Alabama Steel Guitar Association

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

------------------
"The Kid"
D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, Session 500, BJS 7/8" Birthstone, Goodrich LDR<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tyler Hall on 27 February 2006 at 08:12 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tyler Hall on 27 February 2006 at 10:31 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

I thought I should edit out my much harsher opinion. So above is the nicest thing I could think of to say.
------------------
"The Kid"
D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, Session 500, BJS 7/8", Goodrich LDR
Jack Goodson

Post by Jack Goodson »

Bill: I usually dont make a lot of comments on the forum, but martha and myself can personally vouch for the kind of person that mr bill cook is. he spent about 2/hours last night helping us work out some problems we had with our automobile. but if i hear any comments saying anything but good about bill cook.....well , anyway it is like tyler says i cant really write what i really want to say about anyone that thinks different....also by the way, i may reside in georgia, but i am a home grown ALABAMA BOY.........thanks jack and martha
Kenny Brown

Post by Kenny Brown »

Frank and Bob, I went to the show and saw/met plenty of pickers from Alabama, all of whom were very helpful and gracious with their time and advice. I'm really looking forward to further association with ASGA.

Yall missed a good one.

bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

Tim, Tyler don't flip your wig. I was just making an observation. I think in America I can still express my opinion. Hey I had no dought the show would be a hit and I knew Bill would do a great Job. Just a little home work on the Alabama pickers would have revealed a wealth of steel guitar know how, new sounds and music. Some of these guys have been weekend players all their lifes and are not pros, not because they can't, but because they choose not to. hey I hope the club is a big hit

edited for lack of content. Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by bob drawbaugh on 28 February 2006 at 04:07 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Bob, we would love for you to join the club and be a part of "your" club. I would have loved to had played as well. You are so very correct in your assertion that the state has many great, unknown players.

We have discussed plans for future shows. Personally, I am not of the caliber to play with alot of the pickers. BUT, I still want to play. We hope to provide opportunities for everyone to play; regardless of the player level. This was our first show; but not the last! Did we learn alot? Absolutely! Will we make changes as expressed by the membership? Absolutely! Will the shows get even better than this one? As hard as it may seem to top this one, yes!

I hope you will reconsider your assertion that you do not want to be a part of this club. Our goal is to not exclude anyone, any ideas, or to try to be like any other club.

We know that the clubs success will depend on the membership. We don't have all the answers, but we will learn as we progress.

If you were offended by my comments, I must have said something that hit a nerve. My apologies. If you want to speak freely, that is your choice and freedom. That is not your exclusive entitlement.

Tyler Hall is a respectful, young man. I hope that he doesn't have to become "thick skinned". He was most likely responding on the behalf of all the folks that helped put this together.

Bob, I hope you will change your mind and get involved. We need ideas and input! But as you stated, if you make "negative comments" and feel justified in your assumptions, maybe somebody else needs to think about thicker skin. You are soooo right; lighten up. Image
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

I apologize for my earlier comment. I guess I must have mis-interpreted. If I offended anyone, my apologies.
------------------
"The Kid"
D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, Session 500, BJS 7/8, Goodrich LDR
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Back to the real issue. What a marvelous day this was. Bill Cook and the officers and advisors of the ASGA are to be commended for an auspicious start to what will be an organization to be proud of. The ASGA's initial show was head and shoulders above what anyone should have expected from an organization that is still in it's infancy. The ASGA was Bill Cook's dream. Get involved with it and share that dream with him. Way to go, Alabama Gang!
Roger Crawford
President, GaSGA
Advisor, ASGA<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Roger Crawford on 27 February 2006 at 01:48 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

First, allow me to apologize for not being there to support this grand event, but family issues did not allow me to attend.

Second, THANK YOU to everybody that had a hand in making this happen, because ANY TIME we can have ANY good steel guitar players be welcomed with open arms into our state to bless us with their talents, I think it's a win/win situation for all involved.

I look for great things from this association, and with a start like this, the sky's the limit! Image

Blessings,
BigB

------------------
<font color="#10e236b"><font size="4">Prevent Juvenile delinquecy...teach children to STEEL</font>

<font color="#10e236b"><font size="4">Mr. DJ, can you please play a real country song? - Dale Watson</font>

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bryan Knox on 27 February 2006 at 12:29 PM.]</p></FONT>
Harold Parris

Post by Harold Parris »

I had the honor of being at the show Sunday and I thought it was great. Considering the amount of time the club has been going, some people had to burst the butts to get it together. I am looking forward to future events we will be experiencing in Alabama. I had to leave about 2:00 P.M. and really hated to go but my schedule wouldn't let me stay any longer. Great Job Everyone!!!!!!

