Musician of the Year CMA Award!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

how did you know if you didn't care to pay attention?

and..Alan...and..Strait..
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

I never said I didn't watch it. You made that part up yourself. I just have no expectations that there will be any particular focus on steel guitar and no misconception that my opinion matters at all in the selection process. My wife watched most of it and I happened to see that Mac won Instrumentalist of the Year.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

What did he do to earn it ? Who does he play with ect.. Come to think of it, who cares?
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I don't care either, Joe, but this might help with your questions ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_McAnally
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Once again, allow me to join others to invoke the disclaimer: "Who Cares?"

And to elaborate on one of my earlier posts: Why would anyone care, not only about CMA Musician of the Year, but also about something like the National League Most Valuable Player - even if they are baseball fans? After all, it's not going to effect what happens to you today, or tomorrow, or the next day.

So now that I've gotten that out of the way, why Mac for the fourth straight year?

I don't know. The man is a fine musician and a successful songwriter, and in reading the profile to which Barry provided the link, as a young guy he was brought on board at the fabled Muscle Shoals studio as a session player.

But is he in Nashville week in and week out toiling away at sessions like Paul and Brent and adding flavor to popular releases? It doesn't seem like it. So I guess I'm still not clear on what constitutes being the "Musician of the Year."

Maybe it's because he, to use another baseball analogy, is a good all round player and does a number of different things well. Picker, singer, songwriter, producer.

And he's been seen on stage with Jimmy Buffett and Kenny Chesney and doesn't look too pale and pastey from endless hours in the studios. :wink:
Mark
John Richmond

Mac McAnally

Post by John Richmond »

I for one would like to congratulate Mac for winning four years in a row. Way too modest, Mac plays at shows and concerts wearing a strap for his guitar which reads NOBODY. Wrong........

Like many others here, I feel that it's high time Paul Franklin was chosen instrumentalist of the year, most valuable player, etc., by the CMA. His omission is one reason I call that organization "Country My A$$" in my more cynical moments.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I congratulate Mac for winning the Musician of the Year.
I also congratulate the other nominees for being nominated and I do care about this award no matter if you like the way country music is today! :)