Alabama Steel Guitar Association

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Laney, If you got those KISSES from Bill Ferguson, who said they were really for Russ, You gave me a Handful and said they were for my wife Cathy, I gave the KISSES to Cathy and said they were for her, but, were given to me from Laney, and I took back the KISSES from Cathy and ate them up!! Where does that leave me?? I don't think I like the situation I got myself in!!
Tyler a/k/a "THE KID" Have you spoken to Larry Moore about your HOT SPOT SLOT?? Like Laney and I said, Larry is a pretty good ole boy. He might just help you out .You might need to discuss your situation with your mentor, Bill Simmons. I am sure he will have some good advise for you.
Bill
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Now don't you two going blaming me for "kissing" anybody. I just know what chocolate does to Russ.

Bill
Laney Hicks

Post by Laney Hicks »

Hey, Tyler, I guess you know where all these crazy "posts" could REALLY land you on the 26th...in the same kind of "hot spot" Russ found himself in this past weekend in Atlanta where all your peers and mentors come and stand over you with their hands crossed as if to say, "how 'bout a little pressure?" Part of the great fun about these shows is the "not knowing what could happen next" feature which is always lurking among musicians!!! We,like you, are honored to be a part of this first of many, many Alabama Jams, and we sure do look forward to your set. (I'll try to keep Russ in his seat for you, though, instead of looking over your shoulder! these boys, these boys....... Image )

Laney
Laney Hicks

Post by Laney Hicks »

Bill, you're right, KISSES do tend to mellow Russ, which is a good thing, so, you see, we ALL owe it to you for having started a whole series of "good things" in Atlanta!
(just goes to show you, this bunch will carry on about absolutely any kind of foolishness! But,"ain't we havin' us a good time" to quote my favorite singer!!!)

Laney
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

I ain't sure where I stand with all the KISSES going every which way!!But, as Laney said, KISSES, are a GOOD thing. Think we better leave it at that.
Bill
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

Tyler, I'm wondering why Bill Simmons lays so quietly at his monitor; what is he up to? The only contact I've had with Bill over the last week was a golf joke. It was a very good one! I think his mind is acclamating to the show. The prankster side of Bill is warming up.

First of all Tyler, no one is immune to these antics; it just happens. You won't and you can't be prepared. Some are more vulnerable than others. The one thing you can count on, it'll happen slowly, building up with a great crescendo!

Can't wait til' show time. Image
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Tim, Ditto those remarks. Tyler is still sitting on the HOT SPOT SLOT. He has made no attempt that I am aware of to get himself out of the HOT SPOT SLOT. Where is his mentor?? Does he not know what this can lead too?
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

Boy, I'm getting scared!!! Image I'd rather play the "HOT SPOT" than no slot at all, but no, I really don't want to play first! I'm always getting picked on, when you play as bad as I do that always happens.

I get the feeling I'm going to get harrased while "TRYING" to play my set. So, maybe if I play enough slow music I can put all you pranksters to sleep! Image By the way, how complex do my number charts need to be? I'm not playing anything that a good band can't follow or hear. Could I write a number chart for the bass only, and let the rest feel their way? Help me out here.

"The Kid"
D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, Session 500, Goodrich LDR
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

What do I have to do to get off the "Hot Spot"? I want to play, but not first, if I can help it.

"The Kid"
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Tyler...look at it this way. You'll have your set over and can be at ease the rest of the day! It will keep some of the jokesters from having enough time to think up something to do to you.
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Tyler,
Have you communicated with Larry Moore and your Mentor? If so follow their advice. You have made one major move to get off the HOT SPOT SLOT, You have requested not to be there.WOW, at least that's a start. I strongly advise talking to Larry Moore, Bill Simmons and Roger Crawford. I would also suggest you talk to our First Lady, who, by the way, carries a large amount of influence in the Association. One word from her and you are off the HOT SPOT SLOT.Do you need any more advice?
Bill<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Cook on 13 February 2006 at 06:49 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Cook on 20 February 2006 at 07:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

Dear First Lady,

I talked to Mr. Cook about getting me off the "Hot Spot," but he said yo were the only one with the power to do so. BTW, I haven't told you what a nice, sweet, great-singing, etc... lady you are! Image

I would like to be a little further back in the show. I would kinda like to play before or after Bill Simmons. I'm supposed to pick lead for him on his set, and if I played around him, I'd only have to set-up once.
Please take all this into consideration, and remeber all the good things I said about you! Image You would make one young steel picker happy if you could get me moved back.

"The Kid"
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

It's gettin' deep, better roll your britches legs up!
Laney Hicks

Post by Laney Hicks »

Young Tyler,

I'm thinking.....

