I need some tips for reggae *track added after Neer's post*

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Victoria

I need some tips for reggae *track added after Neer's post*

Post by Ron Victoria »

A songwriter contacted me about adding some lead on his songs. I never played reggae and am not sure if the lap would be right or what tuning to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a reso if that would work better.

thanks, Ron
Last edited by Ron Victoria on 5 Mar 2012 8:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

Ron, one source of inspiration might be the huge cone-shaped splifs they roll in Jamaica. :lol:
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Mike Anderson

Post by Mike Anderson »

Um. Hm. Well, there is a tradition of Jamaican reggae bands playing country classics, quite well established - but they still never used steel. Maybe you could be the first.
Steve Wilson

Post by Steve Wilson »

Hi Ron,
I asked a similar question a few years ago. Maybe this discussion will help. David's idea couldn't hurt, though!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... ght=reggae
Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

Ron,

I recorded this a few years back, apologies for the non-seasonality...but it is a steel lead with a reggae rhythm. Hope this helps....

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/kolblAqr/O_Holy_Night.html

Kay
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

Willie Nelson did a great CD of country tunes done reggae in Jamaica a few years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Countryman-Digipa ... B0009ML1Q6

Wonderful steel playing.

BTW, it's not unusual to hear Conway & Loretta blasting out in the streets of Jamaican country towns, like Sav-la-Mar, on market day.

One of my friends in Treasure Beach, Jamaica, is an elderly Hawaiian guitarist who plays the Flatt & Scruggs song "Before I Met You." Possibly learned years ago from clear-channel Opry broadcasts on WSM.

Andrew Roblin
International Sho-Bud Brotherhood
Member #79
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

thanks for the help.

ron
Gary Reed

Post by Gary Reed »

Jawaiian
Thanks for the idea!
Gary Reed

Post by Gary Reed »

Jawaiian
Thanks for the idea!
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

David Lindley plays reggae style on his various lap steel guitars. Check out any of his solo releases.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Mike Anderson

Post by Mike Anderson »

"Couldn't hurt", eh?

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm

"Research indicates that THC impairs the body's immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems. One study found that marijuana actually inhibited the disease-preventing actions of key immune cells. Another study found that THC increased the risk of developing bacterial infections and tumors.

Several studies have found that children born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy exhibit some problems with neurological development. According to those studies, prenatal marijuana exposure can cause:

Altered responses to visual stimuli
Increased tremulousness
Problems with sustained attention and memory
Poor problem-solving skills."

And so on. Sorry, but well - drugs aren't good for you. Even a toddler knows that, and this hardly seems like the place to promote them.

I know, lighten up, right?
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Ron, have you heard the music yet? Sometimes what someone calls his music and what it actually is can be quite different.

Also, if you're going to do a session, you should probably stick with a tuning you are comfortable with.
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

here's one of his songs, I just picked the first one

http://soundcloud.com/royal-blend-produ ... in-jamaica
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Ron, listen to some David Lindley and El Rayo-X, although on tunes like this, Lindley would usually play guitar, not steel. So maybe that's not the best advice. :lol: No, but his guitar playing is lyrical, as well, so search them out on YouTube.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

I know, lighten up, right?

Or just light up!
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

Mike Anderson wrote:According to those studies, prenatal marijuana exposure can cause:

Increased tremulousness
Mike, my mother is 87, I'm going over there right now and give her a piece of my mind. If I can find it.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

THANK YOU, MIKE ANDERSON.
Orville Johnson

Post by Orville Johnson »

Listening to the track, I'd say play mostly long tones and textures. If you're soloing, find some simple melodic riffs don't just play steel guitar licks. It's pretty repetative so you could create a simple motif and then fill it out some cool steel-guitar-ish harmonies.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

The organ lines on that track sound like a natural for you to play on steel -- I'd go for sustained phrases, don't try to do the "chop".
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

I just did Sublime's Santeria yesterday.The key to authenticity was yelling "toke 'em if ya got 'em" when the song was done lol
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

There is a track called Rock It Baby on Catch A Fire by The Wailers that has a distinctive steel part. It sounds to me like a lap steel. It is played throughout the song but the solo begins at 2:38. It might give you some ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrw6J7Do ... re=related
Paul DiMaggio

Post by Paul DiMaggio »

I believe that would be Wayne Perkins playing slide guitar. Not sure that he ever played steel.
Mike Anderson

Post by Mike Anderson »

David Matzenik wrote:
Mike Anderson wrote:According to those studies, prenatal marijuana exposure can cause:

Increased tremulousness
Mike, my mother is 87, I'm going over there right now and give her a piece of my mind. If I can find it.
As the kids say, I LOL'd. You too, Ron. Dan McGregor, you're welcome. I calls 'em as I sees 'em. Mitch, yep - that's bottleneck guitar on "Rock It Baby". That Willie Nelson album is definitely something I need to hear.

Ganja of course is the curse of Jamaica, why it has (or had recently) the third highest murder rate in the world. I had an interesting cab ride with some young dudes in Negril last year. It was enlightening hearing them brag about their 9-mils and AKs. Anyway nuff said.
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Mike Anderson wrote:"Couldn't hurt", eh?
Actually those studies are pretty much wrong. Marijuana or medical cannabis is a two part plant thc and cbd (all grades are but, medical grade is best).since you're so adept at google now search for cbd. you will,find it has an anti-inflammatory effect, an immuno--modifier (fibromyalgia, arthritis, HIV), pain suppressant and anti-bacterial. they have found effectiveness with various types of cancer (not just appetite modification), seizure disorders, arthritis of varied types, multiple sclerosis, anxiety management, skin applications etc. and that's the short list. as with any medications overdoing it causes problems and it may not be right for everyone. i do not want to get in to a heated battle but, I will say please do not spread this erroneous info. I have never used any drugs or really been much of a drinker. However, as someone who is counting on the legalization of the distilled cbd version as a viable way to treat my disease, the last thing we need is misinformation and more of the drug culture stereotyping. Prenatal ingestion of anything can have issues. The studies you're mentioning, look at who funds them. Pharmaceutical companies do not want cannabis legalized because, it will take away from their market share. They prefer to market their disease modifying biologics that feature as their dominant side effects infection to the point of sepsis and death. I know. I nearly had an arm amputated to do am infection caused by being on those medications. That type of severe side effect does not happen on natural medical grade cannabis. If you take a tincture which is the distilled CBD you're not even ingesting THC. Legalization and medial regulation will largely do away with the crime aspect.

Here you go you can read about one condition's results. happens to be mine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cbd+pso ... =firefox-a
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

Aren't we discussing the use of steel guitar in reggae music? I thought this would be an interesting and unusual topic worthy of some discussion. I like reggae music. I think opinions of marijuana use belong on another forum.