CT. Steel Players

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

ArtPalazzini

CT. Steel Players

Post by ArtPalazzini »

Is there any place that steelers in Ct. gather to meet, yak, have coffe etc. or swap info.? I live in Torrington and think it would be great if this was done. My phone number is 860 482 6326. Call just to say which would be nice also.
Roger Trahan

Post by Roger Trahan »

Art, the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association meets in East Greenwich quarterly. We bring our steels, play and discuss issues members have and we generally try to try to teach each other something each meeting. Feel free to join us at one of our meetings. Just visit the WWW.RISGA.COM Website for more information. God Bless Roger A. Trahan
George Wixon

Post by George Wixon »

Hi Art,
Nice to know another Ct. steel player exists.
I know of about 5 players in the state.
The only club that I know about that has get togethers is as Roger said, the RISGA but other than that, I know of no other clubs that have active meetings, at least not in this state.
If you would like to get together some time, shoot me an email. I'm always willing to meet new players in the area to talk and pick a bit.
George
ArtPalazzini

Post by ArtPalazzini »

Hi George, Would be nice to meet you and gab a bit. Number here is 860 482 6326. Maybe after the holidays we can get together and in the mean time ,round up some other steelers.
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hi Art like Roger and George said the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association is a great organization to join.I'm the Founder and first President, Tony Palmer is the second President,Roger Trahan is the Third President
and now we have a new President Marsha Rodriquis.We have members that come to the meetings from Massachusetts,like the Cape, New Bedfort,Northampton,and other parts of Ma..I go up from down here in Tennessee once in a while for a meeting and I go to all the Steel Shows.You will be able to learn from these guys and they are willing to help you.George is a great guy and he will try to help you.At the Rhode Island meetings everyone sets up their Steels and tune them up. Then we have the meeting and discuss what we are doing and where we are headed and talk about the next Steel Show and when.Then after the meeting we have our Pot luck meal. When everyone is done eating everyone is sitting behind their Steels and we do a Round Robin everyone gets to play.Then we all get to play a song or two of our choice.At the end everyone jams together.It is a great time and a lot of fun. It is worth the trip beleave me.
Sam White

Sam White

Post by Sam White »

OPS
Sam White

------------------
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 16 December 2006 at 06:32 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Hey Art. I recently transfered a VHS tape of one of Bill Hankeys Mass bashes to DVD and I have you playing a complete set. The year was 1993 and I guess you had me sing a couple with you. E-mail me with your mailing address and I'll send you a copy. Imagine 1993 where has the time gone? There were many other tapes by others, but this particular one I brought my own Camera.
ArtPalazzini

Post by ArtPalazzini »

Nice to hear from you joe. those were some great times. I remember you grasiously adding your great voice to the set, MAILING ADDRESS is 49 Dibble St., Torrington, Ct,06790 and e-mail is 49arfer@optonline.net. And Sammy. I will try to get over to the meeting (weather permiting. Keep it country.... Art
Marcia Rodrigues

Post by Marcia Rodrigues »

You are all welcome to come to our next meeting on February 18, 2007. The directions are posted on our website at www.risga.com. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to email me.

Thank-you for continuing to abort the spelling of my name.

RISGA President
Marcia Rodrigues<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Marcia Rodrigues on 17 December 2006 at 11:14 AM.]</p></FONT>
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

Hey pickers up in CT.....I started learning steel guitar while I was living in Bolton, CT in 1970.....I have a very good steel playing friend who lives in CT., Terry Sutton....one of the finest pickers I know. I also knew the late Paul Lambert who was very helpful to me after I got my first pedal steel.....he, also was a great player......If you ever get to hear Terry with the Stone Canyon Band....go and give him a listen......He's definitely one of the top players in New England. HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
2006 Rains w/8 & 5 Chestnut Burl Mica. Rack system with Evans Preamp (LV), DPC1400,Lexicon MPX500, Furman Power Conditioner, 2 Evans Cabs with JBL D-130 15's Modified Evans Preamp (no rack ears), Boss RV5, DD3, Digitech RP50, 2 Hilton Pedals, Walker Seat w/sidekick and backrest, BJS 10 string bar with birthstone. Zookies thumb pick L-30.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Hal Higgins on 17 December 2006 at 11:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Robert Porri

Post by Robert Porri »

Hello Art and George (not to exclude a hello to everyone, but just mentioning you 2 because from what I can see so far you are the only CT guys on the thread).

George and I have been trying to get together and play for 3 years now Image. Time unfortunately flies. If something ever works out for you both and you'd like a 3rd to try to make it, let me know.

