My first attempt at recording my steel playing-

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Gall

My first attempt at recording my steel playing-

Post by Joe Gall »

Ok, I've been away from this site for awhile. I singed up, told my story about wanting to learn the pedal steel guitar, losing my vision etc.

Well, I've had my pedal steel for about 8 months now and I have really buckled down and really been putting some time into teaching myself what I can the last 6-8 weeks. More so the past two weeks as I reorganized my music area in my shop and set it up to record directly onto my PC using Audacity software and I've been inspired more now than ever to learn this thing!

Two months ago we found out that we have a local Opry 30 minutes from us. It's called the Florida Sunshine Opry. On Friday nights they have an open mic night and allow people to get up and sing two songs with the house band. Well the pedal steel player for the house band is just amazing and he has inspired me to crack down and practice.

So since we've been going to the Opry every Friday night I've been spending countless hours out in the shop on my steel. On some days I'm spending 6-10 hours a day. This coming Friday, I start taking lessons from the steel player at the Opry a couple of hours before the show so I am quite excited to get some real instruction as up to this point I have had NONE at all!

Well, here is what I have recorded up to this point. Now please remember, I've only been at this for a few months and I'm going blind so cut me some slack. LOL Seriously, I can take feedback, so please feel free to offer ideas and or suggestions.

If you think I should pack my steel up in it's case and put it on Ebay, I've thought about it trust me. If it wasn't for the fact that this has been a lifelong dream of mine to play this instrument and the fact that I don't have anything else to do, I probably would have done just that by now. However, I am determined to hang in there, I just need some feedback and suggestions.

I created a soundcloud account and I used tracks from youtube to play along with. So forgive me as I know the sound quality isn't anything like what you guys do and what you are used to.

www.soundcloud.com

search: joseph gall

Thanks for looking and thanks for the comments/feedback!
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

Can't seem to access it... They want me to sign up for Facebook
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Joe there's something wrong with your link to Sound Cloud. Try it again...
I would be glad to help you in any way I could to help you learn to play steel. You are doing the right thing by taking personal lessons. You will see an improvement in your playing I'm sure.
Good luck and keep practicing all you can.
Billy McCombs

Post by Billy McCombs »

Joe Private Message sent
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

Sorry, not sure why it didn't work. All it is, is a web site soundcloud.com, then in the search you type a person's name. In this case: joseph gall. No need to create an account or anything.
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

I guess this would be the direct link:

http://soundcloud.com/joseph-gall
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

Did the link I posted work? Any feedback from anyone?
Tim Kowalski

Post by Tim Kowalski »

Joe,
The link is working just fine. As you said, no joining anything - just hit the play button.
Your recordings sound good, and you are sounding good on the steel for having played such a short time.
My only critique is that I would reduce or eliminate the delay effect and selectively use a bit of reverb on certain tracks. You are good enough not to cover up your work.
I liked it.
Tim
Bad wine is better than no wine.
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

Tim,

Thank you very much for the feedback! I will do exactly as you say. In fact, I didn't actually intend to use the delay, that was coming through my PA head which I have a send coming into off my Fender amp. Didn't even know any delay was on that channel until you just know mentioned it and sure enough, that channel does in fact have some delay on it. Not anymore!

Leaving now for my first lesson with Brian Goodpaster, the steel player for the house band at the Florida Sunshine Opry! I am incredibly nervous!!!
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

I've received a couple of PM's on my recordings, thank you for the feedback. I am practicing quite a bit. I've taken only two lessons as the FL Sunshine Opry has now closed due to the economy, therefore my lessons have fallen by the wayside as well because this was a halfway point between myself and the teacher. Very unfortunate on several fronts...
Been at this damn thing for a few years now. Not so sure that I'm getting anywhere but it is fun. Sometimes.
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Joe please remember one thing that my "uncle "Joe Miller" told me as a young kid trying to learn the 6 string guitar "never say die" I have kind of let that be my motto for all things that I struggle to do or get or want to do "never say die"

In the masters word God mentions this in a few different ways although I don't think he ever said "never die :-)" he surely said many words that meant the same thing mostly pertaining to living our life for him.

Just keep practicing and don't be afraid to step out and play anytime you get the chance. I do believe that God has given you a gift and I can see a lot of potential in your playing even on the steel which I understand you have not been at very long. There were quite a few licks and phrases that showed that you do have potential to become a better steel player.

I listened to your music and I listened to it in a very serious way asking God to let me like it and find some good words to help encourage you and I hope I have in some small way managed to do that.

Life throws all of us many stumbling blocks in our path and trust me anyone that has lived 30 or 40 years and all points between have already hit some of those blocks but I pray God will give you the will, strength and compassion for learning the steel to "never say die" God Bless and enjoy the very frustrating job of learning to play the steel guitar!!

Big Bob
***Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow***
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

Bob,

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Sincerely,
Joe Gall
Been at this damn thing for a few years now. Not so sure that I'm getting anywhere but it is fun. Sometimes.
Steve Becker

steel lessons

Post by Steve Becker »

Hi Joe,
I've been playing steel professionally for for over 30 yrs. now and I've also given lots of lessons to beginning steel players. I live just down the road from you in Daytona, and would be happy to give you lessons. Email me if you are interested, and we can discuss things.

Regards,

Steve Becker
leavertostever@yahoo.com
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

WILL DO!!!
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

Steve,

Just shot you an E-mail with my cell #. When ever you get a chance please feel free to give me a call...

Thanks,
Joe
Dale Hampton

Post by Dale Hampton »

Joe, I have known two unsighted steel players. One a non pedal player. has now passed away and another plays pedals. Both good friends. Getting instruction from an established player is good advice for any new player. Steel guitar is best played from the heart and by the ears. Good luck, have fun, and do not give up! Dale
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

Thank you for the encouragement.

I've been slacking a bit lately as I did get a bit discouraged for a short time as I keep getting pulled back in to playing bass and or drums with several local musicians. However, that has actually turned out to be a good thing as it has inspired me once again to play both of those instruments to my surprise.

I now play drums at the church that we just joined and that has become a good thing as this church has an excellent, top notch band that is quite known in the area and has a following as they play venues outside their own church etc.

In addition I've met up with another quite popular singer here in the area who has a very large following and he is in the process of putting back together a traditional country band and has asked me to play either drums or bass and we have already been practicing and playing.

So all in all things are looking up and I am now back to playing my recently acquired MSA and I am thrilled with it! Here is my most recent recording and I hope folks will hear some improvements, being able to use the knee levers now with the MSA being high enough etc. sure makes a difference.

As a warning, I am not a singer, that is not my goal, I just like to have fun with that part of it. On this song I added the vocals, steel and harmonica:

http://soundcloud.com/joseph-gall/aint- ... ging-steel
Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Post by Bishop Ronnie P Hall »

Hi Joe! :D (Gall)
For someone who is challenged as I am along with others here on the forum, It sounds like some good stuff being played by you, for your first time out here on the forum. I just want to say keep up the good work. As I often try to encourage others, never give up, never surrender, you are doing a good work my friend, and you`ve got a fan in me. Keep them coming, you`ve got the touch and the talent. Be blessed my friend!
:) Ron