------------------
EMCI Double 10 Guitar, Nashville 400, Session 400, and Evans FET 500 HiVolt, and Gretsch Nashville Pro Steel Amp, Keith Hilton Digital Sustain pedal and Seymour Duncan KTG -1, Hughes&Kettner BATT
Harold Parris email hparris9@aol.com

Jerry Braswell

Post by Jerry Braswell »

I attended the Alabama show yesterday and had a great time. As we sit back with our eyes closed and view the show in our mind, we can't help but think about how much fun and enjoyment we all had. I have found that the steel guitar has brought together so many music lovers from all walks of life. I like to include myself when I say, the steel guitar family is so nice to be a part of. I got involved in putting together the Northwest Georgia Steel Guitar Show four years ago, I have never enjoyed anything as much. It is a lot of work, as I'm sure Bill will agree, the outcome is wonderful. One person can not do it alone, it takes many to see that the job is well done. It is easy to sit back a say how well it come have been, but a different story to find workers with the desire to make it happen. There is no way I could ever sponsor a steel show without the support and talent of the players from the Atlanta area. I appreciate all the ideas and input that they give me. This is what it is all about, working together building a dream. Alabama has some outstanding players, just what you need to make it happen. I know Bill would appreciate all the help he can get. I'd like to say each one gets easier but it doesn't. The music does the work don't. It was great to see some old friends and make some new ones. Our show will be next February 2007 the Lords willing. I hope to see you at our show and if at all possible maybe we will be able to have Alabama represented on our show. I had a great time and hope to make the next one. Bill, thanks for being a great host. If I can help you let me know.

Jerry Braswell
Northwest Georgia Steel Guitar Show
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

What a wonderful week-end of Steeling, seeing old Friends and making new ones.
We really enjoyed the show and I would like to thank each one that had a hand it making it happen.
Bill and the Officers did an outstanding job and put in alot of time to make this happen for all Steel Guitar lovers.
Wow, what a great job also by the back up musicians, they were outstanding.
Looking foward to the next one.

Jim & Robin

Doc Rickles

Post by Doc Rickles »

Thanks Bill, and to all who had a hand in the Alabama show. I and my wife enjoyed it tremendously.
We were blessed to hear the greatest steel players in the world. I appreciate all the help that the steelers did to help me. I met some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. Thanks Mr Ron Elliot and Mr Bill Simmons for being so helpful to me. Thanks Rob Parker for being so helpful to help Leon Mc. The band was wonderful and 100%
PROFESSIONAL. PROFFESSIONAL MUSICIANS play the same for the good, the bad and the ugly.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

I would like to thank all the fine folks down in Alabama and at the Alabama Steel Guitar Association for allowing me and my family the opportunity for coming down to play, but more importantly to help honor my dear friend, mentor and hero the late Julian Tharpe.

The Alabama Steel Guitar Association got it right by inducting Julian and Don Helms as their first two inductees. Julian also belongs in the International Steel Guitar Hall of Fame as we all know that is long over due. He truly was one of the greatest steel guitarists that has ever lived!

My friend the late Zane Beck used to play a song titled "Stars Fell On Alabama." They truly did, the Stars of the Steel Guitar from Alabama were Julian Tharpe, Jimmy Day, Curly Chalker, and of course Lloyd Green and Don Helms.

I enjoyed my visit with Don Helms and I hadn't seen him for 20 years. Don was an early influence on my playing and he is a very gracious man. We love you Don!

Next, Tyler Hall, I loved your pickin' and your on your way to becoming an Alabama Star too.

I really appreciated the fine backup band and all the other super talent there this weekend. THanks again for allowing this school teacher the chance to be a part of your first show.

May GOD bless each of you and yours!

Terry J. Wood
14 strings + 14 pedals = Steel Fun!
Doc Rickles

Post by Doc Rickles »

This was a historical day for many people.
There were many firsts that took place.We honored Don Helms for all he has done for steelers. We caught a glimpse of how he felt playing for Hank. We set Julian Tharpe into our hall of fame. We even had a horizon award and honored a young steeler more than he has ever been honored. Thank you Jerry Brasswell for your wonderful songs. My wife fell in love with Laney and Russ. If we had given an enthusiam award it would have gone to Tommy Dodd. Thank you Herby Wallace for showing us all how a real pro responds when everything goes wrong. My wife was worn out and I told her I wanted to hear Herby. After we stayed she said He was worth the wait. It was great and we learned many things. The ones who made mistakes know it quicker than anyone else. They don't need to be reminded they will never forget them. They need to be honored, loved and respected just because they are part of this wonderful club we call steelers. Jack Goodson and his wife had more reason to complain than anybody. His wife was locked in and he was locked out. But they still had a wonderful time. I'll bet they're smiling and talking about how great it was. I'll be there next year and it'll be better, we'll make more mistakes thats just the nature of the beast, people and steelguitars. Thank all of you for lettin us be a part of such wonderful precious people.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dr E L Rickles on 27 February 2006 at 05:50 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Hamner

