Could hot and cold effect laquer finish ?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Myrick

Could hot and cold effect laquer finish ?

Post by Bill Myrick »

I have been leaving my steel guitar in the vehicle between gigs and suudenly found a bunch of sizeable cracks in the clear coat finish. Been doing that for over two years, no problem, but all at onbce this occurred. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, Bill.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

When extreme temperatures are involved "they" say let it acclimate for an hour before you open the case.
More so in Freezing cold weather as the wood actually warms up faster than the finish expanding and cracking the finish.
That's what "they" say.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Carson Leighton

Post by Carson Leighton »

Never open your case and expose your steel to extreme temperature changes..I have seen first hand what can happen..I have seen the finish ruined on a D-28 Martin when a guy opened up his case after being out in sub-zero temperatures and the finish cracked immediately..It looked like a road map after the warm air hit it...I was the first one to notice it..If you must use your guitar without waiting a long time, just open the case and prop it open just a wee bit,about 1/4", and weit at least a 1/2 hr.. Then open the case all the way and leave the guitar in the case for about another 1/2 hr..Try to get to the gig early, so you can do this.. I have had to this myself many times,,because I live where the winters are pretty cold...Regards,,,Carson
Rusty Pimm

Post by Rusty Pimm »

Coming from the frozen north, I can tell you that yes, sudden temperature changes will have an undesirable and lasting effect on your finish. If the guitar is frozen, a rush of warm air will cause the surface to expand faster than the wood underneath, and it will craze the finish. Further to that, I have left guitars in a storage unit that were exposed to extreme cold, and the lacquer finish was cracked and cloudy. :(
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

I think one way of avoiding cracking would be to finish the guitar with instrument lacquer. This finish is made flexible to prevent cracking when applied to thin-bodied guitars. I believe this also helps on steel bodies, with the temperature changes affecting the body.
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

Bent Romnes wrote:I think one way of avoiding cracking would be to finish the guitar with instrument lacquer. This finish is made flexible to prevent cracking when applied to thin-bodied guitars. I believe this also helps on steel bodies, with the temperature changes affecting the body.
Nope...
"Instrument lacquer" exists in a few subtly different formulations, but it's essentially just basic nitrocellulose finish. Any guitar lacquer will crack when exposed to extremes in temperature, though some are famously more susceptible to it than others.

Many finishes that are generically called lacquer are actually some sort of acrylic or urethane-based finish. They're not necessarily immune to cracking, but they're definitely more resistant.

Bottom line...if your instrument is really cold, don't open the case. If it warms up slowly, it'll probably be fine, but repeated exposure to freezing temperatures is going to cause the finish to crack and craze eventually.
John Allison
Allison Stringed Instruments
Austin, Texas
www.allisonguitars.com
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Nitrocellulose lacquer is an instrument lacquer but it still will crack under extreme temperature changes.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

I never said it was a guarantee against cracking...only that it might help some, which I believe it does.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Bill, if you are referring to the ShoBud LDG that I refinished for you if you can do without it for a couple of months I will refinish it for you. No charge.
Jerry
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

A solid body guitar holds up better than an semi hollow or acoustic. I had a dehumidifyer go down this summer and my Ricko 360 started to check while all my solid body guitars were OK.
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Thanks for the inquirey Jerry but no problem, everything under control, I love my LDG !!! - :)
Tony Williamson

Post by Tony Williamson »

I cant believe nobody told you this, but dont leave it in the car. Its also subject to theft.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Tony,
Good advise!
I left my banjo in an unlocked car, and when I returned there were two of them! :lol:
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Treat them as you would your kids, or at least your pet & bring them inside. Besides, the workout lifting will do ya good ;-)
Tony Williamson

Post by Tony Williamson »

i always tie my dog to the bumper and my kids to the luggage rack on top of the car, but my music stuff gets to ride inside....