Who will be the next Buddy Emmons

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

NUFF said...wow..... :!:
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Preach on there brother Mike!!
You said a mouthful there my friend.
Ron
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Just today I found an old VHS tape of Buddy at Dallas convention probably around 1986 or 87. I rounded up a VHS player and put it on the big screen. I was in total awe of the mastery of Buddy. His mistakes sound better than most folks good notes. I'm really grateful back then that you were allowed to tape shows and I was able to capture this piece of steel guitar history. It actually brought tears to my eyes, good tears I might add.you know, the kind when you really get turned on by music. Will there ever be another Buddy, that's a difinite no!
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jelle Biel

""love your style of playing""

Post by Jelle Biel »

Mike Cass ,, well said
We (the guys from holland)love your 'style of playing',,,,, literally and figuratively !;-)

http://youtu.be/6ilJ3EwQuK4 'Feel So GOOD'

Have a GOOD DAY & a GOOD YEAR

The DutchBoys
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Cassie-Pooh, you said in much better words what I wanted to say, I just don't express
myself as well as you do. I have many other steel players that I love listening to. But everyone of them will tell you that Buddy is their favorite and their ispiration with the exception of a couple whos egos are a bit large.
Coxface
PS, Buddy gave me that handle in 1973.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Kenny Martin

Post by Kenny Martin »

Yes, there will never be another Buddy Emmons for me but i would like to propose this:

For the up and coming players that know who Buddy Emmons is and has done but didn't grow up chasing his licks, the way he plays and being absolutly amazed at what he has done, is there another Buddy Emmons that they feel will never be another today?

I think todays "Buddy Emmons" are Tommy White and Paul Franklin. Scream at me if you want but these two guys set the standard and also have contributed so much in keeping the highest level of talent and integrity with steel guitar in the world today.
I strive to not so much play what these guys play but to put the emotion in the phrasings they have acheived. When Buddy, Tommy and Paul play, i listen but more over i feel the emotion in a single note played by them. It's like they want you to hear the heart, not just the note!

I guess for me it's what i feel. I can't speak for Tommy or Paul and i surely couldn't carry either one of their steel cases, but their respect for the "Big E" probably is well beyond anyone's!

For me, these two guys are my "Buddy Emmons" today and i can't thank them and others enough for the continued success of steel guitar because of them.

I ain't nobody but Buddy Emmons is why i started playing and the reason my steel has "Emmons" on the front of it! Tommy White and Paul Franklin is why i keep learning everyday!

All the best "Big E"!
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Well said Mike Cass.
I will soon be seventy nine and still remember very well who inspired my generation.
I guess early on it was Jerry Byrd for me . Then L.T.Zinn and Roy Wiggins.. I had the honor to share a venue with Roy Ayres when I was fifteen years old. He took some time to talk to me and gave me some much needed tip.We learned a lot by listening the 78 RPM records of that time.
There were many more good pickers, but then along came Emmons and the whole steel guitar world changed.
I think the point that a lot of folks miss is how simple Buddy played on ballads. He made me realize how you can milk a beautiful tone out of one or two strings. From him I learned when all else fails...play the melody. It amazes me how many beginners want to play nothing but licks.
This is all my two cents and maybe not worth that much.
PS: Mike Cass, you are no slouch on this horn either.

Old Bud
Ron Frederiksen

Post by Ron Frederiksen »

Just sit back and keep your eyes and ears on Austin Stewart. For a young picker, he has a lot of miles already. Just AWSOME. Keep it up Austin..... Ron
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

It's a shame that the thread title has been completely changed.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ransom's agenda is mysterious. i didn't even know he didn't feel he was getting enough respect and attention til i read another post of his.

then again, buddy gets total respect without asking.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

There are a handful of members here whose posts I never bother to open; Ransom's not quite yet in 'Hankey-Land' but it's touch-and-go right now!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I like Buddy because he touchs hearts with his playing ability and because he's a good guy! He's been great to Gregg and family.
We all thank you, Buddy Emmons!
Ben Rubright

Post by Ben Rubright »

I have been aware of Buddy since about 1956 or '57. If I had to describe him in one word it would be TASTE. There are guys that play fast and furious for the sake of playing fast and furious ..............Buddy never did.......not that he couldn't play fast and furious but if he did there was a reason for doing it. I have seen and heard him play in person several times and I sure do miss him. Long live the KING!!!!! Give me Darrell McCall singing and Buddy playing steel and it is heaven on earth.....we all love you, Buddy. Your playing tugs at our heart strings and always will.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Ransom changed the thread title to 'Why I hate Buddy Emmons', and once I commented on this he changed it yet again. I think he has lost credibility as far as I am concerned.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Bob Farlow

Something has been overlooked here.......

Post by Bob Farlow »

I can't help but believe there is more to Buddy Emmons'fantastic career than his own self-determination and God-given ability to play the pedal steel guitar. And that was his wonderful and loving wife Peggy. I met her on just one occasion, but let me tell you, I know she played a tremendous part in giving Buddy the love, caring, and support he so richly deserved. If it weren't for her, things might have turned out differently. God rest her soul, and God bless Buddy Emmons.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

there will only be one
Long Live the Pope !..... :mrgreen:
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'm wondering who will be the next b0b. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I believe that we are all irreplaceable. Every person is unique. Every person touches many lives in many different ways.

Popular artists like Buddy touch the hearts and minds of strangers and change the course of musical history. Each artist affects that course in different ways. The ripples last for decades, perhaps for centuries now that music recording technology has evolved.

Did anyone ask "Who will be the next Alvino Rey?" I don't think so, but it's obvious that Speedy West and built on Rey's innovations, and Curley Chalker built on his. The influence of an innovator can be immense.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Another b0b? I don't think I could take it. :lol: :lol:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

b0b wrote:I'm wondering who will be the next b0b. :mrgreen:
Bill Hankey? :D
Bill Bailey

Buddy

Post by Bill Bailey »

:D For me, the things that I hear most in Buddy's playing is that his phraising is so like a vocalist, the way he does it is like you can hear the shape of words, where there is no one singing.If that makes any sense to you??? Never be another Buddy Emmons, IMHO
Bill Bailey
Kingman Arizona
2014 Mullen G2 D 10 8+5 Black
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

b0b wrote:I'm wondering who will be the next b0b. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I believe that we are all irreplaceable. Every person is unique. Every person touches many lives in many different ways.

Popular artists like Buddy touch the hearts and minds of strangers and change the course of musical history. Each artist affects that course in different ways. The ripples last for decades, perhaps for centuries now that music recording technology has evolved.

Did anyone ask "Who will be the next Alvino Rey?" I don't think so, but it's obvious that Speedy West and built on Rey's innovations, and Curley Chalker built on his. The influence of an innovator can be immense.
You are definitely irreplaceable, b0b.
Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

The point about Buddy has been addressed very well, but I'm amazed that when great modern players are mentioned, one of my favorites, Randy Beavers, is omitted.
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Mike Cass wrote: Im still waiting to hear any other steel player bring it home like Buddy does. I suspect I'll have a long wait....... :)
Mike, you came really close when I heard you at St. Louis in 2001 or 2002. You moved me, but I'll admit that it didn't quite hit the 'Buddy bar'. But then, nobody has. :)
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

As far as pushing the envelope like Emmons has done throughout his career, Dave Easley comes to mind. Putting steel on the map the average music fan has in his/her glove compartment, probably Robert Randolph.
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Well said, MC! I've been in the music room and have been so amazed with the stuff he was pulling out of the air that I was speechless.

Check this out, too: What Other People Are Saying About Buddy Emmons!
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com