MagicJack PLUS - Does Not Allow Internet Access

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Chip Fossa

MagicJack PLUS - Does Not Allow Internet Access

Post by Chip Fossa »

I decided to give MagicJack PLUS a spin. Got the device in the mail a couple days ago.

Here's what's goin' on: When MJ is being used in the AC mode and I'm going thru a Motorola SB5101 Surfboard modem [with only one receptacle] I get a dialtone but when I dial a number, the phone goes dead. The Internet error screen about being able to connect to your IPS, pop's up. Once the ethernet cable from MJ to the Motorola is disconnected, the Internet is back-up and running

When MJ is plugged directly into a USB port, it seems to work OK.

Can anyone help me here? You simply cannot call anyone at MJ; and sending emails is not that easy. Their website is NOT user friendly IMO.

Even tho MJ failed to mention this [about use WITHOUT the PC on], I think you need an ethernet splitter. 2 cables; 1 to the modem and the other to the PC.

I say and think this because that is eaxctly the setup on Vonage's interface: 1 power cord; 1 phone cable; and 2 ethernet cables.

....maybe the MJ unit is just plain defective.

Is it possible to connect TWO modems in tandem? I know I have another modem around here somewhere; or is this just chumming?

Thanks all; I'd appreciate it muchly. :?
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5; Keyless; Natural Blonde Laquer.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

You need an Ethernet router. You connect the router to the broadband modem. You connect your PC to one port on the router and connect the MagicJack to one of the other ports.

A (good quality) router also provides some hardware firewall protection for your PC.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Chip Fossa

Router

Post by Chip Fossa »

Thanks Jack,

I found this kicking around. It looks like a router; but I wouldn't know if they're all basically the same or not.
Well....I guess not. I was gonna send 3 pics, but it looks like UPLOAD PICTURE has changed. I got sent to some German forum [Beeform?]

Anyway, the box measures 6"x4" and has 1,2,3,4
Ethernet receptacles on one long side and on the other long side are 2 PIN receptacles [printer and com] and right between them is 1 Ethernet receptacle [wan]. On one end is a 5VDC receptacle and a red I/O switch.

It's probably 10-12 years old. Its an SMC Barricade, mdl#SMC7004BR

Will any walwart rated over 5V blow this unit?
If I can use it, I'd better dig up the correct power unit that came with.
Chip
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

OK,

Stupid moi. I forgot to expand the UPLOAD window to see SEND. So again, a lengthy useless discription. :)

Chip
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'll say an "iffy" yes it may work. There is probably no security built into this like modern routers.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Thanks again, Jack...I appreciate it.

Who makes a good router? How much? I hear Linksys makes pretty goods stuff.
Chip
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I like Linksys (owned by Cisco). You can even get them at some Wal-Mart's.

You don't need a "wireless" type just a standard wired router. They come with a control program that you can install on your PC.

Looking at routers, it looks like wireless types are cheaper than a wired. The wireless are what most people buy so the reason they are probably cheaper.

If you have a cell phone that will also operate on wi-fi then a wireless may be an option as you may be able to use the cell phone on wi-fi rather than use cell minutes to access the web.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

In the mean time, I set up the SMC, and as you predicted, it turned out to be "iffy". All the indicator lights came on but the MJ phone had no dial tone.
Also, couldn't access the Intrnt, again. MJ took a long time to load on the desktop, too.

But I found some other things. I tought I had another modem, but it turned out to be a newer router. An Actiontec GT724R; an Ethernet card [and an empty PC slot]; and while checking out [closer] the back of the Motorola modem, I discovered a USB port [not for the flat jack, but the one that looks like the end of a house with part of the roof whacked-off]. And somehow I just happen to have that very cable.

As long as I can safely plug these things in until something works, then I'll be a happy camper.

Chip
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

You can't run two devices simultaneously on the modem. You have to have a separate router to do what you want, with more than one device (the MJ is one device and the PC is the other).

You can "Y" something off and it will work.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Jack,

Long story short - I went back to the SMC router and got magicJack working, plugged into the AC socket. [the Actiontec was actually a dedicated DSL modem and router]

Now, MJ would start-up with it's main page, and then quickly change to a screen asking you if you have MJ yet. Cannot get back to the main page.
On their webpage [on start-up when Windows boots up drop a certain file [Vista] into START/STARTUP MENU.

But what I found in 'mjusbsp' was not a numeric file, but instead, MAGICJACKSPLASH.exe. I clicked on it and nothing happened.

