Playing steel with handicaps.................

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ray Montee

Playing steel with handicaps.................

Post by Ray Montee »

If I understand it correctly, Jules Ah See, had a deformed left hand. A custom glove was made that would permit the holding of a steel bar.

With that and his burning desire to pursue the music he loved...... Jules went on to become a living legend in Hawaiian Music circles and the steel guitar
community.

YOU TUBE is featuring a number of videos at this time showing Jules playing his fabulous style. If you want to see vintage steel guitar stylists and hear the music of that era.....you might drop into
the jerrybyrdchannel, hosted by Stein-frederic of Norway.

You're certain to enjoy it.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Ray, I think you're confusing Jules w/Billy Hew Len. If Jules had any handicap it wasn't to the degree of Billy's who cut off at least a major part of his bar hand, if not all of it. With his custom glove he could even get some minor slants in, which may explain why he went with pedals at times.
Matthew Dawson

Post by Matthew Dawson »

Jules used pedals sometimes.......
Ray Montee

You guys are correct!

Post by Ray Montee »

You may have tho't for a moment that Montee had walked himself into a corner but you know, this was only a TEST! I just had to discover who WAS, and who Wasn't reading this post.

By all means....you're 100% accurate.

Thanks for so noting.....and calling it to the attention of the entire world. It is appreciated!
John Bushouse

Post by John Bushouse »

Andy Iona was missing his right hand thumb, wasn't he?
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

I have plenty of handicaps when it comes to steel, although I am in possession of all my senses and digits...if you get my meaning. I'm an FHB--fallible human being, with too little discipline and too much desire to emulate Joaquin, Vance, Speedy, et. al.
Dave Stewart

Handicapped

Post by Dave Stewart »

GFI has been able to meet a wide variety of custom steel needs. We have designed and built left-handed steels, steels with heel and toe pedals, steels for handicapped players, and steels with unusual and complicated setups.
STEELS FOR HANDICAPPED PLAYERS
Music makes the world a better place.
basilh

Re: Handicapped

Post by basilh »

Dave Stewart wrote:
GFI has been able to meet a wide variety of custom steel needs. We have designed and built left-handed steels, steels with heel and toe pedals, steels for handicapped players, and steels with unusual and complicated setups.
STEELS FOR HANDICAPPED PLAYERS
BUT refused to make one for me !!
Tom Grosz

Post by Tom Grosz »

It was amazing to realize the amount of dexterity required to play steel guitar, and have sometimes wondered how I would cope if I no longer had them.
Furthermore, I am encouraged to see many innovations that allow folks to learn or continue to play an instrument!