Post by Bill Hamner »

<SMALL>Glad I'm not a member.</SMALL>
Bob, if you are not now a member of a group and find you want join one I hope you are successful in finding one you feel comfortable with and better yet I hope you will reconsider your stand and become a member of the Alabama Steel Guitar Association. If you feel Tim Bridges was a bit testy in his reply to your comments you would better understand had you been there this weekend. After devoting many hours of his time the past few months helping pull all the details together to make this association possible he served some serious "grunt" time this weekend moving guitars and amps for performers, performing numereous task involving lighting,sound and the award ceremony.Had you been there you would also realize Alabama steelers were more involved than you seem to believe.
We all owe a great big "THANK YOU" to our Georgia neighbors who worked so hard in helping get the association up and running and for their part in putting on a fantastic show this weekend.

Congratulations Bill Cook. You and your group of elves pulled off an amazing job getting this association organized and putting on a fantastic openning event. And yes, I noticed our treasurer,Don Lynch,doing quite a bit of "grunt" work himself.

I am not going to attempt to name all the performers but one guy I don't want to neglect is Lynn Owsley.In addition to putting on a masterful and enthusiastic performance during his set Sunday, Alabama boy Lynn,presented quite an informative history lesson on Alabama steelers. Lynn really served as a "spark plug" thru out the day encouraging the audience to recognize
and respond to the talent on stage.He also joined in on Saturday night's little informal jam at the "Guest House".

It is totally fitting that Don Helms and Julian Tharpe are the first inductees into the ASGA Hall of Fame. It was very nice to have Julian's family present for his induction. After a very inspiring performance by Don, Hazel, his wife and soul mate of over 60 years presented one of Don's Console Grande's to the Hank Williams Museum. As is customary she humored Don by allowing him to think it was his idea. Image If you haven't been through the museum you should make it a point to visit. It is an eye opener!
bh
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Hamner on 28 February 2006 at 02:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Elliott

Post by Ron Elliott »

Our sincere heart-felt thanks to the Alabama Steel Guitar Association for letting us be a part of the first Show, and sharing the stage with so many wonderful people and fine musicians. Sorry I'm not from Alabama, but again, thanks to all that made it possible. We are truly greatful, and wish the ASGA a wonderful future. Ron Elliott
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

Alabama Steel Guitar Association,
Kudos to Bill Cook, the staff, friends and volenteers of the ASGA, for a great show...And thank you for allowing me to be a small part of it...
The old saying "raising tobacco is a 13 month a year job", so is producing good steel shows .."a 13 months a year job".Hard work and dedication, and lots of help..
It seems ASGA have the ingredients...You that attended, got to see and hear the results of the hard work..those that couldn't ,or did not attend,missed a great show by some of the best in the business..maybe you can come next time...
Fitting tributes were made to our buddy, the great Julian Tharpe, and to our pal, the legendary Don Helms..
The staff band was great and worked very hard to provide back-up and support for the steelers..Great job guys...
Thanks again to the ASGA and all who had a hand in helping to make this initial show a success...and for sending me an invite...

RP...'come on in'...<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by ROB PARKER on 28 February 2006 at 06:49 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

ASGA, I would like to list the Staff band..some of the best musicians you could have play with you;
Lead guitars, Woody Ledford, and Johnny Thomas...Drums, Jim Hartley, and Roger Crawford...Bass, Wayne Smith..
Sorry if I missed someone...
Thank you guys for your skills and expertise, and for helping to make us sound better...
Kudos to all of you...

RP...'come on in'...
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

I agree with you Mr. Parker, Bill has invested both time and money into this association. Bill is a good man to know and to be around. They don't come no better. Also, a big thanks to Tim Bridges and Larry. They did a great job running the lights and sound. They busted their butts to get the job done, and they did it well! I think the show couldn't have went any better. The backup band was WONDEFUL! I really enjoyed playing with these guys. Also, there were some of the best steel players there that I have ever heard. Every one of them was a top-notch player. Also, steel players are the nicest people around. Every picker there, either local or professional was very approachable and freindly. So now I'm waiting on the next show. Can we have one this weekend? Image
------------------
"The Kid"
D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, Session 500, BJS 7/8", Goodrich LDR<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tyler Hall on 28 February 2006 at 07:15 AM.]</p></FONT>
Herby Wallace

Post by Herby Wallace »

I would first like to say thanks to Bill Cook and everyone associated with the organization and show Sunday for letting me be a part of this great show. I have been doing steel guitar shows all over the country since 1978 and this one was strictly first class in every way. Also, this was one of the best turnouts I have ever seen for a first time show. I don't want to get into an argument about only having players from Alabama, but this never happens on any show I have ever seen or played at. For example, I am going to the Dallas show next week which is one of the largest and best of all shows. It is a Texas steel guitar organization, and features many of the great Texas players, but there are also other players from all over the country. This show has been going on since 1985 and I have played every one.

