Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

Best wishes to you Steiner.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

My thoughts and prayers are still with you Steiner! I hope that the love and support of your world wide friends can bring you some comfort, inspiration, and strength.
Rickey Mitchell

Post by Rickey Mitchell »

Steinar, It's been a few years since I typed solo lap steel players, in the finder on google, and then YouTube, you came up both times. I saw the footage of you doing your clinic and performing your songs from your CD, Southern Moon Northern Lights. Your music was all the inspiration I needed to start playing lap steel after putting it and my music a side To get married and raise a family over 20 years ago.
Another name that came up in google was the steel guitar forum which I immediately found my way to only to find you again as a regular member on this forum, althought there's nothing regular about you and I mean that in a good way.
Since we've had several good conversations mostly where you answered my many questions about lap steels, the pick ups, on them, amps and my favorite Weissenborns. You and your music are and always will be a shinning light for the members of this forum. In my time I read many wise inspring words none more than PLay to Express not Impress. Thank for your word and your music.
I've prayed to God every day since I heard the news, for him to share you with a bit longer. Get well Brother
If you worry more about the tools your building with than what your building, you'll never get anything Built
Rickey (Noel) Mitchell
paddleandflies.com
Brandin

Post by Brandin »

Steinar, we're all hoping for the best. I wish you better health, and more music.

GB
Orville Johnson

Post by Orville Johnson »

Steinar, I'm visualising you at home in your studio, healthy, working on your new CD. I'm going to believe in that, not illness. Love and health to you...oj
Rick Stratton

Post by Rick Stratton »

Steinar,
Sending more positive energy from California-
We're not giving up hope!
Rick
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Hey compadre, stick around. The world is a better place with you in it.
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

Thanks again Mike, for the up dates. More healing thoughts to Steinar.........
www.deluxe34.com lap steel stands, Clinesmith, Gibson Console Grande, Northwesterns, The Best Westerns
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestWesterns
Mike Anderson

Post by Mike Anderson »

Steinar, me and my half-Norwegian wife both send good wishes your way. And you'd better believe a 5' 10" redhead has some serious willpower!
Mike Neer

Steinar's mailing address

Post by Mike Neer »

Here is Steinar's mailing address:

Steinar Gregertsen
Kastellveien 4
4841 Arendal
Norway

At this time Steinar doesn't spend much, if any, time online. Cards and letters would be greatly appreciated.
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

Fight the good fight Steinar!!
Sending healing energy and I will definitely keep a good thought for you.
gary
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Gee Mike, that's terrible news. Really a sad situation.
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Thanks mike, cards are on the way. My thoughts are with you Steinar
Former Member

Post by Former Member »

Mike,
What a great friend and community person you are passing along Steiner's thoughts.
Remember way back at "Slide planet vol 1"!?!....What a cool group of folks there!
Thanks for the address.
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Thanks Mike for keeping us up to date and for the mailing address.

Fred
Alan Hamley

Post by Alan Hamley »

Damn....this is bad news.
Get well soon Steinar.
Cheers
Alan
David Eastwood

Post by David Eastwood »

This breaks my heart.... I've not been a part of this forum for very long, but Steinar's music has touched me in a particular way. As a long-time fan of Hendrix, his 'Standing Next To A Mountain' CD is one of the finest tributes to Jimi I've ever heard. I was listening to it tonight, reading these latest posts, and was moved to tears.

If any of you have not heard this collection, it's available on Amazon, along with his earlier CD, 'Southern Moon, Northern Lights'. I'm not sure how much of the money reaches him, have no idea what his family situation is, or what his needs are, but it's a modest cost to express appreciation for a very fine musician.
Don Fox

Post by Don Fox »

Steinar, I think of you nearly every day when I play "Lizzy", the Asher Electro Hawaiian. Best wishes, my friend. There are so many people here who care about you. Just goes to show how strong the bond of music is to the human soul. You have enriched us. Now get well, and let's hear some more music!
John Subik

update 1/25

Post by John Subik »

I recently got an email from Steinar's nephew. He said that the physical therapy they have started him on has had some positive effect on his shoulder pain, apparently he is able to at least sleep more comfortably than he has in a while.

He is to meet with doctors next week as well, to discuss further treatment.

Here's hoping for more positive news coming out of Norway. I'm sure the support he sees on this board continues to be an inspiration to him.
Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Post by Bishop Ronnie P Hall »

To Steinar,
I am yet doing what I do best. Keep the faith, never give up, never give in, never surrender. There is always the miraculous in HIM! We are with you!
Ron
Mike Nihen

Post by Mike Nihen »

sending only the best to you
Mike Nihen

Post by Mike Nihen »

sending only the best to you
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I just spoke with Steinar again this morning and we had a nice conversation. He said that I caught him on a "good day"--he has been experiencing the usual effects of treatment and he has had no appetite at all, but managed to eat something today. If he can get his appetite back and gain back some of the strength and weight (he's lost 20 kilos), he'll be a step closer to being able to return home. His shoulder pain is diminishing, which is a very good thing. You may recall how much that has plagued him over last few months, and it's what prompted the discovery of the tumors in the first place.

Steinar told me to tell everyone that he is "blown away and overwhelmed" by the outpouring of love and support he's received. He says it brings him to tears and it really does help him to cope. He's feeling the love! I told him it's all real and that we're just giving back what he has already given.

He told me of 2 of his young guitar students who came to visit--they were a bit overwhelmed at the sight of their mentor in his current condition, but he comforted them with his positive outlook and reassured them that he'd live for years to come. So, the teacher teaches his students about life, too.

Steinar has received several cards and letters and they've made him smile. Please keep them coming.

That's all for now.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

That's the good news we need to hear, Steiner, all the best for a full recovery and brilliant future! And thanx Mike for keeping us info'd.