Mastering Software T-Racks3S

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Prior

Mastering Software T-Racks3S

Post by Tony Prior »

Over the holidays I acquired T-Racks3S, which is a Mastering Suite containing 4 processors, the Deluxe package contains 9 processors. This package can run under the DAW or standalone.

The S version allows for using 1 or up to all 4 processors, Compressor, EQ, Limiter and Clipper, each fully functional and variable...

I also acquired the T-racks3 book on mastering by Bobby Owsinski .

here's what I have to say on the subject

Holy Moly...night and day ..goodnight...Geesh..
all that...

so far I have run two songs which I have completed thru the package using only one of the presets...It's like the Sun is out or it's not...I consider the mixes to have been pretty good, nice overall tones with accurate EQ roll off and settings...

What I do is get the two track DAW mix as good as I can, then feed that into the Mastering Suite...what I presumed to be a pretty nice two track turns out to be an amazing final track mastered, even with using one of the presets...

I was able to get the $199 package for $149 and was upset because MF had it on some sort of sale last year for under $99...

Those of you that are tracking and finalizing home projects, this would be a great addition for your home studio, along with the Owsinski book...

This morning I spent a bit of time studying each processor independently while reading, I imagine now that the next track will come out even better as I use the presets as a starting point and become more familiar with each module in the chain. Reading how things work while actually making the changes is quite the education...

t

Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Hey Tony, I've been wanting to check T-Racks out and after a Google search I came up with the deluxe version for Mac for 99.00 bucks here:

http://www.greatsoft4mac.com/products/T ... ac%5D.html

I haven't read far enough along to see if that comes in the PC version as well, but I would want it for Mac anyway.

I'm going to pull the trigger after I read a bit more about the deluxe version. Thanks for the post and rekindling my thoughts about T-Racks :-) I just hope this is the real deal.

Big Bob
***Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow***
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Hey Bob, the packaging for the version I have states for MAC and PC...

$99 ! Grab it. When I was looking $149 was the best deal I found. I don't know if the have a separate version for MAC vs PC...

This is a pretty intense little package I would say...

t

Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Well Tony, it's on my HD as I type. It was 99.00 bucks due to it being an electronic download version ie no box or disks. It is a PC and Mac version you can install both if you want.

I played around with it until I got sleepy and am working with it now. So far my impression is just as yours. I love the Fairchild 670 and the Pultec EQP-1A if I didn't know better I would swear the analog units were setting on my console :-)

Of course it has more features than I will ever need but for 99.00 bucks I just couldn't resist. Shoot a big music tycoon such as I keeps 99.00 bucks right in his credit card at all times unless he's over the limit and in that case he sneaks his wife's card out while she's sleeping LOL!!

Thanks again for the post and I'll post back when I've had chance to play with all 9 different effect modules.

Bob
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've been looking at the "mastering" software. I almost bought one earlier in the week as it was the "stupid deal of the day", but it wasn't the one Y'all have.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Jack I was told they had the 3S version, which I bought for $149 on the Stupid Deal for $49 sometime last year...

Bob, 4 processors is plenty and you are right when the rack panel is full screen it's very kool..

t no regrets, I got plenty of great deals last year...

Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Bob, in the link you provided above, are you saying it gives one the choice for Mac or PC , with the download after purchase ?

I couldnt see anywhere in the link where it said anything about PC versions.

Thanks Bob
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Hi Richard, what I was meaning by saying it working on a Mac or PC is that it gives you the choice to install either of 3 different plug-in versions either AU, VST, RTAS plug-in and you can use them on either a PC as a plug-in or on a Mac as a plugin or pro-tools as a plug-in but I believe it to be correct that you would need an Intel Mac to do so. But I believe the only way to use the stand alone version of the software I bought is on an Intel Mac or a Power PC Mac G4 or later.

But as a Caveat Emptor I will copy their exact product info for all to read so that I do not mislead anyone into buying some software they can't use. If after reading their explanation if you still are not sure I would email the company and ask them before purchasing because I had to agree with a EULA stating no refunds it did mention that in the case of a bad download they would supply me with fresh download links.

So here it is:

T-RackS 3 Deluxe [Mac]

Beyond Mastering
High-End Mastering & Mixing Suite
The new T-RackS 3 raises the bar again in high-end DAW mastering and mixing, with a suite of 9 analog modeled and digital Dynamics/EQ processors, full metering suite, an audio quality that is unmatched in software, and scores of new and unique features. All processors and metering module can be combined within the plug-in/standalone suite or are also available as individual plug-ins for more convenient mixing within your DAW, for a truly complete bundle of 12 superior sounding tools (10 individual plug-ins, plug-in suite, standalone suite).