I will shut up now, but I can't see anything negative about the Alabama show as it was great in every way and I am proud to have been a part of it. Don Helms, who was the highlight of the show, should have played whether he was from Alabama or not.

Herby Wallace

------------------
Ricky Cottle

Post by Ricky Cottle »

February 26,2006!!!
What a blessed day!!!
I think the Lord made steel guitar on the FIRST day. History was made on this first ever steel guitar jam for the ASGA. What an accomplishment and great success. The ASGA was only formed on January 21,2006. A tremendous job and effort for only a month and a half!! Thanks to all who were involved!
We had a great time meeting all of the folks who came to make history with the ASGA. Thanks to everyone who attended and/or supported our first event. If you weren't able to attend, you sure missed a good one. I would like to give a special thanks to all of the musicians in the backup band - probably the least recognized but most important part of a steel guitar show -and they are the greatest. And speaking of Steel Guitar......Ernie Cawby, Roy Gibson, Jack Goodson, Rodger Crawford, Rob Parker, Larry Moore, Don Lynch, Tyler Hall, Bill Simmons, Tommy Dodd, Terry Wood, Don Helms and Chris Malpass, Bill Ferguson, Ron Elliot, Lynn Owsley, Russ and Laney Hicks, and Herby Wallace! What a fantastic lineup. You all did a beautiful job!!If I missed anyone I apologize. Thanks also to Leon Champion and Rob Parker for MCing. There has been a lot of work done behind the scenes to make this show possible and I want everyone to know how much we appreciate your efforts. My hat's off to Tim and Larry for all of the work done with the sound and lighting!!Thanks guys!
I would also like to thank the Hank Williams Museum for their kindness and support, and for renting us the space and providing the snack bar. They also put forth a lot of effort to make this possible.
I can't leave out the GaSGA. They have helped us from the beginning! Thanks from the bottom of my heart! Boundries are nothing more than "unaccomplished goals". Love working with you all!
Thanks doesn't really express what everyone really deserves but I sincerely thank you.
Thanks ASGA Staff and advisory board!Job well done.
Ricky Cottle
Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

This is not a correction but just an addition my close pal; Jack Conyers from Cockron G. help open the 1st set with some of his great playing on that ole Zum.
Bill and all thanks to ALL of you for a great show and southern hospitality. I do not know if this helps or not but Montg. is my home town and I am not a heavy hitter but I played and had a ball, The La. Hayride in 1949 is my claim to fame, while there played with some # 1 recording artist, in cluding the mystery singer promoted by the Hayride on Sat. nite, they had a contest to name him and the winner got a free trip to the Hayride, I did the Promotional backup recordings on steel and his Saturday nite work on the Hayride, he was part of our band.In Texas I had the pleasure of working with Zeke Clements on the Hayride.

ernie
Leon Champion

Post by Leon Champion »

Thanks to Bill Cook For a Great Show! Thanks to All for all the hard work that went to making it a Great Show! I really enjoyed getting to play with Lynn Owlsey on Saturday nite, I was scared as heck! But thanks to Mr Ron Elliott and Mr Bill Simmons for their encouragement to go out and play! I'm looking forward to putting together a spot for myself on a future show. We are both a little worn-out as yet, but, pictures will be sent to email addresses as time allows. I invite all my friends across Alabama to join this Club, it's really a great organization! Gail & I are proud to be associated with ASGA and we'll be happy to work on any future events scheduled. Leon & Gail Champion
p.s. Thanks to Bill Stoud for his support of the ASGA! Hope you can make the next show!
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

My sincere Thanks to all who had a hand in making our first show such a tremendous success. The players, band, ASGA officers & Staff, Advisors and the nicest folks in the steel guitar community/family, the GaSGA. We made a lot of good things happen in a short span.We made many mistakes and probably hurt some feelings which were not intentional. We will do better next time. We need for all steel lovers to join us and help us move forward. We have enough talent and interested people in this great state to have one of the largest Steel Associations in the country. Come join us and help us make this Association something that we all can be proud of. Thanks again for everyone who helped make our first show a success. God Bless, Bill Cook.