need help on whats better for steel.? any suggestions

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wayne Quinn

need help on whats better for steel.? any suggestions

Post by Wayne Quinn »

what would be better,the Space Echo RE20 or a DD3 and RV5 for steel all are made by Boss i use Nashville 400 and Nashville 112 for amps.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I'd go for RV 5 or 7.
In my opinion, a SMALL bit of reverb is essential, a LOT is atrocious, and over the last ten years, delay has been overused the way chorus was in the 80s.
Others will disagree, but I claim possession of the truth because I spoke first. (Hey! look!! A winking smiley!! ;-) It means I'm kidding/teasing) ;-)
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

In my opinion, a SMALL bit of reverb is essential, a LOT is atrocious, and over the last ten years, delay has been overused the way chorus was in the 80s.
Others will disagree, but I claim possession of the truth because I spoke first. (Hey! look!! A winking smiley!! It means I'm kidding/teasing)
Gotta agree with Lane on this one.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

The dual pedal is nice for some things but it's really a different animal. If you can find a used RV-3, it has the basic effects of both the RV-5 and DD-3 in one pedal. Otherwise, I think you would like the dedicated individual units best.
Wayne Quinn

Post by Wayne Quinn »

well coming from 3 well respected forum members here.you made up my mind for me.thanks a heap guys for your advice.i will be giving your suggestions a try.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Hi Wayne, The main three reverb pedals that alot of guys on the froum here talk about are the RV-5, the Holy grail made by electro harmonix and MXR also makes a nice one too. I suggest you go to Long and McQuade in Halifax and the guys there are really good. They will let you try any pedal out that you want and they carry all three of them. Also they have good prices, final suggestion try as many out as you can before youmake a decision and judge with youre own ears becuase its you who is going to have to listen to it the most.
I am going to give this one a try next time I am at the Halifax store
www.long-mcquade.com/products/14111/Gui ... Reverb.htm
and here is another one,
www.long-mcquade.com/products/6335/Guit ... achine.htm
Hope this helps,
Quentin
Peter Coccorese

Post by Peter Coccorese »

Hi. New guy here but my two cents: I've owned three different Behringer devices over the past four years. All of them malfunctioned in less than a year. I stay away from them. TC Electronic stuff has always sounded good AND held up.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

We've had threads about Behringer before. Cheaply made clones of good gear.
I'd buy a tuner...
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Wayne Quinn

Post by Wayne Quinn »

Hey.Peter and Lane this is the great thing about a forum like this it gives you a heads up on the not so good stuff.and i was actually thinking on looking into that make you guys saved me the time and money. .so this is good to know.for this old guy here and thanks for every ones help here.
Edward Byrne

Post by Edward Byrne »

Quentin, to the best of my knowledge, MXR dont make a reverb pedal? I hope im wrong, but if they did then i would be very interested, as i love their build qaulity, its actually a bit of a surprise that they dont make a reverb pedal, i use the Electro Harmonix nano reverb, which i like,
There are no strangers, only friends you have yet to meet
Wayne Quinn

Post by Wayne Quinn »

Hey.Peter and Lane this is the great thing about a forum like this it gives you a heads up on the not so good stuff.and i was actually thinking on looking into that make you guys saved me the time and money. .so this is good to know.for this old guy here and thanks for every ones help here.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Edward Byrne wrote:Quentin, to the best of my knowledge, MXR dont make a reverb pedal? I hope im wrong, but if they did then i would be very interested, as i love their build qaulity, its actually a bit of a surprise that they dont make a reverb pedal, i use the Electro Harmonix nano reverb, which i like,
Yes youre right Edward. I was mixing it up with another reverb pedal that Peewee Cahrles uses.

I know a couple of steelers that use the behringer delay pedal and never had any problems, but thanks for the heads up guys, I am going to stay away from them.

The Electro Harmonics Cathedral Stereo reverb pedal looks really cool too.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... eview.aspx
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

here was the reverb pedal that I mistaken for MXR,
http://www.neunabertechnology.com/gear/ ... reo-reverb
Unfortunately there are no retailers in my area for this pedal but with the great reviews it gets on the steel forum here, ya can't go wrong.