Billy. Terry Downs, your the bomb, Thank you.
Reece I am humbled by your words. Ginger and I love you and Teresa.
Hey Jerry, It's the same fiddle player,Ha.. Ginger and I listened to you album Dust Bowl when we were in Florida, nice job.. I see were you brought in a few ringers also... Good thinkin...Ronnie
Terry Downs

Post by Terry Downs »

Thanks so much. I really loved hanging out with all of you fine folks. Ronnie's CD is now available for digital download here:

http://ronniemillermusic.com/ronnie-mil ... downloads/

iTunes and Amazon are to come soon.
Terry Downs
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Fantastic CD Ronnie!!!
Dennis Atkins

Post by Dennis Atkins »

I have the CD which I got in Dallas from Ronnie, but have not listened to it yet. After seeing Ronnie and the band perform in Dallas on Saturday, All I can say is that the CD has got to be terrific. I think that Ronnie and the Pridesmen did a great job, and the show was an absolute killer.

I thought that this was the highlight of the weekend, but then Reece came on following Ronnie, and did a fantastic show as well. If you didn't see these two great performers back to back, you missed one of the best features of the whole Dallas show.

Couldn't have asked for better musicianship, from two of the great players in the country. Thanks to both Ronnie and Reece for giving us some great memories from this show.

Dennis
Mike Brinkmeyer

Post by Mike Brinkmeyer »

I picked this CD up at the Dallas show and Holy Smoke . . . what a masterpiece! There is so much music and talent on this CD, both instrumentally and vocally, I felt guilty only paying $15 for it. :D
Great job Ronnie - hope to see you at the Stafford Center here in April.
Roy Davis

Post by Roy Davis »

Mike, my wife bought 3 of Ronnie's CD's and she feels great! I'm sure Ronnie would sell you another one to help you feel better. :lol: It is a great CD!
Joe Naylor

Great CD

Post by Joe Naylor »

Fantastic CD Ronnie!!!

Pally said it and I second it.

I listened to it again today

Great job Ronnie

Joe Haylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Howard Kalish

Post by Howard Kalish »

I'll second and third all the great things everyone has said about this CD and Ronnie's set at the TSG Jamboree. I just ordered my copy, but I got to hear it at the Dallas show. His set with the Pridesmen was superlative. Can't wait to hear Spinning Wheel again.
Duane Brown

Post by Duane Brown »

I just got my copy and I'm blown away. Ronnie always plays so tastefully and what a great group of back up singers.The Pridesmen, Terry Downs and Kenny Vaughn added so much to the mix. They always do a great job at TSGA. Ronnie's a great guy, too. Congratulations on a great project, Ronnie.