Best shoes for playing ( again, im sorry)

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ariel Lobos

Best shoes for playing ( again, im sorry)

Post by Ariel Lobos »

I know this is a recurrent topic but i have to change my moccasins, they are really confortable but expensive because i bought them long ago for a friends wedding .Im playing a sho bud proffesional and an Emmons push pull with differents types of pedals as all we know...any suggestions ?
ShoBud The Professional 72.Emmons PP D10 83. Fender Stringmaster, triple neck. 1927 Weissenborn style 1. Fender Twin Reverb 77. Fender Princeton Reverb 78.
Jeff Metz Jr.

I like to use

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

A pair of Merona Cloyd Slipper Moccasins. Sox-tab patent with plush interior lining and rubber soul. Amazing for pedal steel playing, and can be bought at Target for around 25.00
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Ariel Lobos

Post by Ariel Lobos »

Thanks ! The flexibility of the sole is important , am i right ?
ShoBud The Professional 72.Emmons PP D10 83. Fender Stringmaster, triple neck. 1927 Weissenborn style 1. Fender Twin Reverb 77. Fender Princeton Reverb 78.
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

definitely in martial arts. foot grip as well as control when kicking. seems like no-brainer to use them for pedal steel
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

I don't like flexible sole shoes for playing steel. My favorite shoes for playing PSG are race car shoes. They are designed for working the pedals of a race car so function prevails over fashion.

The soles are fairly stiff and they are just big enough for my foot. There is nothing extending beyond my toes and the side of my foot, so there's less chance of getting tangled in the pedals. I find I have far fewer pedal mishaps, which means my playing is more consistent. Also, the rubber soles have a lot of traction so my foot doesn't slip on the pedals, like with leather sole shoes or boots.

They may look a little funny, but I'm too old to care. If I play good, people seem to forgive my dreadful sense of fashion.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

I agree with Paul. These are what I use. The only drawback is they get hot because they are designed to deflect heat.

http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-highto ... uctid=1017
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Well at least I didn't buy the red ones!!
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Well, to each his or her own. The ideal footwear on steel for me is none. I found that this isn't always "appropriate," and even dangerous: forget the broken glass and unidentified sticky substances on some bandstands--there was the night an inebriated young woman tried (and partially succeeded) to paint my toenails while playing. :whoa:I kid you not. I wear boots or running shoes now.

Dan
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Loafers or mocassins fer myslef ;-)
Ariel Lobos

Post by Ariel Lobos »

Wow those red ones are really cool !!!
Adam Sorber

Post by Adam Sorber »

I wear Etnies skateboarding sneakers.
Adam Sorber
Sho Bud PROII custom D-10
Sho Bud PROII custom SD-10
Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb
Tom Grosz

Post by Tom Grosz »

My favorite pedaling footwear are my soft-soled (crepe?) Minnetonka moccasins.

Another option for me are a set of Tom's. They are fairly snug on my foot and have a tad sturdier sole than my moc's. If you haven't heard of Tom's shoes, their business premise is donating 1 pair of shoes to children in need for every pair you buy.

I wear my shoes to the death, so when I calculate a cost per wear of even $50 shoes, it is very small!
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Ballet Slippers!

Don't laugh! They're the next best thing to playing in socks. Just fold them up and cram them into a corner of the pack-a-seat.

"Personal preference" trumps everything so whether it's ballet slippers or lineman's boots they all work.

Richard
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

man i have seen tommy dodd play bare foot!!! ;-)
Ben Feher

Post by Ben Feher »

I'm looking at latin dance shoes. High cowboy boot like heel, thin leather sole, low cut and snug fit.

I don't like the extra sole of street shoes, it gets in the way. And moccosins are not snug enough, my foot feels like is slopping around in them. Cowboy boots have a higher heel that seems like it would make everything more comfortable, my calves get very tired/cramp up from holding my foot up sometimes, but the high tops look like they would impare ankle movement for rocking on/off pedals. Dance shoes look like they cover all the bases.

Some dance shoes are available in wingtip too. Just sayin'
Brian Herder

Post by Brian Herder »

Obviously people's results vary, but I play in whatever I am wearing. PF Flyers to cowboy boots (the heals do make for a tighter fit under the steel). There are enough special requirements for this instrument already without worrying about my shoes.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I just wear whatever I have on. Its no big deal. Mud caked Snow boots are a hassle though.
Bob
Ben Feher

Post by Ben Feher »

Ken Metcalf wrote:Image
You know I have been wondering how you hold 3 pedals at once...
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

I always make sure my shoes can bust into some breakdancing moves on my break. I got do something while they're playing that disco crap.. I guess that's why they call it breakdancing?

PS. This was supposed to de a dancing Gif.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

For more formal affairs..

https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Oh Ken... I want some. :lol:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."