3/4 parlor acoustic vs weissenborn

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Chris Lackner

3/4 parlor acoustic vs weissenborn

Post by Chris Lackner »

I'd like to learn acoustic steel, but can't commit to spending the $ on an entry level weissenborn at the moment. I was thinking of picking up a cheap used 3/4 parlor size guitar (such as a Baby Taylor, Little Martin LX1/LXM, or Fender Newporter) and trying it with an extension nut. I like the size of these guitars very much.

Is going down this road too much of a compromise to the sound and ease of play? If I am fighting with the instrument it will discourage me from learning. Should I wait and spend the extra for a "weissenborn" shape?

Thank you for any feedback.
Jim Newberry

Post by Jim Newberry »

I'm sort of at the same place, although I might be looking for an old acoustic Oahu or Regal squareneck at some point. Right now, I have one of those Gretsch Americana guitars with the cool scenes printed on them that were selling for about $125 a few years ago (imported from Indonesia). I've got an extension nut on it and have a bone bridge blank coming so I can have a flat bridge. Anyway, it's plenty fun and sounds good when playing that old Dixon Brothers or Darby and Tarlton stuff that I love. If you really want to play Hawaiian music on the acoustic, I'd hold out for a Weissenborn.
"The Masher of Touch and Tone"

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
Tom Grosz

WalMartin

Post by Tom Grosz »

A while back a cousin bought me a First Act guitar from WalMart as a joke. It had high action and would go out of tune any time I fretted a note. I wouldn't give it away because it would discourage anyone from wantin to learn, but I just couldn't bear throwing it out. A few years pass and I realize it has a short scale, and high action. I went to the guitar shop and bought some strings to tune her to B6.
I have no delusions that this is a great guitar, but based off the amount of people that stare at me playing it and commenting about the sound it gets, it's at least worth the $25 for the guitar and strings!
Of course after 8 months the neck is starting to fold.......
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

Lots of people start out on lap style with an old junker or a little better. I have put extension nuts on all sorts of guitars old and new from a '60s Sears SilverTone to a new Washburn Rover travel guitar and a few more in between.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

As long as the tone isn't so bad as to be discouraging, I say Go For It. HTH.
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Dan Schwartz

Post by Dan Schwartz »

I got a ton of mileage from an old Oahu square neck a few years back. It seems there are always some on ebay for pretty cheap. I paid a little more for mine and bought it from a reputable dealer to know what I was getting. It had pretty sweet tone, but I sure do love playing my Marcio hollownecks now.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I would definitely go the Oahu squareneck route since the basic models can be had pretty cheaply.

You'll be playing an actual lap steel acoustic designed for the job. The squareneck should give you more sustain than a converted parlor job.

But here's the other question: are you talking new on Baby Taylor, Little Martin, etc. ?

Because you may not be that far dollar-wise from an inexpensive weissie copy or better yet, the newer Goldtone Beard squareneck flattop, which is pretty nice.

And I would think you'll be way more stoked to tune up and practice.
Mark
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I don't know if they are still available or not, but I bought a new Weissenborn style guitar a couple of years ago for $99.00
Liz Williams

Post by Liz Williams »

It's funny you should ask. I've got 2 squareneck Oahus and a Gold Tone SM Weissenborn. One of them has to go because I just got a Bear Creek Weissenborn and I have only so much room.

Earlier today, I was playing all three trying to decide, and here's what I've noticed about the difference in sound:

The student Oahu (solid birch, nut extender, aluminum bridge) sounds surprisingly good, if a little boxy and quiet, It's fun to play and a good travel guitar. It sounds like a guitar. These go for around $100 on ebay.

The jumbo Oahu (solid mahogany, nut extender, aluminum bridge) sounds even better. It's deeper and fuller, with more bass. It's a little louder. It's the closest to a Weissenborn sound, I guess. It's also fun to play. These go for $350-$500 on ebay.

The Gold Tone has that shimmery hollowneck sound. It's on the quiet side, although it got a bit louder and had more string separation and warmer treble after I installed a bridge doctor and shimmed up the nut. These sell used for $375-475.

All three guitars have their own distinct vibe and are fun to play. Only the Weissenborn has that shimmer.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. It just depends on what you want to hear and how much you want to spend.