Features of T-RackS 3 Deluxe [Mac]:

1.9 processors comprised of 3 new analog and vintage emulations (including models based on the Fairchild 670 and the Pultec EQP-1A), 2 new digital processors as well the 4 classic, award-winning T-RackS processors

2.New configurable mastering/mixing chain – run up to 12 parallel/series processors

3.New complete built-in metering section with Peak, Perceived Loudness, Phase, and RMS meters, plus a Spectrum analyzer with Peak, RMS and Averaging indicators

4.New standalone and plug-in versions available in the same package for use in all the most popular native DAWs

5.All module processors and metering are also available as individual plug-ins for more convenient mixing within your DAW

6.New high-fidelity oversampling with crystal clear transparency, for high quality audio processing throughout the entire signal path

7.New SCC™ technology coupled with IK’s unique DSM™ technology provides the most realistic software emulation of vintage gear to date

8.Extremely easy to use, with style-based presets, full chain visualization, one-click single module or chain bypass, “compare” function, multiple audio processing in standalone mode and much more

System Requirements:

Power PC based Macintosh®
Minimal: dual 1 GHz G4 processor, 1GB of RAM, Mac OS X 10.4 or later.
Suggested: dual 2 GHz G5 processor, 2 GB of RAM, Mac OS X 10.4 or later.
Supported Plug-in formats: AU, VST, RTAS.

Intel based Macintosh®
Minimal: 1.5 GHz Intel processor, 1 GB of RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.4 or later.
Suggested: 2.3 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.4 or later.
Supported Plug-in formats: AU, VST, RTAS.

Sorry for the long post but being that I posted the link I felt it my duty to try to clarify what systems it would work on.

bob
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Bob, hay thanks so much for the reply here. I think it would be the buyers job to make sure the software is compatible with ones PC. I will e mail the Co. to see if it will work with non MAC PC,s
I just thought you might know off hand,,,& thanks so much.
Scott Denniston

Post by Scott Denniston »

I've been using T-Racks 3 Deluxe on Windows pc with Reaper for quite a while. Three years maybe? I'm finally getting around to really studying the presets instead of just using them as starting points. Anyway, TR3 will really give a mix a great finished shine! I use the single plugins quite a bit on single tracks too. Another IK product I've really come to like is ARC (Advanced Room Correction). It comes with a calibration mic and adjusts what you hear through the master to make up for deficiencies in your mixing environment. I was skeptical but it really does work well. My mixes may not be the very best in the galaxy but at least I hear pretty much exactly in the real world what I heard in my oddly shaped little studio. BTW some become extremely frustrated with the authorization process for IK's software. Once you get through it it's worth the hassle though.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Scott thanks for that, I too must admit that my mixes and probably the music too are far from setting any planetary records but one thing I can say, after learning, listening and making modifications using the presets as a starting point, (Regular 1 and Warm Compression are the two I like the best right now) in the car my tracks ( sonically ) are on par with CD's and downloaded music..in some cases maybe even BETTER !

At least to my ears...

how about that !

t

Scott Denniston

Yep it made mine sound so much better too. I guess I'm at the point of knowing I'd really be lost without those presets to start with so I'm actually charting them all out and seeing the similarities and what makes one setting so drastically different from another. When you're working with a single module it's likely going to be a different setting (for the same type of effect) than when you have it in a chain with previous modules affecting it. I think they must have had some very seasoned engineers setting these up.
As far as the car speakers go, I really notice a big difference with ARC. I always had mixes that sounded great in my room and then boomy or boxy in the car or even the living room stereo. Then I learned about standing waves and how bass waves come back off the wall and cancel themselves out...so you crank in more lows when they're not needed. I've read some engineers poopooing this room correction stuff but then they've got their finely tuned megabuck mixing/mastering environments. The main thing for me is getting what I'm hearing in there to translate properly everywhere else. Some rooms can be physically treated with bass traps & such only so much.
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Scott, from the way it sounds, T Racks 3, will work with PC Windows 7 ??
I have e mailed the supplier here, but have had no responce :(
Scott Denniston

