Identify Rickenbacher

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Robert Moeckly

Identify Rickenbacher

Post by Robert Moeckly »

Is anyone able to identify the Rickenbacker? The photo is not good, but maybe someone can identify it for me.
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

SW-8...

Robert Moeckly

Thank you!

Post by Robert Moeckly »

Fantastic. Now I need to determine a price. It is in perfect shape with original case. I am guessing it is from the late 50's vintage
b0b

Post by b0b »

I have one from mid-60s but it doesn't have the head cover. It's red. I think I paid about $400 for it. Great sounding instrument.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Late 50s or even into the 60s.(?) The frypan pictured in the catalog has a black fretboard, and not cast-in frets, which is toward the last of the frypans sold.
Robert Moeckly

Thanks!

Post by Robert Moeckly »

Thanks to all!
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

i have the 6 string, 1st version (1953-4) which didnt have the big chrome control plate like yours - i paid $400 for mine in exc cond - wonderful RICK sound.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

Catalog page is circa 1955-56. The A-22 shown is the so-called "reissue Frypan".
The OP's guitar is an eight string, count the tuner buttons and strings.
b0b, if your red one is a six string it's part of the later 100 series and it never had a headstock cover...

Above is Rickenbacker's last steel guitar catalog that they used throughout the 1960's.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Right. Mine wasn't made with a head cover. It's appearently a Model 100. The great tone is due to routing the strings through the body at the bridge end, and of course the horseshoe magnet pickup.

I also have a 780 Console pedal steel, as pictured above. It doesn't sound as good as the lap steel, IMHO.
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

I always assumed those 50's + pickups were faux horseshoe. They do sound good and Ricky.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Ron Whitfield

Who's the mystery lady?

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Is this Lovey Lui?

I have the real/full photo and have always wanted to confirm her identity. It's from a photo shoot that included other prominent Hawaiian steelers promoting Rickenbacker steels.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Jerome Hawkes wrote:I always assumed those 50's + pickups were faux horseshoe. They do sound good and Ricky.
Not faux at all. My first lap steel was the same model. I shipped it via Greyhound round about 1972 and they broke the horseshoe piece. The pickup was useless without it. No output. It's a magnet all right, not just a hand rest.