Birmingham, AL - January 19-20, ASGA Jam

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bill Simmons

Birmingham, AL - January 19-20, ASGA Jam

Post by Bill Simmons »

January 19-20, 2007 will be the Alabama Steel Guitar Association's second annual "STEEL GUITAR FESTIVAL" at the Birmingham Sheraton BJCC Hotel, downtown Birmingham, Alabama January 19th and 20th.

MIKE SWEENEY will be doing his informative steel seminar and one of the featured players along with Hall of Fame greats, DON HELMS(Hank Williams fame); HERBY WALLACE; RUSS HICKS; RANDY BEAVERS; BOBBE SEYMOUR;and many more super pickers and singers.

There will be an "EQUIPMENT SWAP MEET" for everyone to bring their musical items to sell and trade.

Saturday night will be the "CLASSIC COUNTRY CONCERT" featuring LANEY HICKS plus several area country singers and bands. Mark your calendar for January 19-20, 2007 here in and watch for further confirmed players and events.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Simmons on 11 December 2006 at 11:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

I'm really looking forward to coming down to Birmingham to be part of this show. The seminar I'll be giving will be 4 hours long. Those interested will need to bring their guitar, amplified headphones, seat, a music stand if possible and an audio recorder. The cost of the seminar will be $50.00 prepaid and $60.00 at the door. This seminar will cover beginner and intermediate players. Email me for more details.

Again, Teresa and I are looking forward to being there.

Mike Sweeney
Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Bill Nan, Belinda, carol, I and the new Carter, and mabe Zane. Looks like another winner to me. We will be in Montgomery for Thanksgiving at Carols, Wen thru Sunday, Pee Wee says come on out to the glass shop and we will pick some.

PS I will bring CDs with the Birmingham pics on them, over 100 shots.

ernie<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ernest Cawby on 17 November 2006 at 10:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Guys, this is a huge step we've taken in just one year! The venue is nothing but 1st Class. Last year we had 300+ members and guests; standing room only. This year we hope to hit the 600+ mark for attendance. Expect to see a host of vendors. From players booths to merchandise. I hope Buck Reid can work it into his schedule to play. Friday will be a big time . After Mike's seminar, we'll take a break for about an hour, then we'll start playing music until about 12: am. If you want to play a slot, start thinking about it. This is the day when anyone that wants to play a slot signs up. We'll probably do a separate thread for the sign up. BUT, we first need to have our final planning meeting.

If you want to check out the hotel, click www.sheraton.com then select the Birmingham Sheraton under location. This should be an easy one to talk the wife into attending. Kirk checked out the beds and said they were big time comfortable. Oh, feather/down pillows.

The show will be in one of the exhibition halls in the convention center. They are attached buildings.

This is going to be quite a show! Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tim Bridges on 19 November 2006 at 04:21 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tim Bridges on 19 November 2006 at 07:41 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tim Bridges on 19 November 2006 at 07:42 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

Looks like another great show is in the works.
Looking foward to it.
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Hey Bill, how are you?
Sounds like a lot of fun, sure wish I could be there to join in. Image

------------------
Fred Justice,
Justice Custom Cases & Cabinets,
Fred's Music, www.fredjusticemusic.com

Jeremy Drawbaugh

Post by Jeremy Drawbaugh »

I LOOK FORWARD TO COMING BACK TO B'HAM. AND SEEING ALL THE GUYS AGAIN. I HAVE PUT IN FOR FRIDAY OFF OF WORK SO I CAN GET THERE EARLY. THE WIFE AND KIDS WILL BE WITH ME. TIM I HOPE YOU HAVE GOT ME DOWN TO PLAY ALREADY, I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT WHAT LINE UP TO PLAY. I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE PREMIER SHOWS TO BE UP THERE WITH DALLAS AND ST. LOUIS, AND ALL THE OTHER TOP OF THE LINE SHOWS.

EVEN IN MY DESPAIR I MUST SAY A BIG ROLL TIDE!

------------------
jdawg
carter d-10
nashville 1000
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Jeremy. I had you down for a slot. The question is whether we schedule you on Saturday. Hope the family gets to join you. Image
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

Just met with Bill Cook last night to review some items and let him know I recieved an email from one of Nashville's finest players who would love to be a part of the show! We have a tentative player's schedule and some time this week we'll post where you can download it.

VENDORS can email us to reserve space and for further information

Earnest, we ALL want to see you and your wonderful family...Fred J., it would be fun to have you join us at one of these shows.

