Whose problem is this???

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Swindle

Post by John Swindle »

Think of how often people here mention the great service they've gotten from some vendor or builder. Seems to me that kind of advertising just can't be bought. I can't imagine why an instrument builder or online merchant wouldn't jump at the chance to gain an endorsement like the ones I just read in this thread, targeted at exactly the people who are likely to buy from them in the future. I agree with some of the others here, who think the builder and the merchant should be named publicly.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Bent Romnes wrote:Ed Fulawka custom fits the guitar to the player by measuring to the top of the knees when the player is seated, and then fits the legs and rods to this measurement. I am hoping to adopt this method in my builds.

For the person who orders a guitar before it is built, I will ask him or her for the knee height and then, with the help of leg-makers like Don Burrows, unique leg length is no problem and very little extra cost for the builder.
Not to mention that Fulawka's are puuurrrrdy. :)
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Lane Gray wrote:Not meaning to nitpick a point, but trimming the rod and cutting threads onto the shorter rod isn't the jury-rigged solution, that's the "do it the right way" solution.
:) Lane, in as friendly a manner as possible, I'd agree...but only as long as we're talking about an older, cheaper, or second-hand guitar. An expensive new guitar should not require you to dig out the hacksaw, files, and a set of dies to make it an inch or two higher, or lower.

Maybe I'm alone on this? Maybe I'm the only one who sees it as a needless "deficiency" in a mostly refined mechanical instrument? :eek:

In that case
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Actually Donny, I agree with you.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

For a new guitar costing multithousands? Still the right way to do it, but the builder should do it before it goes in the case.
In this case, shame on dealer and manufacturer for not inquiring at least "standard height?"
I agree with previous poster that said there should be a box on new guitar order forms for "floor to top-of-thigh" and customer should supply a number
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects