Who will be the next Buddy Emmons

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ransom Beers

Who will be the next Buddy Emmons

Post by Ransom Beers »

I'm happy about the things I've done. Not always happy about the results, but happy about the decisions, because I made them myself. And I think that's an important way to go through life.
Last edited by Ransom Beers on 8 Jan 2012 4:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

There is not, nor will there ever be another Buddy Emmons.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Buddy is like Mickey Mantle. Guys like that usually only come in groups of one.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

While I agree with you, Johnny, (there are literally thousands of great gypsy jazz guitarists, but there'll never be another Django!) I think I understand the question.
We just need to keep our ears open for the innovative and emotionally stunning players out there now, and to come. And those of us who can, need to support and nurture the "idea" of steel guitar. Who knows what amazements we're in for!
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Johnny Cox wrote:There is not, nor will there ever be another Buddy Emmons.
Well said. Buddy Emmons' contribution to steel guitar is way beyond comparison with anyone else. His playing has set a standard that others strive to achieve, and at best emulate. Throw in his guitar designs and development of pedal tunings/set ups and you come up with someone who is completely and utterly unique.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

I never said "Take the place of",what I mean is be as good as .
Al Miller

Amen!!!

Post by Al Miller »

I second johnny's statement with about 3trillion Quotation marks behind it !!!!!!!!!!!!. There will also never be another Hughey,Mooney,Day,Franklin,White, Johnson,Cox,Charleton,Knight,Green ,etc...etc... You get the picture . The likes of younger players coming up and surpassing names like the ones written above in my opinion will never happen . Why do I say this you ask ??.. Just go to a steel show and listen to what 99.999% of the younger guys are playing. Emmons licks , Day Licks , and in some cases entire arrangements." A way to survive" comes to mind and so on .. How could we as up and comers ever hope to surpass an alien mind such as Emmons if we continue to approach our instrument as he already has pioneered it? I for one hope to learn as many Emmons passages and secrets if you will as I can in my life as he and Charleton are my all time Heroes. But then again I'm not trying to surpass them just scotch a little of the surface they have Already walked on... You forget fellers that most of those steel instrumental recordings from the early days were performed Live With one take they are pieces of art to never ever be duplicated in some cases even by the artist themselves so Johnny cox your statement speaks volumes hoss .. Just my 2 cents I hope I didn't offend anyone..
Boo Miller
AL (BOO) Miller
Mullen D10
76 Emmons P/P
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

We live in the computer age.

The pedal steel licks that we'll hear in the not-so-distant-future will be artificially generated, probably in a nano-second, by a silicon chip, and will be indistinguishable from the sounds produced by the great players of the past and present.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ransom Beers on 7 Jan 2012 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

We live in the computer age.

The pedal steel licks that we'll hear in the not-so-distant-future will be artificially generated, probably in a nano-second, by a silicon chip, and will be indistinguishable from the sounds produced by the great players of the past and present.
I don't think so. While they may be able to duplicate the sounds and possibly licks, they won't be able to replicate the feel and emotion that a player injects into those licks. We already see this with other instruments they have duplicated like sax, violin, etc.

As far as the Buddy Emmons question, NO ONE can replace him, but many are as good, and many more will be. The topic of good is subjective. Many on here think Sneaky Pete is the be all to end all, I can barely listen to him.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Last edited by Ransom Beers on 7 Jan 2012 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jelle Biel

"He's not an ordinary guy," Lloyd Green

Post by Jelle Biel »

Let's hear all the TOP-steelPlayers about Buddy
First :
Johnny Cox,(well said)
"There is not, nor will there ever be another Big E! "

LIoyd Green (copy of a magizine )

"He's not an ordinary guy," Lloyd Green says. "In my opinion Buddy Emmons is probably the most intelligent and talented musician who's ever played the instrument."
"He's like Picasso or Michelangelo. That might be laying it on a little thick, but he's just flawless in his playing. Nobody is the composite player he is."
"He was the first modern great steel player and nobody's surpassed him yet. Emmons just, by God, came along and sounded like a 1977 steel player when he came here in 1955."

