Pauses playing Jeff Newman's DVDs

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dick Rivera

Pauses playing Jeff Newman's DVDs

Post by Dick Rivera »

When playing Jeff's DVD there are periodic pauses from 1 to 20 seconds. It does not happen at the same spot if you replay, close though. Tried playing on DVD player, Lap Top (Vista), and my tower PC (X/P). It occurs under all there environments. Any ideas? Dick Rivera
Hans Penner

Post by Hans Penner »

A couple of thoughts;

Have you made a copy and then played the copy on your computer?

Which DVD is doing this?

My guess is that the player is not quick enough to get to the spot you've chosen.

FWIW
At long last, July 14, 2011 and I have a musical instrument I CAN play.
Stage One, Nashville 112, Hilton pedal, Black Box
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Dick, it's likely that your DVD/CD has a defect in the data recorded on it. It's making the player work extra hard to reconstruct the signal. This sometimes happens with discs made in computer disc drives...especially if using a high speed setting. I never record a DVD/CD on a high speed setting.

If this is an original disc from a vendor (ie: Jefran Music), you could request a replacement.

Since your disc does eventually play the material, you could try creating a fresh copy. The pc software you use should be able to read and reassemble the data correctly, though it might take a bit longer than normal because of the bad sections of the disc.

You will want to choose to COPY a disc. The software will then read the digital data and use that to create the new disc. You don't want to just copy the audio signal...that will copy the gaps and dropouts.

Be patient. Once it finishes reading the disc and saving it to your computer,you just burn that data to a new disc...and remember to set the software to record at a slower speed (maybe 8x or 16x at the most). That will create a better quality digital recording on the disc.

I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Mike
Dick Rivera

Jeff Newman DVD pauses reply

Post by Dick Rivera »

I have the Up from the top A & B, Minors, Just play melody, and Techniques. They were all purchased from Fran. I did return one, but the new one also has the same problem. All of Jeff's DVDs contain pauses when playing. It is not from going forward or selecting. I think it is the old VOB format. Thanks, Dick
Hans Penner

Post by Hans Penner »

Dick, I've just been playing the Techniques DVD.
It plays just fine.
True, when when I go fast forward or reverse it will stutter a bit, but then it settles down and plays properly.

If you like, I'd be happy to send you a digital copy of Techniques.
At long last, July 14, 2011 and I have a musical instrument I CAN play.
Stage One, Nashville 112, Hilton pedal, Black Box
Dick Rivera

DVD pauses, Dick

Post by Dick Rivera »

Thanks, but all the Jeff's Newmans DVD have the problem. I'm thinking of purchasing Imtoo software and copying to a new format. Dick