(it isn't everyday that a "girl singer" in THIS PARTICULAR BUSINESS actually gets to exercise POWER and I'd like to float around in it for awhile)

First Lady
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

Just got off the phone from the "Kid"! I've been real busy the last week and just now catching up on the forum. The "Kid" said I needed to help him regarding his playing time slot. I told him I will appeal to the goodness, fairness, and mercy of Judge Laney Hicks heart to let him play before my slot since he will be playing electric for me.

My slot is somewhere in the middle to give the regular band a break as I'm using traxs. With this in mind, Judge Laney, could you take it easy on my little buddy and place his playing slot before me? On behalf of Tyler - The "Kid" I plead for your mercy!!

There Tyler...I have pleaded your case to the high courts of the Alabama Steel Guitar Association with Judge Laney presiding. Now, you must wait for the verdict...it is out of my hands...justice will now have to take its course which is totally in the hands of Judge Laney. Now you must wait and pray.
--------------------------------------------
RAINS SD-10, 4+5; '68 EMMONS D-10, 8+6, '76 SHO BUD LDG; '78 Session 400

Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Young Tyler,
That was a pretty poor excuse of buttering up our First Lady. Don't you think she has heard those same old tired words before? Joe wright could do better than that in his sleep, and I have heard he can lay it on thick and heavy. No wonder Miss Laney is basking in her power!! Son, you need some help from some silver tongue devils. That one little sentence probably ain't gonna make much way with our First Lady. I would do some serious thinking and try again. She just might be more receptive in interveneing in your HOT SPOT SLOT dilema, if kinder and more complementary words are delivered. TRY AGAIN!!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

.....along with an order for every CD she has available!
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

I hope Laney excercises HER POWER as she sees fit. Come on...a bail out??? If she rules against the move from POSITION 1, I'll help with your settin' up. I'm just trying to be helpful Tyler; that's all. Image
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

As I stated Tyler I pled your case the best I knew how by asking for mercy -- now, your fate rests soley in the hands of Judge Laney Hicks...I fear for you as rumor has it she is tougher than TV's Judge Judy and Judge Laney Hicks shows little to no mercy to young steel players...I quess you will have to wait in fear for the verdict.

Our prayers are that you will survive this tough Alabama Steel Guitar Association Judge but again...ONLY TIME WILL TELL!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Simmons on 15 February 2006 at 02:20 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Simmons on 15 February 2006 at 02:24 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Simmons on 15 February 2006 at 08:03 PM.]</p></FONT>
Leon Champion

Post by Leon Champion »

Hey Tyler,
I've known Judge Laney since she was 9 years old; and as one of the MC's of the show,I could plead your case for you...But since you use a Dunlop Bar instead of a BJS, I'm not gonna'!
p.s.
I'll have BJS pamplets at the show.
Your Buddy,
Leon
Bill Hamner

Post by Bill Hamner »

Tyler,
You have reason enough to be a "NO SHOW" but I know we can count on you to kick this thing off in fine fashion. One word of caution...I believe Bridges would throw you in the tank without thinking twice! Image
bh
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE Ms. Laney!!!! I throw myself upon your mercy! You don't want me to play early in the morning, you don't even want to SEE me early in the morning! Image

Don't let Bill fool you, you've got ALL the power of the ASGA. That's why I went to the (First) Lady in Charge! I know as sweet as you are, you will have mercy on a poor, run-down steel picker like me!!!

PPPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!! I'm not too proud to beg!
------------
"The Kid"
D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, Session 500, Goodrich LDR<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tyler Hall on 16 February 2006 at 09:15 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

All I have to say is with "friends" like Tim and Leon, who needs enemys? Image

Tim, I appreciate your overwhelming effort to get me off the "Hot Spot". Just remember, your day's coming. Image

Leon, I'm just too cheap to buy another bar, so I'll stick to my trusty old, beat-up, scratched and dented Dunlop.

Thanks to everyone for the support! Image
------------
"The Kid"
Laney Hicks

Post by Laney Hicks »

Boys, boys, boys, your're all making this much more complicated than it has to be!
You keep tossing things around like PRACTICALITIES, (Bill Simmons, who I regard highly and call my friend, makes the point that Tyler should play in front of him since they'll be playing together on Bill's show)
and, POOR BUSINESS RELATIONSHIPS, (Leon Champion is indeed a long, longtime friend and fellow bandmate of mine and it's true that it would be nice for ya'll to do business together...maybe Leon could make you an incredible deal on a new bar Image )
But, there is of course only one way for any legitimate woman judge whose really worth her salts to arrive at her decision about this thing. And, so, I have only one question for you, young Tyler, and then I will speedily submit my "vote" to our Supreme Leader, Mr. Cook, for his careful consideration in this matter.

WHAT DIDST THOU, TYLER, DO FOR YOUR SWEETHEART/ OR MOTHER FOR VALENTINE'S DAY?

First Lady
Laney Hicks

Post by Laney Hicks »

P.S. Tyler, here's a hint:
amounts of money spent hold no water here.

Laney