Coat Hanger Pedal Steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jon Blackstone

Coat Hanger Pedal Steel

Post by Jon Blackstone »

I'm posting this here because it relates to the development of the PSG.

I play six-string steels tuned E9(B6), with a very simple pedal, literally made from a coat hanger, that raises the B to a C.

I'd like to compare notes with anybody who's done this kind of thing. I've seen reference to steel guitarists of the 40s and early 50s modding their instruments with coat hangers and bailing wire, and I'd like to find out more specifics about what they were doing.

My 3rd (B) string is hooked by the coat hanger between the nut and the tuner. The only permanent mod to the guitar is an 1/8" hole drilled through the peghead and/or tuner pan.

I often wonder why early PSG developers walked away from string benders like this. Was it driven by the need to raise two strings with one pedal? It's really surprising how smoothly such a simple bender works. It's quick, fluid, always returns to pitch, is dead silent and you can play it in bare feet.

I'm also curious if anybody knows what early "coat hanger" pedal steel players were doing to what sort of tunings. Any Rico Turchetti buffs here?

As far as what good is a single half-step raise, I'll try to briefly explain why I like my tuning and copedent (if you can call it that):

1 F#
2 D#
3 B -->C
4 G#
5 F#
6 E

The tuning is the same (down a half-step) as Chuck Lettes' "Modified C6", but you will no doubt see it as an E9 PSG tuning without the 3 & 4 strings (and the 2 low strings). As with the Lettes setup, you can do all the usual C6 non-pedal techniques, but the pedal opens up a world of other stuff. A I - IV change that sounds a lot like stomping A & B pedals is accomplished by pressing the pedal while moving the bar up one fret. With the pedal down it's now a complete 7th chord (root on string 4), which can be slid up to the V chord, and then slanted from there to another voicing of the root chord. And a number of slants that almost work on a C6 can be brought into tune with the pedal. Another benefit is that it puts C, D and E major triads into a better-sounding range on the neck than they would otherwise be. Of course, it's great for harmonized scales on strings 2,3 & 4, because the the pedal is changing the third. And thanks to the pedal, scales and melodies can be played moving the bar just between two adjacent frets, so some speed can be developed.

Jon Blackstone
Lots of cheap guitars, cheap steel guitars and cheap suits.
Ethan Shaw

Post by Ethan Shaw »

I like it. What are the other parts that you used?
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

I saw this same mod done to a six string Fender in 1970. Only one string but it sounded awesome at the time.
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Red Rhodes said the first one he saw pulled the string with a fish hook, and fishing line tied around the big toe. I guess that is country enough.
Bill Stafford

Coat hangers

Post by Bill Stafford »

I reconfigured my Double neck 8 string Rickenbacker with two straightened out coat hangers two screen door turnbuckles for tuning attached to a Studebaker gas pedal mounted on a plywood board with two holes that the side legs fit in to hold it stable. Had two holes drilled under the two strings. Worked fine.No cabinet drop either.lol
Bill Stafford
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Bud Carter done that using a gas pedal from a car & a coat hanger.I never saw the guitar but I remember him telling me about it.
Dean Parks

Post by Dean Parks »

While I was at Lamb Music in about 2008, Ralph Mooney walked in. I introduced myself, and asked him some questions about a favorite couple of solos of his for Buck Owens; Hello Trouble, and Above and Beyond. I had assumed Fender, but he said those were on a Magnatone 8 string he had modified with pedals. He said, "I love bailing wire!" He mentioned coat hangers as well.
Jon Blackstone

Post by Jon Blackstone »

Dean Parks wrote:While I was at Lamb Music in about 2008, Ralph Mooney walked in. I introduced myself, and asked him some questions about a favorite couple of solos of his for Buck Owens; Hello Trouble, and Above and Beyond. I had assumed Fender, but he said those were on a Magnatone 8 string he had modified with pedals. He said, "I love bailing wire!" He mentioned coat hangers as well.
Wow! That's cool to know that was a player-modified steel!
Bill Stafford wrote:I reconfigured my Double neck 8 string Rickenbacker with two straightened out coat hangers two screen door turnbuckles for tuning attached to a Studebaker gas pedal mounted on a plywood board with two holes that the side legs fit in to hold it stable. Had two holes drilled under the two strings. Worked fine.No cabinet drop either.lol
Bill Stafford
Bill - So was it the equivalent of modern A & B pedals you were adding?

Anyone have pictures of these kinds of things?
Lots of cheap guitars, cheap steel guitars and cheap suits.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I was looking for close up pics of conversions, too! There was one on Bobbby Seymours site but I couldn't find it. It must have sold. Here's a video of Marty Robbins where the steeler plays a converted non pedal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TId2u8DunF0
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Bill Stafford

Steel guitar

Post by Bill Stafford »

Yes, Jon. It pulled the two strings for that change. The pedal stop was the plywood board it was attached to. With pedal depressed adjust the turn buckles to the new pitch. Worked fine and it never broke a string.
Bill Stafford