Lucky to have Lucky Oceans in LoUiSiAna Nov. 1 !

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Milton Guilbeau

Lucky to have Lucky Oceans in LoUiSiAna Nov. 1 !

Post by Milton Guilbeau »

We're lucky! From across the ocean, here is Lucky Oceans. On Wednesday, November 1, day after 2morreau, Lucky will be in for a mini steel guitar jam at La Poussiere's Dancehall in Breaux Bridge, LoUiSiAna. If you are anywhere within X number of miles from Lafayette, Louisiana, just come-on-down. Breaux Bridge is only six miles east of Lafayette on I-10. They hope to start at 7 PM and end at 11 PM.

Some of the confirmed pickers besides Lucky are Buck Grantham, Bill Stafford, Charlie Moore, Richard Comeaux and Junior Martin. Dan Cormier, Murnell Babineaux and others may also be there and perform. No word yet from Marty Broussard but our fingers are X’ed. Bill Stafford was kind enough to bring with him Mr. Bob Saxton who will be doing his wonderful styles of guitar work with the steelers as he has been doing in Gulfport and other places. Mr. Jeff Blackwell will work the mic, a true professional person, knows steel guitars and most importantly, knows steel guitarists.

Sorry to say the Pee Wee Whitewing will be under the "X" in TeXas all week and Joe Rogers will be 'drilling' under the "X" in the Gulf of MeXico to help lower gas prices. They will both be missed.

We are sorry for this very short notice. If you can, come by and see Lucky and his lucky lady, Christine. La Poussiere Dancehall is located at 1215 Grand Point Ave in Breaux Bridge. If you need directions, email me or post on this thread.

My friends and neighbors, Junior and Patsy Martin of Martin Accordions here in Lafayette are sponsoring this get-together honoring Lucky Oceans. We thank them for their continued support of the SG community.

Milton Guilbeau

------------------
"One never retires from music, any more than one retires from breathing."
Charlie Moore

Post by Charlie Moore »

Man what a night that will be,just to hear Mr.Buck make's it a night to remember,if you have'nt heard Richard Comeaux you are in for a treat no doubt La.'s best..c ya there...Charlie....
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

Hey !!!! We going to have a large time . You all come over......
Milton Guilbeau

Post by Milton Guilbeau »

Two things. First, I apologize to R.J. Buras for not showing him on the list. As you know, R.J. excels playing his Excel guitar.

Secondly, gumbeau (gumbo) has been added to the mix. Mr. Larrell Richard will be head of the pot. He is well known for his gumbo and other Cajun cooking, great guy, great storyteller. Visit with him, it will be a treat.

------------------
"One never retires from music, any more than one retires from breathing."
Jeff Blackwell

Post by Jeff Blackwell »

Milton, we plan on coming over to kick up our heels with you. Can't miss the line up...and of course, that good gumbo! We gonna pass a good time, yeah!

------------------
Jeff Blackwell
Emmons D-10 LeGrande - Nashville 400

Add it to the calendar at www.steelguitargear.com

Doug Childress

Post by Doug Childress »

Milton, some of the guys from Orange, Texas plan on being there. Never want to miss out on good gumbo!!! Carroll Benoit (maker of the Benoit resonators) is coming and bringing Huey Buxton (fiddle player). I will be there with a visitor (Bob Burns) who builds mandolins and guitars. Looking forward to a great evening of music and fellowship.
Jr. Martin

Post by Jr. Martin »

We always have a long, long time (two weeks) to plan a fais-doo-doo steel guitar jam for Lucky Oceans when he is in North America. We are glad to know Mrs. Lucky with him this time. Thanks for the help of Milton Gumbo (Guilbeau) for helping organize this function.

It’s always a treat to have Lucky and all the other pickers that are invited. We have invited about 250 persons. We want to remind you that there is no cover charge and every ticket gets a free bowl of chicken and sausage gumbo. We are very fortunate that Laurence and Judy Patin has offered us the use of their dance hall for this steel jam party.
Thanks goes out to Jeff Blackwell for participating, what a treat having him do the MC chores. There are many others we need to thank, too many names to mention here. Thanks to Randy Falcon, Randy Leblanc and Larrell Richard for supplying some of the groceries. There are many other thanks in order, especially my wife, Patsy.

If you are, not too far away tomorrow night, please come by and “Laissez Les Bon Temp Rouler.” (Greek for ‘Let the good times roll.’)

Junior Martin
D-10 Pedalmaster, D-10 Excel, Gerry Walker Stereo Amp, Hilton Pedal, Teacher – Richard “T-Coe” Comeaux

Huey P. Moore

Post by Huey P. Moore »

There will be some great fiddle music with Huey Buxton,will be good to see Buck,Jeff Blackwel,Richard,Mr.Guilbeaux,Junior Martin If I left anyone out it will be good to see you there also,LOL....Huey

------------------
Andy Hinton

Post by Andy Hinton »

Hey Ya'll. I just don't think I could let this one get by me. Got to take a 2 day vacation & drive 4 hrs. but I'll be there. Won't try to pick, but I'll be bringing the two lattest Steel Gitfiddles for anyone interested to see/play. See ya'll tomorrow. Andy H.

Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

Many thanks to Jr. & Patsy Martin and Milton Guilbeaux for inviting me to be at your "Lucky Oceans" jam. It was all as expected and much-more-so! Getting to see and hear Lucky and Pee Wee Whitewing perform together was a choice act. Bob Saxton sends his thanks also.
Steel Guitar Cajun Music at its best! And the gumbo would compete quite well with the Mississippi gumbeaux we sometimes serve here in Gulfport at DSSGs.
Speculation is on that this great Cajun Music will be again heard on the DSSG stage. More on this as it develops.
And with the great Buck Grantham on stage there at Beau Bridge, the real Cajun music festival last night was in the best of hands.Richard Comeaux-WOW! What a player.
Thanks to all for a wonderful night.
Bill Stafford
Doug Childress

Post by Doug Childress »

What a great time in Lafayette last night!!! Excellent musicians....fantastic steel players and backup band....and the gumbo was sensational. Lucky Oceans, Buck Grantham, Murnel Babineaux, Richard Comeaux, "Mr. Smooth" Bill Stafford, Jr. Martin, and others. Special tip of the hat to Huey Buxton on fiddle. Thanks to Milton Gilbeau for the invitation. I had heard Richard Comeaux on a lot of cajun albums but this guy plays steel guitar classics on the E9th that gives you goose bumples. Richard is a young steel player that should be on the major steel show circuit...
Doug Childress

Post by Doug Childress »

Sorry to have not mentioned Pee Wee Whitewing on the list of players....he was playing just as I came in and I caught the last couple of numbers of his set.......great as always from a HOF member.
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

We had a wonderful time at the jam. And the gumbo was great. Our thanks go out to Junior and Patsy Martin and Milton (Beau Beau} Guilbeau for setting this up . Lucky was in perfect form. It's always great to go over there and play some music with our friends. Richard Comeaux almost burned my ears off. Bill Stafford hit us with those big pretty chords. Pee Wee is playing great as usual. I thought the back up band did a wonderful job with Mr Saxton playing some real good lead guitar. I was real impressed with Freddie Pate's guitar playing. All in all it was a very large time and we really appreciate having the use of the Club to play in .
Mike Hoover

Post by Mike Hoover »

FANTASTIC, all that needs to be said. I found out about the jam on my way to work in Kinder, some how I made a wrong turn at Alex and found my self in Breaux Bridge. Man what a great bunch of players, I did not know that Lucky Oceans would be there, what a treat, great player and person. I had heard Jr. Martin and Richard Comeaux on CD's, but not in person, that was a treat to see them in person. Mitzy brought her steel player with her and let him entertain the crowd while she took pictures. I totaly enjoyed the evening, if you were not there you missed a great evening of music.

Mike

ps The gumbeaux would make you slap you papa<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Hoover on 02 November 2006 at 04:07 PM.]</p></FONT>
Lucky Oceans

Post by Lucky Oceans »

I have arrived back in Austin (not quite Australia yet) after having had the BEST time at the Breaux Bridge Occasional Steel Guitar Festival at La Poussiere on Wednesday Night.

Thanks so much to Junior and Patsy Martin and Milton Guilbeau for organizing it on such short notice - they did a fantastic job! Thanks also to the owners of La Poussiere for sticking with us until the last lick was played, to Walter Mouton for the use of his PA system and to the great musicians who drove from far and wide.

All the steel guitarists had their own styles - Junior Martin with his cajun soul sounds playing with Walter Mouton to open the show, Pee Wee Whitewing swinging away (how did he remember all the parts of 'In the Mood'), Buck Grantham finding such interesting ways of playing those beautiful melodies, Richard Comeaux weaving and bending those complex threads in and out, Murnell Babineaux digging in and going for it and Bill Stafford putting some mellow amidst all the twang with his deep singing tones.

Great work also by fiddler Huey Buxton, guitarist Bob Saxton and guitarist Freddie Pate who did a great job of MC-ing. And the gumbo was fantastic! Thanks from Christine and I for showing us the best Louisiana hospitality.

Jr. Martin

Post by Jr. Martin »

There are not enough words to express my sincere thanks to all of you who attended the steel guitar jam in honor of Lucky Oceans. The steel players who participated in playing were some of the best of the best.

I have been receiving many phone calls and e-mails from everyone who attended (some of the people had no idea what was going to happen.

The most asked question was when is there going to be another one. Maybe if we all get together and e-mail Lucky he will feel bad and not wait another decade to come back.

In all seriousness, thanks again to all the musicians who played (the backup musicians, the MC - Freddie Pate and of course Milton Guilbeaux who help set this up. If it was up to us musicians we would play for 24 hours plus, but my wife said 5 hours only.

Many thank to Laurence and Judy Patin for donating the use of the club, and has promised us the use of the club again.

And last but not least I cannot forget my wife, Patsy, Chritine, Lucky's wife for there patient and understanding of us musicians. Those of you who left early were lucky enough to have gone home before Patsy turned out the lights. lol

Junior

Doug Childress

Post by Doug Childress »

Who were the drummers, bass players, and keyboard musician....those guys were on top of everything all night!!!!
Mike Hoover

Post by Mike Hoover »

I did not mean to leave out Murnell or Pee Wee, I was still suffering jet lag, 7 hours of driving to get to Breaux Bridge, and then an hour to Kinder after the jam, got there late and had to get up early. Bill Thanks for letting me play bass behind you and all the rest, was a real pleasure for me. Not to mention the great fiddle work of Huey and the guitar of Bob Saxton. I hope I am in the area for the next jam.

Mike
Murnel Babineaux

Post by Murnel Babineaux »

I had a great time picking with all of the steel players last wednesday night! Special thanks goes out to Gary Breaux, Oran Guidry Jr. and all of the musicians on stage helping out. We didn't do much hammer on cajun picking, but it went well! That would have been much different if Bobby Bowman would have been there! HAHA. I just had to, bobby!!!

Murnel