Oh sure. And it always has. IK Multimedia is BIG and has brought out some very nice products. If you're lucky you'll hit one of their special deals.T-Racks 3 Deluxe, ARC, Amplitube (a fine line of amp simulators)etc...it's all great stuff and works on WIN and MAC and some say Linux. You have a choice when you download. I started out with the original T-Racks24 several years ago. The only problem with it is it makes it way too easy to make things sound GREAT. Then we get lazy and stop learning and just push the "make it sound GREAT" button.
Edited: Jeez I had no idea it had gotten so pricey. I've been upgradeing for a nominal fee through the years. Keep in mind though that it's not just for mastering but the modules (emulations of vintage gear modeled by algorythms) can be used separately on tracks for mixing. Here's where you can get it. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/t-racks/features/ You can download and try for I think ten days for free. Warning: If you buy it, the authorization process is a bitch.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Richard, I have the exact same version "S" running on my XP machine as well as a WIN 7 machine...no issues...

requirements on the box state MAC, XP, Vista or later..

t

Scott Denniston

Here's a cheaper source for T-Racks:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/s ... on=t-racks
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Bobs link above is pretty hard to beat at $99 for T Racks 3 Delux. Its download only, but one can simply save it to a DVD :)
Scott Denniston

Wow that is a great deal. $400 off of IK's site price? I don't see a choice for a Windows version there though.
I bet they goofed and really meant TR3 "Singles" not the Delux suite. Here you can get the same deal for the singles but for Windows http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... processors
That would still be a good deal.
Edited: WHOA WHOA!!!! Wait a minute. I just looked at that again. It appears that you buy the singles pack for $99 and you can authorize ONE!, 1, UNO of the units of your choice. The others will only work temporarily until you pay to authorize them one at a time.
I really like the software but beware of the company's marketing method. It's almost as confusing as their authorization process.
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

I think Im gonna just let the T Racks thing slide here. Hearing too much confusing Info. about the $$
Thanks Scott for pointing out about the" single,s "
deal,,I didnt see that :(
Scott Denniston

Sure Richard. If you change your mind, personally I think the full suite is a better deal. Buying it all in one shot you save a bunch over one unit at a time. That link for Musician's Friend you still save $100 over IK's site price. It still ain't cheap though.
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

The link that I posted did let me authorize the complete Deluxe version and it can be used inside your DAW as single plugins or as a complete package in the stand alone mode using the rewire method. But I can't validate it working on a windows only machine as I mentioned before. Look before leaping and good luck :-)

Bob
Scott Denniston

That's one incredible deal Bob! I don't remember what I originally paid several years ago for "T-Racks 24" but it was a bunch more than that. TR 24 was before they were modeling specific vintage gear and it was basically analog tube emulated components and the big deal was it was 24 bit (as digital recording 24 bit was still relatively new. When the upgrades started coming along I never would buy them because they were too steep. But then they would do some "stupid deal of the month" type thing or offer three programs for the price of one and stuff like that. I'm pretty thrilled with what I've ended up with.That said, there is a lot of excellent stuff coming out now that is very reasonably priced and sometimes even free. Here's an example: http://www.stillwellaudio.com/ These you can try and pay on the honor system. Very high quality gear too. Here's more free gear: http://antress.blogspot.com/ I haven't tried the Antress stuff but have been told it's good.
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Scott, my thinking tells me they are getting ready to release a complete new product that will make this one I bought an orphan :-) Over the years I have seen many different companies operate like this.

again I am not saying this is the truth it's just my guess from what I've seen over the years. Competition among software suites like this one are becoming as common as church mice and the competition is fierce. I bought a very high dollar sampling application that Tascam made called Giga Studio and right before the quit making it they were blowing out 500.00 dollar software packages for 49.00 bucks and of course they weren't telling anyone about them not making it any more along with the fact that support stopped at the end of that year.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Bob , good insight but even if it is an orphan it's a great product ! I moved to PT 8 when the rest of the planet went to 9 ! $149 for the full version...

Regardless, here is the book that goes with Tracks3S or D , I am reading slowly and turning the knobs while reading...in a million years, reading alone would not have allowed me to understand and learn the functionality of some of these "knobs" , reading and actively listening and tweaking at the same time is the cure all !

Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Tony, I agree with everything you said!!! I am an orphan myself -) and I feel like I'm still useful :-) Even though they might come up with something "newer and better" in their words I know I will never utilize 5% of what these plugins can do. Even though I got my package for a song it will take me at least 30 days to save up enough to purchase the book you are reading right now but on your advice I intend to.

I know my big time recording days are probably over with but that doesn't mean I don't want to make what ever projects I record sound as good as I can. I should have said my "medium days of recording" are probably over LOL.

bob