Why don't folks use this thumb pick?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Lipsey

Why don't folks use this thumb pick?

Post by Steve Lipsey »

The rounded edges give no more string noise than plastic picks (unlike the flatter metal picks), which is the usual reason for not using metal on your thumb (i.e., on the wound strings)..at least according to my unscientific testing....

It seems metal is better for picking - or why use metal finger picks on the unwound strings?

...and they don't get soft or slippery when hot, and can be sized to fit comfortably.....I have them from my slide guitar/dobro days and haven't switched to plastic....

Is plastic better? Why?

Thanks...

Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

My experience is that they give more scratch noise. I don't need to add more noise.
Last edited by Lane Gray on 12 Nov 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Billy McCombs

Post by Billy McCombs »

Steve I use them and have for 4 yrs. I had a problem with the plastic one breaking. I read were Bobbe Seymour of Steel guitar Nash. said that a lot of Pros were using metal thumb picks so I gave it a try. I really like them and they don't break. PS Sarah Jory uses them.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I like to use the same thumbpick for steel and guitar which requires some back and forth movement (like a flatpick) and these don't work well for that. Also I can sense a little sizzle when attempting to pick block with a metal thumbpick which you don't get with the Herco nylons that I use.......JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Pat Haley

Post by Pat Haley »

I bought 2 thumb picks from Blue Chip Picks to play my reso. I have not had a chance to try them on the PSG. Hope to try them when I get home next week. Here is a link.

http://shop.bluechippick.net/

I also ordered some ProPicks. Again I will try them next week when I get home. Here is their link.

http://www.guptillmusic.com/index.html

Has anyone tried these?
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Pat-
I switched from propicks (from slide and dobro days) to National or Jeff Newman picks....the propicks bend too easily and get folded over, and the double tab kind are really comfortable but the lower tab catches on the strings of a pedal steel...
Geoff Cline

Some folks DO use this pick

Post by Geoff Cline »

See my avatar. I also use blue Chip thumb picks...but I LOVE my OLD National!
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

I have used metal thumbpicks for many years. I use an old National (very similar to the Dunlop) for banjo and Dobro. They don't wear down as easily as plastic, and I really didn't like the raspy sound I got from a worn plastic thumbpick. They do wear down eventually, fwiw.

I use a Propick for my pedal steel work. I like the thin blade, feels very accurate and precise. I do like the fact that a metal band is pretty easy to fit to the thumb. And to adjust.

I have found that metal picks are a tad heavier than plastic, and my speed (especially on banjo) is affected, but not in a terribly significant way.

The Blue Chip (great flatpicks) was a little too slick on the strings for me. I like a bit of grab.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Because I use something else. Actually, I have never heard or tried a metal thumb pick that I like the tone from. I am perfectly happy with my Golden Gate thumb picks.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Mike Pace

Post by Mike Pace »

I have a couple of the National style ones in my bag, but for the past several years I've used the Propicks metal thumbs..... I like them a lot, and have given some away to fellow steelers around here, with positive feedback. Even when playing tele, I now find it hard to go back to plastic.
Jerry Tillman

Thumb pick thief

Post by Jerry Tillman »

I gave Russ Hicks a thumb pick made out of tortoise shell,very hard to make,to give to Buddy Emmons.He kept it and never gave it to him.Great sounding pick.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

I guess metal thumb picks aren't as uncommon as I thought....some like 'em, some don't, that's just the way things go...but at least I don't feel like I am crazy or stupid, now...