There has been a lot of interest generated about the 'equipment swap meet' and our "Classic Country Concert" where we feature pure country singers with some great steel playing...MARK YOUR CALENDAR...it's building momentum and we're all having fun. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Simmons on 19 November 2006 at 07:43 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ricky Cottle

Post by Ricky Cottle »

Hey "Alabama Gang", Let's get the word out and make this a huge success!!!!!
I can hardly wait to see and hear those fantastic steel guitars and their drivers.
Talk It UP!!!! Let's have some fun!!!
Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ricky Cottle on 13 December 2006 at 08:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

This one is shaping up to be a great one!!! To register for Mike Sweeny's seminar e-mail him at stlplyr@yahoo.com. If you register early you can save a few bucks. I will be posting Hotel info soon. The Sheraton is a very nice Hotel and we will be getting a block of discounted rooms. Stay tuned for more.
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

I'm looking forward to this show. Come on out, listen to some great music, and say hello. Flights are made, hotel reservations made and the anticipation is growing by the second. I'll be there both days, kickin' back, and enjoying myself so come on and join me.

Miss Lana
Jeremy Drawbaugh

hey bill do you know yet what the discounted price will be?

------------------
jdawg
carter d-10
nashville 1000
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Jeremy,

You can call and ask for ASGA (Alabama Steel Guitar Association rates) at the above link. I think that it is $115.00/night, including parking. Rates are based on occupancy (number of rooms we guarantee) and it's difficult to predict that number. We've guaranteed 40 rooms, so if we do twice that much, it gives us alot more negotiating room for next year. We hope to repeat at this location next year and get a better deal for everyone. We really need a big turn out to spring board the next annual event. I live in Birmingham, but I will have a room for Friday and Saturday night; maybe Thursday as well. I hope everyone shows up ready to fellowship in friends and music. As our numbers build, the rates will drop. This is the same way the other big shows got started. If we want this in our own backyard once a year, we need to bite the bullet on the front end. I haven't any doubts that once everyone checks out the facility and rooms, you'll agree it's a fair price.

Ya'll start booking up rooms. Maybe if we have a big enough turnout, they'll give us a break on the rooms. Image

Happy Thanksgiving<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tim Bridges on 23 November 2006 at 10:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Simmons

Post by Bob Simmons »

This looks like another GREAT show -- got room for "old Blue" ?
Bill Hamner

Post by Bill Hamner »

Bob Simmons, You gotta be kidding. We finally got you to come out of hiding (do we owe Bill Simmons for pulling that off?) You are not only invited you are expected to grace us with your presence
bh
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

Bob Simmons has fast become a dear friend since I moved to Birmingham a little over a year ago.

Not only does he build one of the finest (Simmons) steel guitars and is one of the best guitar repairman anywhere, Bob Simmons(no relation) is one terrific player! I'm always prodding him to come and play.

The truth is, I put Bob on the play list about 6 weeks ago and NO he can't escape from playing at the January show! Now get practising Bob!! HA HA.
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

We just got a committment from one of Nashsville's best.This is going to be a super good show. Mark your calendars, January 19th and 20th. Birmingham, Alabama. B-Ham Sheraton Civic Center.
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

Hey guys and gals. Let me know if you want to attend the seminar.

Mike
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

Bill Cook, Tim Bridges, Ricky Cottle and I met and reviewed the details of the show today and what a show it will be!!

We could use some help! If you'd like to help it would be deeply appreciated...just email us and someone will get back to you on the details.

Herby Wallace...Mike Sweeney...Russ and Laney Hicks...Bobby Seymour...Rob Parker and many more will be there. Don't forget the great "Swap Meet" -- bring your steels, amps, effect pedals etc and have a blast trading equipment. Let us know if you are interested and Kirk Hamre will email the details.

Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

How about a lift to the top?
Jeremy Drawbaugh

HEY GUYS, BILL COOK, BILL SIMMONS, TIM I NEED A LITTLE HELP. WHAT IS THE ADDRESS TO THE HOTEL AND THE PHONE NUMBER TO MAKE RESERVATIONS. I CALLED TONIGHT TO MAKE RESERVATION AND THEY ACTED LIKE THE DIDNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE SHOW MAYBE I HAD THE WRONG HOTEL. SHE ALSO WAS TRYING TO PULL A NAME OF OUR GROUP, I GAVE HER ALABAMA STEEL GUITAR ASSOCIATION AND SHE COULD NOT FIND US. JUST NEED A LITTLE HELP SO I CAN GET A ROOM. THANKS GUYS.
LOOKING FORWARD TO GREAT WEEKEND OF STEEL GUITAR.
Jeremy Drawbaugh

^^^^^
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

We will clear this up today. Thanks for the heads up.
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Reservations Department is ready to book your room(s). They had not uploaded the imfo into their system.