George should still have my email.

Bob Porri
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hi Robert I'm from R.I. but I live here in Tennessee right now.??????? You never know what we are going to do from one year to the next??
Sam White<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 19 December 2006 at 05:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

()
Ed Iarusso

Post by Ed Iarusso »

Hi Art. I'd be interested in getting together. Back in the 70's we had many get togethers in Meriden near where Harry Guffy had his store. They were some great times
Bob Maickel

Post by Bob Maickel »

Art you were a member of the PSGA from 1988 until 2001. We have been sending you notices of our annual gatherings in Armonk, NY and Darien and Norwalk CT for the last 18 years. Why have you NEVER attended? You can meet several hundred of your brethern each year at our event. Something doesn't add up. We are there to assist you. You don't have to be a member of PSGA or any other organization.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I spoke with Art at the PSGA show... about 1993 or 94? I believe it was in Darien. I played on the show that year and after my set Art came up and complimented me and we had a nice chat.

I first met Art in the late '80s when I was playing with a band in northwest CT and the Berkshires/Mass. Art was playing with a band in the Torrington area at that time. That was back when every city and town had several venues for live music, and we could play as many nights a week as we wanted to! Those days are long gone.

It's good to see you posting here Art. Are you still playing gigs? I played the Torrington concert series last summer and the summer before. I play about a dozen town concerts in CT each summer. A few clubs too, but those are few and far between nowadays. Mostly I play western Mass clubs and shows. Art, there are a Lot of steel players in CT, and everywhere else. They are hidden in nooks and crannies. We don't see each other much because the local music circuit is dead compared to what it used to be. Fortunately we still have steel shows, steel organizations, and the Steel Guitar Forum to keep in touch. Art do you still have the Remmington? I remember you had a keyless Sierra at one time too.

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site - Instruction
Michael Pierce

Post by Michael Pierce »

Art, I guess you could count me as the 6th PSG player in the state (or at least number five and a half)! I'd love to join you guys if you decide to get together, assuming you don't mind a beginner...
ArtPalazzini

Post by ArtPalazzini »

Where do I begin--- Hello Michael, thanks for your reply, I will contact you somehow to let you know what/when. Hello to you ED, I met you years ago at one of the French Club gigs you were playing .As I remember you are an excellent player and it would be great to see and yak with you again. Hello Bob, Yes I get your cards about the show however the last 2 shows I always in the VA hospital at the time. But so far as the last month or so things are going much better and you can expect to hear from me about re-newing my club status. Thanks for droping by. Hey Doug , My equipment is an Emmons Lashley II, Nash. 1000 ( soon to be replaced with a Peavey VK112 so I can carry it to jobs). Still play sgl/dbl frame 10 with 3/5. I have your phone and will be calling. You have been/still are a good friend. AS I said, I will contact all, probabily thru the Forum, as soon as I talk with Terry Sutton to pick a tome and date to do this get together. Merry Christmas to all.....HO HO HO.. Art
Mike Gross

Post by Mike Gross »

Art,

It is so great to see your name on a post. It seems like years since I was on WSHU on Thursday's nights doing "Swingin' West" and you were out there listening each week.

Merry Christmas buddy!

Mike Gross www.swinginwest.com

ArtPalazzini

Post by ArtPalazzini »

Hello Mike, So nice to hear from you and yes I still tune in every now and then. Love it.... Merry Christmas my friend. Art
Stephen Todd

Post by Stephen Todd »

Hi Art,

I live over in Manchester just east of Hartford. I've been a member of the Rhode Island club for about 5 years now and it's a great organization. In fact I'm the club's membership chairman. I'd like to get together with some local players from CT sometime too. After the holidays this would be a good thing to put together.

Happy Holidays ... Steve
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

At one time there was a Connecticut Steel Guitar Club. I played at one of their get togethers back around 1980. I can't remember much about it, but I believe it was in the Hartford area. It seemed like a small group, and I remember the president of the club came on stage and spoke with me about playing steel, etc. Harry Guffee was there with a display of items for sale. Harry owned a store in Meriden called Steel Guitar Country and he had 75 PSGs in stock! What a place.

Harry put on a couple of larger shows with name players in Meriden, but the show/meeting I'm thinking of was a smaller gathering of the CT Steel Guitar Club. I think I also played at one of their jamborees in Wallingford. I got the impression that the club was not well organized and did not promote itself outside of central CT. I've forgotten most of the details. There's been a lot of water over the dam, or under the bridge, since then!

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site - Instruction <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 25 December 2006 at 09:15 AM.]</p></FONT>