ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

I see that it is no longer available. I hope that one of you fine people on this forum are the reason and that we'll soon see another restored example of Zane's wonderful work.

I will own a Zane built ZB one day ... it's just going to take me a while ... :D
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Post by Paul Frank Bloomfield »

Umm, can't beat a ZB, they will be around forever, I'd
never part with mine ,and when my wife Lin and return to the UK to live next March I'm actually being GIVEN
back my old green ZB D-11/10 for free !!, whose a lucky boy then ??
All the best
frank. Corfu :D :D
" The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you've finished "
ZBSD-10,ZB D-11/10, Franlin Tele,Epiphone customised Les Paul, 'Fender pro 185 amp.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Another Craig's list find on a vintage ZB Custom. $1500 for you Florida players. How about it Duncan? :)

http://daytona.craigslist.org/msg/2670392562.html

Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

I just hear back from the seller, it has been sold.
It looked like a beauty. Have a great night up there in the cold, Russ. We are still sweating down here.
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

I looked at the add too. I dont think it is a 60's model. Looking at the keyheads and pick-ups it looks 70's to me, built in Phoenix. Dont know for sure until the serial number pops up. Duncan, sorry you missed this one but you can always try to deal Chuck back outta his blue one!!! :lol:
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

You'll have to let us know the serial number Greg. They all seem to find their way to your place for a refirb. :D

Duncan, that looked pretty close to your place?

Russ
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

Russ,

I didnt buy it!! I am ZB poor right now and will be selling a couple of them in the future. The buyer has not contacted me for a refurb either. I figured Duncan would have jumped all over that one, its in his neck of the woods!!!

Greg
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Hi Guys - I just wanted to say - that's one of the only ZBs I've ever seen that still has a blue finish - most have faded to brown. This guitar was either refinished (probably not) or stayed out of the sunlight for most of its life. Gorgeous color, looks like a 70s ZB, but Greg's right, have to wait to hear the serial number.

Great lookin' ZB!

LC
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Hi Guys - I just wanted to say - that's one of the only ZBs I've ever seen that still has a blue finish - most have faded to brown. This guitar was either refinished (probably not) or stayed out of the sunlight for most of its life. Gorgeous color, looks like a 70s ZB, but Greg's right, have to wait to hear the serial number.

Great lookin' ZB!

LC
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Greg, I knew you wouldn't buy that ZB, but had it been that 1st ZB that you sold and have been looking for ... all bets are off. :)

Russ
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

the seller says that the serial number is 95633.

Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Seems, like an odd serial number? Too bad Duncan, that one had your name all over it! :)
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Oh well, Russ. Steels come and steels go. I still have to figure out exactly what I am going to do with my non-ZB steel. I do believe that that sums up the brands of steels into the two widely accepted categories of ZB and non-ZB pedal steels. Anyway, I need to figure out whether I am going to change the setup on that one myself, being a mechanical boob I don't see that happening anytime soon, sending it out for someone to compensate for my pathetic mechanical ability, or sending it off to Chuck McGill so he can enjoy it. You know, I'm getting older and the confusion appears to become more and more unrelenting, although most of my friends swear that they can't tell a lick of a difference in my thought processes. I'm not so so sure that Dr. Hunter S. Thompson wasn't right when he, and I am paraphrasing, said that every year over 50 was one more than he wanted, or needed.
Have a great night up north and I love your picture from the Poco Live album...I still have my copy bought in 1976.
Duncan
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Got my copy when it came out ... WOW! Long time ago, but it seems like yesterday. If fact I played that album so much I had to buy a second copy and have two. :)
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Great Record. I was quite taken with the solo breakdown Rusty did in Sagebrush Seranade when I first heard that record. What was the name?
Duncan I guess I may be a few years past that mark you spoke of myself.
Try 7 in Dec. Oh but we loved those boys playing that hippie country music.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

7 for me Chuck next April. :)
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Ok Duncan. Confession time bro. Russ and I share the same music and so do you so.....
Russ this young twenty something drummer that lived here has moved up north and plays sometimes with John David Call. Another steeler I stole from
on a regular basis. Was the record Cantamos?
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Yes. You win! No ZB Custom on that one though. :)

Russ Tkac

Ed Black

Post by Russ Tkac »

Thought I'd copy this info on ZB player Ed Black from the steel players section to the ZB Custom pedal steel thread. He played a blue/ blonde ZB like the one Duncan just missed out on. :)

Ed Black

Black started out in Phoenix, AZ, around 1971 with Goose Creek Symphony. The group traveled to Los Angeles where they opened up for Linda Ronstadt at the Whiskey a Go Go and Ronstadt, along with her producer, John Boylan, convinced Black and drummer, Mickey McGee to join her band. In agreeing to their offer Black wound up playing on Ronstadt's albums, Don't Cry Now, Heart Like a Wheel, and Prisoner in Disguise, touring with her band in between releases as well.

Ed Black took the pedal steel guitar and Dobro, traditionally country and western instruments, into the world of rock music. Black wasn't the first to do this but he was one of the most memorable, having recorded the distinctive, screaming solo in Linda Ronstadt's "Silver Threads and Golden Needles" as an early example.

Black left Ronstadt's band after 1975 and concentrated on his studio prowess, appearing on albums by Tracy Chapman, Gene Clark, Dwight Yoakam, and many other high-profile artists until 1990 when his health began to fail. In 1998 the music world was robbed of a very talented innovator in Ed Black, who passed away at barely 50 years old.

Here is a video of Ed with Linda Ronstadt from 1973.

http://youtu.be/CZCsntj-wkY :)
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

You can really here the ZB distinctive tone in that clip. Just classic tone.
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Yes Kevin. It sounds like a steel should sound. Russ I have listened to Mr. Black many times. Those guys were changing the way we listened to music back then. So fresh to my ears. Was he any relation to Bobby? Another great
steeler for Commander Cody days.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Chuck McGill wrote: Was he any relation to Bobby?
I don't think so Chuck. Here is another song Ed Played on and you can hear that he listened to Tom Brumley with Buck! Great J. D. Souther tune also.

http://youtu.be/MgOnxvmwoGc :)

Those twin steel dates he did with Dan Dugmore were really special to my 19 year old ears!
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Here's some great footage of Al Perkins on the ZB, live at Winterland, San Francisco, 1973.
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/manassas/ ... 92526.html
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Very cool Dave! I went to a concert in 1972 with Manassas at the Pine Knob Music Theater, Clarkston Mi. Brings back great memories. :)
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Al just received that ZB on that video. Less than a year ealier he was playing his Fender.