By the Way We (in the North of the Netherlands) are total AGREE !

Jelle Biel
Last edited by Jelle Biel on 31 Dec 2011 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

The steel guitar doesn't seem to play the same role in music as it did in the past. When a new popular song is released nowadays and it has steel in it, it's in the background. Forget about hearing a signiture steel lick or phrasing that defines the song. This new style of music arrangement puts the steel player at a disadvantage for brainstorming new ideas. I think the last new song I heard where steel defined the song was "Your Man" by Josh Turner.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

There is NO "next" Buddy Emmons. He IS the father of the pedal steel guitar. An historic figure. There is only one. To suggest that Buddy Emmons will be forgotten is wrong. He is a part of music history. Was Mozart forgotten? I don't think you understand what he did or who he is. No one will ever equal Buddy Emmons.
Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 31 Dec 2011 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Emmy Buddons..... :lol: :lol:
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Robert Brown

Post by Robert Brown »

Mickey, You're too much. :lol: :D I hear he plays an EMM-BUD, His own pull-pull design. :roll: Bob
Zum D10 8x6 w/Alumitone's,Fender D8,Regal Dobro,Fender twin reverb, Peavey nashville 112,Hilton pedal,Peterson Strobo-flip,BJS&Zirc Bars,George L's cables
Sonny Priddy

Emmons

Post by Sonny Priddy »

I Would would say Tommy white is Next In Line. Tommy is A Great player. Sonny.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Kevin Hatton wrote:There is NO "next" Buddy Emmons. He IS the father of the pedal steel guitar. An historic figure. There is only one. To suggest that Buddy Emmons will be forgotten is wrong. He is a part of music history. Was Mozart forgotten? I don't think you understand what he did or who he is. No one will ever equal Buddy Emmons.
Who suggested that Buddy Emmons will be forgotten??

Mozart was not forgotten. But there was Beethoven, and Schubert, and Brahms, and......

But there is still, and will always be, Mozart.
Last edited by Brint Hannay on 31 Dec 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

God made only 1 Buddy Emmons - often imitated . . . . never duplicated!!!!
As Tom Brumley once said: :"don't try to sound like me, sound like yourself!"
JB
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I have always thought some people were destined to be great. Buddy Emmons fulfilled the calling placed on his life. I agree there will never be another Buddy Emmons but someone will stand out among all of us. Buddy Emmons is what I considered to be the "Total Package" when it came to steel guitar. Like everyone else, the body ages and we just cannot do what we did in the past. His contributions will never be matched.
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

ok I know I'm going to rub some feathers here but what the heck...I agree with JC and would take it one step further...Why would we want another Buddy Emmons, or Paul, or John...I would wager they would all agree with Mr Brumley....Be yourself....With all due respect and I mean respect....I think we are overlooking a lot of players in the middle age bracket..... Again with all due respect Austin Stewart is some one I consider an awesome player and a dear friend....However do we rule out people just because they are not in mainstream recording, out on the road or don't show up at a lot of steel shows??? What about Buck Reid, MIlo Deering, Randal Currie, and many more..... I've heard some solo work from Tim Sargent that is knocked out...I love all their playing cause of their unique styles....Oh their are a ton of monstors out there we just don't here much from them .....Have you ever heard Jim Bob Garrett play orange blossom???Scarey.....They're out there...oh yes they're out there...
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

And Buddy Emmons laid the ground work for all of them.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

There wil be players who are faster (already are), play more complex stuff, but Buddy set in motion standards that will be recognized far into the future. I like the Mozart analogy. Buddy's techniques will be utilized (even unknowingly)by future players. He set the bar high and the instrument is forever defined by his influence.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Chet Wilcox

Post by Chet Wilcox »

Buddy,is also in the encylopedia books.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Last edited by Ransom Beers on 7 Jan 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.