They say just unplug MJ, uninstall from Programs & Features, re-plugin to reinstall.

Well, doesn't install for me now
Chip
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

About this time I would be thinking about running System Restore to before I installed that piece of crap. Then, I'd ask for a RMA and my money back on the MagicJack.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Right-O!, Wiz...

That looks like about the same move as I was thinkin' about.

It just aint workin' for me. Too bad, cuz the price is hard to beat. When it works, it does work; and the sound is very clear.

...but right now, I got bigger problems. Seems like Thunderbird is goin' to pieces. Big-time freezes/starts & stops. Many P-O'd TB users, me included. But this is a topic for another post...
Chip
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Chip Fossa wrote:Right-O!, Wiz...

That looks like about the same move as I was thinkin' about.

It just aint workin' for me. Too bad, cuz the price is hard to beat. When it works, it does work; and the sound is very clear.

...but right now, I got bigger problems. Seems like Thunderbird is goin' to pieces. Big-time freezes/starts & stops. Many P-O'd TB users, me included. But this is a topic for another post...
Take that up on the Mozilla Thunderbird support forum.
Security Consultant
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Things have now turned ugly with MJ. They are a definite rip-off scam.
I sent their dorky device back, certified USPO on 12/5. Have not recieved the return receipt yet. I get 11 days.
All I want is to get back my transferred/ported phoner number; and my dough!!!!
Those slobs got all kinds of blinds goin up. Trickery.
I was, and still am a sucker, but something has got to be done about these blatant lying, false rep, you name it thieves.
I want my money back [$102] and my old phone #.

Who can I turn to? Who can we turn to?

They are RATS of the highest order.

...in case you were'nt aware....there is NO SUPPORT. No email; no phone; ...only a half-assed "chat" room. Friggin' joke. This is the stall, delay, and moron room! :x >:-)
Chip
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

I believe the correct office to complain to is the FCC.
Security Consultant
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Thanks Wiz,

I've seen the FCC recommended on some other sites. I was hoping for something a bit more agile; but, I will attempt to approach the FCC. I will report back here as to what transpired. May take awhile.
Chip
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Go get 'em Chip! They need to be shut down.
Security Consultant
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

This morning I got a 2-day-deadline warning from Vonage saying I have to get a password from MJ before they will release back to me [and Vonage] my old phone number. If not, then the temporary # Vonage issued me would then become permanent.

So I tried MJ again, to see if I could get anywhere and to get some info.

Well, I couldn't believe it. They issued me my password and a refund. And with no questioning
and the fact that I sent back the device without an RMA#. I forgot to do it, and it says right on their website - NO RMA : NO REFUND.

I'm still leery. Time will tell. Probably from Vonage first.
I'm glad I didn't have to jump into the FCC. Their webpage immediately caused my eyes to glaze-over.

I took a snap of the chat >

Chip
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

I'm glad that you are getting this resolved to your satisfaction. Once you are certain that the refund is good and the phone number has been released from MJ, tell me to close the topic.
Security Consultant
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Oh yeah, Wiz...definitely.

I still got my doubts. Even if I luck-out and get it all back, it's still a dumb-bum operation.
Chip
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I have been using Magic Jack for a few years now and have had absolutely no problems. I didn't use the new one Chip is talking about though. I wouldn't necessarily call them a Bum operation. The quality of the sound using the magic jack is just as good as AT&T. I have had equally crappy service from Dell and Microsoft. Really, I think lousy customer service seem to be the rule at High Tech companies. I recently had problems with my Samsung phone from AT&T and could get no help from either company. The only company I have had good dealings with is Adobe.

The customer service problem Chip had was disturbing though. Even though he didn't follow procedure, they should have contacted him and told him so and worked through it at that point. That was not excusable.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Wiz,

I guess you can close this if you want. My refund was deposited in my bank account from MJ; actually they only refunded the $80 sign-up, but not the $20 fee for phone# transfer.

The phone# transfer was scheduled for Dec.20, according to an email from Vonage; but it's now Dec.22, and the transfer has yet to occur.
Chip
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

I'll wait until you get the phone number returned to Vonage before closing this topic.
Security Consultant
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

OK,

Just this morning about 7:45 AM, my good friend up in NH called and it came thru my in-despute #
[5991829].

ie. MJ is now resolved. In today's mail I finally got the return certified receipt. Here it is:

Shut'er down Wiz. And thanks, pard.
Chip
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

All is well that ends well.
Security Consultant