Lee Roy Jones 10/27/1933 - 05/28/2011

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Bryan Powell

Lee Roy Jones 10/27/1933 - 05/28/2011

Post by Bryan Powell »

I apologize to all SGF members for not saying anything sooner. Please forgive me. Our father loved the SGF. he was on it everyday, he never posted anything, that's just the way he rolled, but he knew everything going on within the Forum daily. He loved everything PSG, and then some. The picture is of Lee Roy Jones (dad), with his best friend "Willie" Ethan Williams. I'm guessing sometime mid to late 60's. He took his last breathe around 9:20pm May, 28th, 2011, at home quietly with 2 of his sons, myself, and my youngest brother (bryan, and jerry), playing gospel music on our 6 string acoustics. He was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer about 2 months prior. We are still grieving the loss of our first parent. My brother jerry has my dad's guitar and gear, and has moved to New York. I have all of Willie's PS, and gear. We will need a lot of help to carry on the PS tradition. We appreciate any and all replies. Our father was one of the greats for sure.
Dickie Whitley

Post by Dickie Whitley »

No apologies needed, my deepest condolences for your loss. My Dad passed in '97, I still miss him.
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

My condolences, also , in the passing of your father. May God give you all peace and strength in the days to come.

Skip
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I knew your Dad, great guy and player, him and I played together with Al Bates ....He will be missed....
Bob Kindy

Post by Bob Kindy »

It is always hard to say good by the ones you love. We all ask the Lord to give you confort.
Jim Simon

Post by Jim Simon »

Sad news. I played several jobs with Lee Roy and knew Willie and his brother Bill. All are gone now. I have wondered often about Lee Roy. Thanks for posting this tribute. Great guys and good musicians.
bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

prayers & condolences for the family. bruce & lynn
sho-bud super pro II, blue darlin' VI