split tuning on c string.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Winwood

split tuning on c string.

Post by James Winwood »

Once again, I turn to the forum...
I can't seem to get a tunable split on my 3rd string (C) on my c6th neck. This would be achieved by using pedal 7 and the 1/2 step lwr knee, giving me a c#. When I engage pedal 7 and then hit my knee lever, it lowers to right between c# and D. I can't get it to tune to C# and still have my B with just the knee lvr. If I tune this change, then when I engage the knee without pedal 7, it drops below a B. I think this is possible on my guitar, I just don't know how to go about getting it. I already see many uses for this change, and would like to save newer knee levers for other changes. Any help or related experiences would be greatly appreciated. I play a Mullen royal precision.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I would call/email Mullen directly and find out how to operate their split tuning feature.

Typically there is a tuner right at the changer finger for string 5 that is used to accomplish this.
Buck Reid

Post by Buck Reid »

James,
try using the split tuner screw to tune the half step lower on the knee lever first. Then engage the 7th pedal and lever and tune the split(C#) with the nylon tuner you would normally use to tune the 3rd string lower. Hope this helps!
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Sorry-Mullen does not have split tuners installed as Emmons does. Carter doesn't either....al Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 26 March 2002 at 10:55 AM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Clark

Post by Larry Clark »

Check out this thread, it may be what you need. http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/002228.html
Buck Reid

Post by Buck Reid »

Sorry James,thought they had split tuners. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Buck Reid on 27 March 2002 at 05:05 AM.]</p></FONT>
James Winwood

Post by James Winwood »

Wish I had a split tuner on this thing. Oh well. I'm going to call mullen guitars and talk to them about this. I wonder why this wasn't put into the guitar in the first place. Thanks for the help though guys.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

James,

Simply add a second rod to your lower bellcrank on the C to B pull. Put it through a raise hole.

Now tune the normal lower tuner for the split note. That is, with pedal 7 AND the C to B lever engaged tune the split note (C#) with the "lower" tuner.

Then, engage just the C to B lever and tune the "raise" rod (that you installed) so the B note is in tune.

God bless you with your attempts,

carl